ulink
Kudos: 29
Solutions: 1

Character traits of a good WISP tech

I currently have a couple good techs that I pull in when I need to. One is good on the networking while the other is young and eager to learn with time to commit.
For WISPs that have full/part time paid staff or use 1099 help, what character traits have made successful techs for growing and maintaining your network? Any horror stories are appreciated and enjoyable too.
Finally, what pay range do you find is acceptable to your help? One I give $10/hr the other $15/hr
twitter @wifi_guy
Simon_Powercode
Kudos: 75

Re: Character traits of a good WISP tech

I currently have a couple good techs that I pull in when I need to. One is good on the networking while the other is young and eager to learn with time to commit.
For WISPs that have full/part time paid staff or use 1099 help, what character traits have made successful techs for growing and maintaining your network? Any horror stories are appreciated and enjoyable too.
Finally, what pay range do you find is acceptable to your help? One I give $10/hr the other $15/hr

Desire to learn and passion for what they do. That's what you want in anybody.

Someone who is just there to make a check is going to be disappointing whether they have 20 years of experience or 20 hours.

If you can find someone who sets up networks at home for fun, grab 'em and keep 'em.
SuperUser
WHT
Kudos: 5684
Solutions: 125

$15 an hour was good for a tech ten years ago that never had to call you for troubleshooting help (other than settings that only you or the office would know for a particular job). The only time you talked was to give out and close service tickets.

Today a good tech that can work independently and think for himself is worth $20 per hour.

Installers and installer helpers could get $15 and $12 an hour.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
SuperUser
Josh_SPITwSPOTS
Kudos: 5506
Solutions: 134

$15 an hour was good for a tech ten years ago that never had to call you for troubleshooting help (other than settings that only you or the office would know for a particular job). The only time you talked was to give out and close service tickets.

Today a good tech that can work independently and think for himself is worth $20 per hour.

Installers and installer helpers could get $15 and $12 an hour.

Agreed. This isn't rocket science, but dealing with customers and doing installs safely time after time is more difficult than a lot of other jobs... especially if you like hiring people that want to move up in the company. (High tier helpedesk, NOC, etc)
Josh Reynolds :: Chief Information Officer :: www.spitwspots.com
Ubiquiti Carrier Wireless Admin, Trainer
SuperUser
rockhead
Kudos: 2485
Solutions: 20

what character traits have made successful techs for growing and maintaining your network? Any horror stories are appreciated and enjoyable too.

Welllll ... my buddy, who I owed a large favour to, had his grandson staying with him, I figured I could use a little extra help so said I'd put him to work ... lets just say that rocking and failing to make eye contact were the first warning signs, LOL, good thing I was able to finish with my 'extra need' after a couple of weeks because when a ground wire that I had asked to have buried shallowly re-appeared every time its path crossed over a stick I nearly lost my mind. We're not talking log, we're not talking root, we're talking about sticks ! Step on it vigorously and its broken, hit it with the pick its shattered, pick it up and throw it cuz its just a stick ? Nope ground wire trenches to the stick, loops over and then trenches to the next one ... repeat, LOL, OMG !
He Who Walks Behind the Rows
SuperUser
Bean_Planter
Kudos: 2360
Solutions: 174
Contributions: 10

$10 / $12 per hour = semi-skilled 2nd crew member / helper
$15 / $20 per hour = skilled, independent worker (and leader of a 2nd crew member), depending on experience and displayed skill set
It's all about:
1. Providing the customer with a superior experience
2. Doing the job right, the first time
3. Open, direct and honest bidirectional communication with me (with the customer out of listening range)
Cheers,
Gene
PS...It's ok for a WISP tech to make a mistake, as long as they learn from it. I may even let it go a second time the same mistake is made (however, I provide them with "career development" insights). The third time...not so fun for anyone.
NEW FORUM MEMBERS:
Seek knowledge. Press the [Knowledge Base] link at the top.
SuperUser
Josh_SPITwSPOTS
Kudos: 5506
Solutions: 134

$10 / $12 per hour = semi-skilled 2nd crew member / helper
$15 / $20 per hour = skilled, independent worker (and leader of a 2nd crew member), depending on experience and displayed skill set

It's all about:
1. Providing the customer with a superior experience
2. Doing the job right, the first time
3. Open, direct and honest bidirectional communication with me (with the customer out of listening range)

Cheers,
Gene

PS...It's ok for a WISP tech to make a mistake, as long as they learn from it. I may even let it go a second time the same mistake is made (however, I provide them with "career development" insights). The third time...not so fun for anyone.

People make mistakes all of the time. It's making the SAME mistake 3 times that can cause a problem :manwink:
Josh Reynolds :: Chief Information Officer :: www.spitwspots.com
Ubiquiti Carrier Wireless Admin, Trainer
SuperUser
WHT

Two points.....

First -
I was working on a phone system in a 15 story deep gravel quarry and there was a single 100 foot "mountain" near the middle. I asked a manager why and he said, "I don't know, but I can find out and tell you." What four important customer interactions occurred?

He acknowledged my question. He explained he didn't know, but would find out. He assured me he would get back to me. I was impressed.

Second -
I was installing a phone system with two of my techs. The owner complained to me that he asked them a question and they just stared back at him. What failed here?

They didn't acknowledge his concern. They didn't offer a solution that preferable would have been *they* would ask me (as opposed to telling the customer to ask me himself).

The point here is customer skills. I would rather have a dumb as a brick installer that consistently followed best practices, than a tech that left a customer with a poor impression.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"

SuperUser
WHT

About 20 years ago, I was interviewing for a contract job. Guy asked if I ever worked on his phone system product line. I said no, but all phone systems are basically the same. He paused, and said that's true. The point is...if you know the technology and have good troubleshooting skills, you can tackle anything. Is there really that much difference between a Canopy and Engenius?

Emerging Member
colishay
Kudos: 11

I have been hiring green. Really green. Most of my guys started out in a handful of other professions. I have a former auto mechanic, a maintenance tech from an apartment complex, and a couple of pc repair guys working for me. Only one of the guys I hired was from a networking background.

I looked at it like this:

Troubleshooting is troubleshooting.
Personality cannot be taught.

As long as the applicants had a desire to learn, could hold a sincere conversation, and loved to troubleshoot... I found a place for them.

I started my helpers at $18/hour but also informed them I expect them to be able to work on their own after they were trained.

So far, I have only had to let one guy go. Trust is important. I hate micromanaging, so I give them all enough rope to hang themselves with.

So far, so good. I rarely feel disappointed in their work. As a matter of fact, they all teach me quite a lot.

Then again, I believe in antidisestablishmentarianism, so really I couldn't run my business any other way.:icon_mrgreen:
"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life" - Muhammad Ali
IslandWifiBill
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 1

Desire to learn and passion for what they do. That's what you want in anybody.

Someone who is just there to make a check is going to be disappointing whether they have 20 years of experience or 20 hours.

If you can find someone who sets up networks at home for fun, grab 'em and keep 'em.

I'd have to go along with this. If you're speaking of "character traits", they're the same for any business.
pacmanfan
Kudos: 30

Then again, I believe in antidisestablishmentarianism, so really I couldn't run my business any other way.:icon_mrgreen:

First time I have ever heard this word used to convey its meaning. Bravo!
phonedude
Kudos: 39

Suck less than the local competition. That's a great company slogan

"We suck less than the phone company"