falieson

UBNT vs Meraki ?

Alright, I have done a ton of research and come a long way in my understanding of how WISP products come together and what I need to buy and how to set it up. My 1-year plan has me buying at least a dozen ubnt items and my boss comes home from a week business trip and says "what about meraki?"

I look over their site, and instead of building everything piece by piece from the ground-up it seems like it's an all-in-one solution, all I do is set it up and go. It seems so much easier than the headache I was already getting cramming down all the ubnt/mikrotik knowledge I could over the past week.

I've come to really appreciate the input from this community and have invested quite a bit of time in learning about ubnt products, what is bad about Meraki so I can convince myself to go with ubnt?

An outdoor AP from meraki is $1500 including antennas but its range is significantly less than ubnt and there is a yearly cost per AP. But the tech that goes into their APs and the software that backs up the mesh... it almost sounds worth it. How much is my time worth? I could spend weeks setting up ubnt products (AFTER waiting 10 weeks with the current supply chain issues) or I could get a meraki product by the end of the week and be signing up clients by next week!

I want to stay with ubnt, I do - please shoot meraki down. Tell me your horror stories.
Established Member
sakita
Kudos: 163

Re: UBNT vs Meraki ?

Last Thursday I set up AirControl on one of our servers. Literally 5 minute download, 5 minute install, and then within a couple of hours I had 88 devices managed by it (including mapping them and starting data collection). Scary easy - and amazingly powerful software. Don't know about Meraki but UBNT has been solid and AirControl makes management easy (and even fun).
Today is an average day: Worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow.
SuperUser
Dave-D
Kudos: 3772
Solutions: 427

After that last long thread, I'm a
bit surprised to find you here.

Your application is not a 'mesh' type
at all; I don't see the product fit. I
don't know why you'd want to back
up a 'mesh' configuration.

And that hands-on path analysis needs
to be done in any case; there's no way
to simply throw up equipment.

Are you sure the Ubuiquiti products you
want aren't available somewhere?

Personally, I would never pay a
subscription service, as you describe.

But you do need to select some kind
of client control software on a router;
there is some freeware that installers
here have recommended. Dave
No disclaimer. Nothing to sell. I need to fix that.
Established Member
dayas
Kudos: 256
Solutions: 1

Last Thursday I set up AirControl on one of our servers. Literally 5 minute download, 5 minute install, and then within a couple of hours I had 88 devices managed by it (including mapping them and starting data collection). Scary easy - and amazingly powerful software. Don't know about Meraki but UBNT has been solid and AirControl makes management easy (and even fun).

Agreed, Aircontrol is awesome Thomas is doing a great job on it And it will only get better.
Dallas Gray
CCNP, CCNA, CCDA, CWTS, UACA, NET+, A+, CXFF
Established Member
Bbobb
Kudos: 73

Generally most of us won't bad mouth a product but may comment on some comparisons..

If you want to find out about Meraki get into some discussion groups on Meraki.... The climate will speak for itself....

There are also a lot of vendors out there that may not be making their sales figures lately and their gear is readily available as a result. It may not be all due to price but it likely has a lot to do with bang for the buck....

OTOH people that know at least enough to be dangerous around here are kind of bent to some extent over the supply chain issues but most seem to be able to work with that and carry on.... This isn't the first occurance of that on the planet when something starts to get traction and maybe, given the recent economic situation, may not be able or keen to dive in and get the orders down (or are under running at least...)

In any event you have to get yourself organized to feel comfortable with anything you present to your leader and YMMV as to the reality of information unless you can get to arms length people who use the product and are successfull with it....

Bob
SuperUser
WHT
Kudos: 5604
Solutions: 120

Meraki and UNBT WISP deployments are pretty much different. It's not a simple should I buy a Ford or Chevy, more like should I buy a compact two-door or one-ton pickup.

Meraki is all right for short under a few hundred feet meshed spots and low speed requirements, where a WISP will often have several miles of coverage.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
Established Member
Ant
Kudos: 385
Solutions: 24

If you really are comparing apples to apples, compare the Unifi Ubnt products against Meraki. Your boss will appreciate with Ubnt there is no yearly fee to run the Unifi controller.
"All things are possible but not everything is probable."
Veteran Member
Sirhc
Kudos: 2205
Solutions: 31

WOW, all the big boys have chimed in already, even our resident sage! I have to agree with everything they said!
Ubiquiti is a solid gear that seems to be the way the industry as a whole is heading, and I for one love the gear!
Mikrotic is one possible router solution but not your only option, depends on your network and what you want to do with it.
RF Armor Shield Kits for Ubiquiti M gear
www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!
SuperUser
WHT

I don't recall if you had made it to the meeting by the time one of the guys was showing off the UniFi (it was called Enterprise before the roll-out). I specifically picked up the slave unit in my left hand that was connected to the master and asked...could I replace this cable with a 5.8 backhaul?

Yes.

So I'm having visions of city wide slave units like a Meraki spread.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"

Established Member
Bbobb
Kudos: 73

My heavens! What are you thinking! Deliver decent bandwidth to the whole area?

Heck of a plan! Duh..... I hadn't twigged on that.... Mind you our entire area has maybe 4-5 locations where a hotspot or drive through access makes any possible sense...

Bob
Tommy Leep

Hi Florian,
I work at Meraki, and I'd like to help you gather more information to make your evaluation.
We've deployed 17,000 networks, including many large area deployments. You're right that our APs are easy to deploy and manage. I'd be happy to connect you with Meraki customers who have deployments like yours to answer more specific questions about the Meraki experience. You might also consider the testimonials we have online: http://meraki.com/customers/
Reach me at tommy@meraki.com, I'd love to help.
Tommy
jclay68
Kudos: 8

I have been testing ubnt and meraki together....as in connected together! I didnt need the meraki enterprise cloud contoller. The Free Pro version works just fine. You can build a $250 dual radio, mesh, long range, multi ssid,captive portal, cloud contolled AP by connecting a nanostation M5 and the meraki OD2. The meraki will even power from the secondary nanostation ethernet port. Add another OD2 close by if you need to mesh without a nanostation.

Manage the ubnt with aircontrol and the merakis with the free cloud controller.

Im hoping to lightup a small downtown area soon with this setup.
New Visitor
jwhitford

I would love to get some updates on your meraki ubnt solution. I want to use a cloud vs a complicated router to manage my clients.

SuperUser
Josh_SPITwSPOTS
Kudos: 5345
Solutions: 130

Meraki has some awesome features that are very nice for certain customers... retail IT loves Meraki cloud based switches and APs for example.

That said, I find it awesome that Meraki feels so threatened by Ubiquiti at this point that they are trolling Ubiquiti's forum to pick up customers.

@rconaway @UBNT-Matt @UBNT-Ben 

Josh Reynolds :: Chief Information Officer :: www.spitwspots.com
Ubiquiti Carrier Wireless Admin, Trainer
SuperUser
WHT

I see nothing wrong with Meraki discussing their products in the UBNT forum. As Josh said, Meriki does have nice features that may appeal, and even be required for some niche projects - in such scenarios UBNT won't be coming to the table. And that's all right...you use the best tool for the job. If I had a project that needed to work in a very marginal SNR environment, sure...I'd go with Canopy.

But both of those cases are few and far between, leaving UBNT to be the best product for all else.

rconaway
Kudos: 308

I wish I had time to respond to this.  Give me a couple days and I'll jump in this weekend.

Rory

Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Matt
Kudos: 2379
Solutions: 61
Contributions: 39

That post was 3 years ago... but nonetheless we can all be friends :manhappy:

:cheers2: