sotexallen
Kudos: 1

Beginner using Bullet M2 HP

I am computer and internet savy but configuring a wireless outdoor system is new to me.
What I want: To transmit wireless internet transmission, (WiFi I guess) to my rental house which is approx. 300' away. I would also like this wireless transmission to be a WiFi signal for cell phones and i-pads alike as I am outdoors.
What I bought which was recommended by a Network Equipment Distributor is
a. Bullet M2 HP
b. 2.4 Ghz 8dBi Omni Antenna
c. Nano Station 2
d. MikrMax 24v POE

The Nano 2 is mounted on my rental house which which in turn will be hooked up to a wireless router inside the house to supply 2 desktop computers hardwired and cell phone Ipad wireless service.

All of my equipment is mounted and installed.

The delema, I configured the Bullet like manuals have said but I am either not configuring correctly or just plain doing something wrong. At this point I just want my Bullet to transmit wireless signal.
I have downloaded the Quick Start Manual, the airOS user manual (very in depth) and the M series beginners guide which will work great for my Nano Station if I can get that far. I am stumped and request greater knowledge and wisdom than mine.
First do I have the right equipment to do what I want? Next, is there a easier, simpler terms manual guide I can use? My last effort will be to hire a Network Technician to bail me out but I like learning as I play.

Chris
SuperUser
WHT
Kudos: 5775
Solutions: 128

Re: Beginner using Bullet M2 HP

That really isn't the best choice of equipment. I'm assuming you have the Bullet and omni antenna at the head end.
You could have gotten by with a pair of $49 Loco M5 (if no trees in the way) or Loco M2 radios. If you used the Loco M2, set the rental house wireless router on a different channel than the roof radio.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
sotexallen

I have no trees in between me and the rental. Yes, the Bullet and Omni is on my house which has my internet feed. What is the ideal use of a Bullet M2? If I install another Loco M2 instead of the Bullet, would this act more like a bridge between my house and the rental house only or will I also be able to pick up WiFi from my house (head end) Loco M2?
..and the roof radio you are referring to is the Bullet M2?
Thanks for all help, I am already learning more.
Chris
SuperUser
Dave-D
Kudos: 4045
Solutions: 489

This is a crazy choice of equipment. And
they didn't even supply genuine Ubiquiti
PoE supplies. But I see the strategy.

Use the Bullet as a simple access point.
Set it to AP mode, select an SSID and
a channel; be sure to set the channel
width to 20MHz. Plug the radio's PoE
supply 'LAN' port into your network.

At this point, check that a laptop or
other WiFi client can associate with this
radio and access the Internet.

Finally, set the NanoStation to client
mode, using the same SSID and channel
as the Bullet. Be sure again to set its
channel to 20MHz--not 'auto 20/40'.
This radio should associate with the
Bullet; lights should show a connection.

Connect the NanoStation's PoE 'LAN'
port to your wireless access point inside
the building. Dave
No disclaimer. Nothing to sell. I need to fix that.
sotexallen

Dave
Good info. I will configure as stated and see how that works. Will the Bullet set up as stated, work as a WiFi for outside use? The two main reasons to set this up was to provide a stronger signal to my rental house with the Nano 2 station picking up the wireless signal and routing it throughout the rental house and still have a means of WiFi access on my property. I have 10 acres in the country, no one else around so I won't need a security setup either. I can afford another Nano 2 if that might be a better equipment setup for my needs and it comes with it's own Ubiquity PoE.
BTW, Ubiquity equipment was highly recommended and now I know why; it's products and this forum and helpful members.
Thank you
SuperUser
Dave-D
Kudos: 4045
Solutions: 489

Welcome! Yes it will. Dave
No disclaimer. Nothing to sell. I need to fix that.
sotexallen

add on question

I understand the procedure to access the Bullet configuration page (192.168.1.20) and I have accessed it before, but for some reason I am not able to now. Maybe I have made some wrong set up selections. Could I go to the Bullet RESET button and reset to factory default, do you think that will work?
If I still run into issues, I am just going to buy me another Nano Station 2 and maybe it will be easier to configure. Any idea what the distance limit is for a Nano2 to Nano2 reception with unobstructed clearance between the two?
Thanks

Newbie, still learning
robby04162
Kudos: 6

You can try the discovery tool to tell you the IP of the bullet if you changed it.
http://www.ubnt.com/support/downloads/utilities
If not then yes, holding down the reset button while the bullet is powered on for a few seconds until the LEDs flash will set the bullet back to factory defaults.
sotexallen

Thanks Robby...I'll report how everything goes.
sotexallen

DaveD
I followed your instructions, also with the help of the discovery software and was finally able to access the Bullet again (had to rest the bullet IP). I configured as you instructed but I got stuck on one part. I set the Bullet as AP, set my SSID name and set Channel width to 20MHz....I did not see where to set the Channel as you mentioned. The only choices I had was Channel Width and Channel Shifting.

Use the Bullet as a simple access point.
Set it to AP mode, select an SSID and
a channel; be sure to set the channel
width to 20MHz. Plug the radio's PoE
supply 'LAN' port into your network.

I was able to see the Bullet on my Ipad but it was not able to connect to the internet. I checked using my laptop, saw the Bullet but again it said not able to connect. Do you have any other suggestions of settings? I haven't set my Nano station up yet. I figured if I can access the bullet from my Ipad I should be able to configure the nano up easy.

Thanks
Brighter shade of Green Newbie
SuperUser
WHT

Program it from the LAN. side, not wirelessly from iPad
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"

sotexallen

Thanks WHT...I am configuring from the LAN side. I have four computers running. Desk top hardwired to internet router to write forum, des:icon_sad:ktop accessing configuration of bullet, laptop to pick up wireless signal from bullet and to test network and Ipad to help pick up signal and test network also. Both laptop and Ipad see the bullet but is not transmitting the internet signal...thats my problem.
Established Member
TechnoKiwi
Kudos: 115
Solutions: 4

Program it from the LAN. side, not wirelessly from iPad

Maybe im not an expert here but go to the tab to the top left in the firmware (5.5) and turn off airmax, then try to connect with the wifi devices. maitechnowiki.wordpress.com/simple-router/
Look at our TechnoWiki for more helpful advice if wanted.
Sorry, you have wasted alot of time... It should be all downhill from now!
:icon_wink:
INTERNATIONAL Wi-Fi Hotspot Provider www.maiwifi.com
Using only the best firmware ~ airOS with our hotspot tab
DOWNLOAD FREE Firmware & install on any airMAX radio
Established Member
TechnoKiwi

What I want: To transmit wireless internet transmission, (WiFi I guess) to my rental house which is approx. 300' away. I would also like this wireless transmission to be a WiFi signal for cell phones and i-pads alike as I am outdoors.
The delema, I configured the Bullet like manuals have said but I am either not configuring correctly or just plain doing something wrong. At this point I just want my Bullet to transmit wireless signal.
I have downloaded the Quick Start Manual, the airOS user manual (very in depth) and the M series beginners guide which will work great for my Nano Station if I can get that far. I am stumped and request greater knowledge and wisdom than mine.
Chris

By the way, you have the right gears for the setup you want to achieve.
You clearly say you want an outdoor/indoor coverage and this will provide that. I know what you mean with the Delema, alot to read up on this very simple setup. Ubiquiti have great gears but it can be quite confusing for some to setup.
ON THAT I have standard configuration files that are easy to install that get the radios working instantly to your needs, only needing to change SSID, Security, Channel etc if wanted/needed. :icon_eek:
You want to next set up the Nano as a station and connect it wirelessly to the Bullet AP maitechnowiki.wordpress.com/station/
Good Luck, sounds like you have a near perfect environment for a great setup!!
Established Member
TechnoKiwi

Can I use your setup as an example on the TechnoWiki to help others with similar setups?

:icon_cool: :ubnt_banana:
sotexallen

Techno

BRILLIANT (in the voice of Monte Python) That little tip worked. I just unchecked the Enable box at the AirMax setting, saved changes and now I have WiFi. I'm going to configure the Nano Station now. I'll report back and share my results at once. And yes, you may use my radio config....
sotexallen

OK..full night of learning. I hooked my NanoStation2 up and trying to configure per your setup but I have different config screen than your example. I am now trying to upgrade to Firmware 5.5...but next small glitch. The download file at Ubiquity downloads as a VLC media file ??? how did that happen? Of course there is nothing to upload to the Nano station...not off a VLC media file. I suppose my computer didn't recognize the file and assign it as a media file. Any suggestions what type of file the firmware is so I can open it using that format?
SuperUser
WHT

You should be downloading a .BIN file. Save it, don't try to open it. Upload it to the radio.

Established Member
TechnoKiwi

OK..full night of learning. I hooked my NanoStation2 up and trying to configure per your setup but I have different config screen than your example. I am now trying to upgrade to Firmware 5.5...but next small glitch. The download file at Ubiquity downloads as a VLC media file ??? how did that happen? Of course there is nothing to upload to the Nano station...not off a VLC media file. I suppose my computer didn't recognize the file and assign it as a media file. Any suggestions what type of file the firmware is so I can open it using that format?

www.ubnt.com/download#NanoStation:M2
You probably downloaded it fine, but like you said your PC didn't know what it was and VLC is a multible file video program, must of thought it was a video file.
Should be the same file though, ignore the VLC.. Upload
Go to System Tab on firmware and find the firmware upgrade and upload
Otherwise the version you have now would be fine, steps to get it working
Set Wireless Mode to Station
Channel width to 20MHz
Click on SELECT (to the right of SSID)
Click SCAN and select wireless signal you want to connect to
Click on LOCK TO AP
Enter Wireless Security if required (password of the wireless signal you want to connect to - IF YOU SET ONE?)
*On the Nanostation (Station) You only needed a NanoLoco for this distance, so one more thing would be to turn down the power until you have nothing greater than -50 (-40 is greater/stronger). If you run them too hot (too strong signal) you can damage the radio.
Will help you though that too if needed.
Good Luck! :icon_mrgreen:
SuperUser
WHT

Did you download XM-v5.5.build12536.bin ?