kosztyua
Kudos: 1

help with my thesis

Hi,
For almost an year now I have been on this forum and I know that many of the people here are helpful and very much knowledgeable. Now I ask for this, to help me write my BA thesis which deals with WISPs from the business strategy point of view. For anyone helping I will include you in the thanks part and send the finished product :manhappy:

Please consider the following questions:
1. What do you think the determining (helping/hindering) conditions for success or failure are for a WISP in your country? Give country as well please. This will go into a PESTEL analysis so if you are into this, you could give me categories as well.
2. How do you see the future of WISPs when considering a fast development in cellular and satellite technology as well?
3. What are the threats a startup WISP company must consider? Goes into a SWOT/TOWS analysis.
4. Do you know anything specific about the Romanian WISP business? In the end of the thesis I will focus on possibly introducing a new company in Romania.
5. Any other ideas that might help :manhappy:

Thank you,
Andras
SuperUser
WHT
Kudos: 5531
Solutions: 116

Re: help with my thesis

Not much room for originality there.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
SuperUser
Bean_Planter
Kudos: 2263
Solutions: 164
Contributions: 10

#1 in any country: Develop a formal business plan with financial pro forma. Without it, none of the other issues you are exploring will matter.
Best wishes,
Gene
NEW FORUM MEMBERS:
Seek knowledge. Press the [Knowledge Base] link at the top.
Established Member
raytaylor
Kudos: 356
Solutions: 8

1. What do you think the determining (helping/hindering) conditions for success or failure are for a WISP in your country? Give country as well please. This will go into a PESTEL analysis so if you are into this, you could give me categories as well.
2. How do you see the future of WISPs when considering a fast development in cellular and satellite technology as well?
3. What are the threats a startup WISP company must consider? Goes into a SWOT/TOWS analysis.
4. Do you know anything specific about the Romanian WISP business? In the end of the thesis I will focus on possibly introducing a new company in Romania.
5. Any other ideas that might help :manhappy:

Thank you,
Andras

1) In New Zealand, the government recently tendered for the Rural Broadband Initiative where the 10% of our population that were beyond DSL coverage would get at least 5mbit download speed. This was won by a Vodafone and Telecom consortium. They plan to have Telecom roll out more rural DSL roadside cabinets, and Vodafone to put up more cellphone towers which were fed by telecom fibre to offer a fixed wireless solution using cellular technology.

Vodafone announced the fixed wireless portion pricing: The price for installation is $400 and $80 a month for 10gb of data.

All fixed wireless providers in NZ are much cheaper. Taylor Communications is a free install and $49 for 6gb, $62 for 10gb, $82 for 20gb and TVNZ ondemand unmetered (our equivalant of hulu or BBC Iplayer)

Our only other competition is a single satelite provider running via ipstar and they are $60 for 1gb of data and $80 for 2gb of data - and going up from there.

So the situation with my company is
- we are working towards 5mbit speeds as more people join the network and our bandwidth buying power increases.
- we are already undercutting the government funded build out on a per gigabyte basis
- we are not a big international company with our support desk in egypt

2) WISP's will always succeed over cellular technology in rural and some semi-urban areas because of lower per-gigabyte data costs and better customer service.

3) Threats
- Budget excesses, higher than expected build out costs
- Lower than expected take-up by customers
- Competition, and undercutting
- Local incumbant epanding fibre or dsl coverage
- Witches and bad curses

4)
Taylor Communications
A powercode billing system user
Established Member
rhauf
Kudos: 253
Solutions: 6

Gee ray, sounds like one of your main threats there (not unlike here in the usa and many other places) is big government, doing its best to kill small business.
doesn't it piss you off that your taxes get sent to big corps so they can better stomp you out of business? it drives me crazy thats for sure.

i would have to say some of the biggest threats to a WISP (not unlike any other small business) is big government and politics. everything from funding the bigger competition, to the fact that most of the radio spectrum (tv white space etc) is given to bigger corp's and stuff who lobby for it or whatever they do. (all i know is it isn't being made available for WISPS, the ones who are actually getting the job done and delivering good bandwidth to those who need it at reasonable prices!)
ok my rant is over.
SuperUser
ptt
Kudos: 895
Solutions: 158

3) Threats
- Budget excesses, higher than expected build out costs
- Lower than expected take-up by customers
- Competition, and undercutting
- Local incumbant epanding fibre or dsl coverage
- Witches and bad curses

Don't forget Gremlins :icon_mrgreen:

forum.ubnt.com/showpost.php?p=287959&postcount=11
Muestra tu agradecimiento, a quienes te ayudaron, con un

Si el post de un compañero te ayudó a resolver el problema, márcalo/acéptalo como solución.
kosztyua

Thank you guys for the contribution ^^
Just finished writing up the literature review and theoretical framework, moving to practical approach.
SuperUser
WHT

So you accomplished in 48 hours what takes years for professionals to learn and create.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"

SuperUser
Josh_SPITwSPOTS
Kudos: 5173
Solutions: 124

So you accomplished in 48 hours what takes years for professionals to learn and create.

The joys of college! :manhappy:

FYI - If we didn't build and explore upon the works of others, we would still be living in caves with maybe a few small pockets of us having the knowledge of fire.

FIRE

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFIIIIRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEE
Josh Reynolds :: Chief Information Officer :: www.spitwspots.com
Ubiquiti Carrier Wireless Admin, Trainer
kosztyua

Haha, WHT I'm doing this for BA in international business relations, so 1, really not that deep work 2, wireless is the topic but the focus is on the marketing environment
SuperUser
WHT

Ironically, many WISPs fail because engineers were not asked to contribute to the marketing plan.

kosztyua

I thought it was the opposite, no real business analysis is made :manhappy:
thewisperer
Kudos: 27

depends

Ironically, many WISPs fail because engineers were not asked to contribute to the marketing plan.

that entirely depends on the engineer: i have know of one who should stay at his desk
SuperUser
WHT

I thought it was the opposite, no real business analysis is made :manhappy:
That's part of it. It takes engineers to point out the fallacy of under budgeting to the accountants and fallacy of aspirational advertising to marketing.

that entirely depends on the engineer: i have know of one who should stay at his desk
DeVry grads don't count as engineers. :manhappy:

Established Member
raytaylor

Gee ray, sounds like one of your main threats there (not unlike here in the usa and many other places) is big government, doing its best to kill small business.

Part of the government's rural project was to get about 80 rural schools connected at speeds of 5mbit - about half those were at the end of their copper loops for DSL coverage and only getting about 2mbits.

For that particular project, a small WISP did happen to win for about 4 of the most remote schools.
A large national WISP that only does business microwave linking - not really for consumers got about 10 schools.
The Wisp and semi-wisp have said they will provide coverage to nearby homes on a consumer level.
The majority of the rest went to Telecom (national incumbant) running fibre - they ran their inter-city fibre on rural roads that had schools over the last 5 years rather than using the main inter-city roads and state highways as a fibre route. This way they were able to just blow some more fibre from the nearest city down the existing ducting to supply the school. Quite smart and forward thinking really.

But the big national rural consumer portion as i said went to the two major telco's. I specifically did not encourage any WISP's from bidding on the project zones because i knew the vodafone pricing would be more expensive and we would already be undercutting them on price. So it just re-enforces how expensive cellular operators are to the consumers way of thinking.

And makes people love me more.

Not bidding turned out to have been one of my smartest business decisions ever i think.
Taylor Communications
SuperUser
WHT

And makes people love me more.
Use that on your gay.com profile. :manhappy:

Established Member
raytaylor

Use that on your gay.com profile. :manhappy:

Special Talent: I am able to make people love me by means of manipulating peoples perceptions of government, rural broadband and cellular carriers.
Taylor Communications
kosztyua

Mostly done, will report in with finished product and result ^^