frenziedengi
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Configure EdgeRouter lite and toughswitch for PoE WAN?

I found a similar post here (http://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Configure-EdgeRouter-lite-and-toughswitch-with-VLANs), and it seems like the answer is yes, but I want to confirm I am understanding what is said.

Problem: I would like to setup an EdgeMAX router (lite) + ToughSwitch Pro (8 port) for my network. I would like to make use of Toughswitch PoE ports for both WAN and LAN functionality. Here is my general layout:

• WAN Requires PoE (ubnt AirMAX radio)
  • Have 5 devices on LAN (all on same subnet that require PoE), a combination of sensors and cameras.

Instead of buying EdgeMAX PoE + ToughSwitch (since there are not enough PoE ports on EdgeMAX alone), I am thinking of buying EdgeMAX lite (no PoE) and ToughSwitch PRO to provide all necessary PoE connections and save some money.

Question: Is it possible to have one port on the ToughSwitch segregated to the AirMAX radio (WAN), and have the other ports for internal LAN? Would this require 2 physical connections between EdgeMAX and ToughSwitch (WAN + LAN) or one?

Is there any recommended reading on the subject?

Appreciated.

Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Arthur
Kudos: 145
Solutions: 127

Re: Configure EdgeRouter lite and toughswitch for PoE WAN?

frenziedengi wrote:

Question: Is it possible to have one port on the ToughSwitch segregated to the AirMAX radio (WAN), and have the other ports for internal LAN? Would this require 2 physical connections between EdgeMAX and ToughSwitch (WAN + LAN) or one?

Is there any recommended reading on the subject?

Appreciated.

Yes, and two connections between ERL and TS pro. Basically, 1) ERL WAN port and AirMax under same untagged VLAN; 2) ERL LAN port and other devices under another untagged VLAN. 

Emerging Member
jaf
Kudos: 3

Arthur,

I am not clear on this. Maybe a diagram would be more clearer.

Thanking you in advance.

jaf
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Arthur

[ Edited ]

ERL/eth0 -- port1(vlan2 untag)/ToughSwitch/port2(vlan2 untag) -- AirMAX

ERL/eth1 -- port3(vlan3 untag)/ToughSwitch/port4(vlan3 untag) -- LAN device1

edit:                                      ToughSwitch/port5(vlan3 untag) -- LAN device2

Emerging Member
jaf
Kudos: 3

Arthur,

Is this diagram correct?
ERL+TS Diagram.jpg

jaf
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Arthur

Yes, if SIP devices and the servers are in the same subnet/VLAN; Or you can set TS port3 as trunk port, then TS port4 vlan3/untag, TS port5 vlan4/untag, and ERL eth1 with vif 3 for the servers and vif 4 for the SIP devices.