msb
Kudos: 5

Edge Router POE - cannot enable POE from GUI

New edge router POE; very happy so far.  I cannot enable POE from the GUI.  If I attempt to do so, I get "Error: carrier detected while trying to enable 24v" and it won't work.  If I manually enable it via CLI, it works just fine.  THEN, I can disable it through the GUI, and when attempting to re-enable via GUI, it doesn't work (same error).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-ancheng
Kudos: 1073
Solutions: 521
Contributions: 2

Re: Edge Router POE - cannot enable POE from GUI

That message means the link on that port is already up, so as a safety measure it doesn't allow enabling PoE output. Do you already have a link on the port which you're trying to enable PoE? What device is connected to the port?

msb

thanks for quick response.

it actually won't let me enable from GUI whether there is something plugged in or not. 

the device in question was a UniFi AP for the record

to clarify -- are you saying you can't use the GUI to cycle power? that seems to be the implication of your comment.

Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-ancheng

msb wrote:

it actually won't let me enable from GUI whether there is something plugged in or not. 

the device in question was a UniFi AP for the record

to clarify -- are you saying you can't use the GUI to cycle power? that seems to be the implication of your comment. 

As mentioned it disallows enabling PoE output if the link is up. When output is turned off, the link will go down (since the device is no longer powered), so it will allow turning on the output again, so cycle power can be done (there is also an enhancement request to add a single button for this OFF-ON operation to make it more convenient, which is also necessary in some cases, e.g., when accessing the GUI from the device being power-cycled).

If the UAP is only plugged in but not powered, the link should be down so enabing PoE output should be allowed. If you're getting that error message in such a case then it could be a bug. When this happens, is either or both of the LEDs on that port on?

msb

you have confirmed my understanding of how it SHOULD work.  there is definitely something buggy going on...

if the ports are empty, I can't enable POE on them from the GUI. if the port has POE turned off, and is connected to a POE AP, (and thus the end device isn't powered) I can't turn it on from the GUI.

Basically it gives that "carrier detected" error from the GUI no matter what...  works fine from CLI

Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-ancheng

Yes, if the link is down but it doesn't allow enabling PoE output, that sounds like a bug, so we need to figure out where exactly it "thinks" the link is up and therefore produces that error message. When this happens with an empty port (nothing plugged in), could you check the following:

• The two LEDs on the port itself.
  • The link status in the Web UI (both the graphics on top and the Interface table on the Dashboard).
  • The output of "show interfaces" in the CLI.
  • The output of "ip addr" in the CLI.
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-stig
Kudos: 1037
Solutions: 275
Contributions: 14

Hmm, I just tried to reproduce this with a UniFi AP and it worked fine for me from the GUI.

ajbtv2
Kudos: 126
Solutions: 16
Contributions: 1

I don't see where the OP states the browser he is using.  I have run into this type of issue, along with other obscur issues when using an IE browser.

msb

Funny... in this post: http://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Edge-Router-POE-no-CLI-via-GUI/td-p/569011

I mentioned that I was using IE10... different issue, which was more obviously browser related...

But seems strange that this issue would be browser related...  maybe...

msb

empty port - no "left" lights on, GUI will not allow me to enable

POE device plugged into port (but obviously not powered) - no "left" lights on, GUI will not allow me to enable  (but can from CLI)

non-POE device plugged into port - no "left" lights on, GUI will not allow me to enable (intended behavior I believe)

Basically, I have been unable to come up with a scenario where the GUI will do anything other than error out when trying to enable POE.  It will let me disable it.  Then if I try to re-enable, it will not.

Everything works fine from the CLI.

Per the other comment on this thread, I wonder if the IE10 is causing this? (seems strange to me), but I'll try to get this tested with another browser and see if it is that simple. Can't imagine why browser code would be making a "game time" decision like that though...

Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-stig
Kudos: 1037
Solutions: 275
Contributions: 14

IE is probably the browser that gets the least testing and also the one the gives the UI developers the most grief.

ajbtv2
Kudos: 126
Solutions: 16
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

i just confirmed this is an IE10 issue and NOT present in Firefox or Chrome.   My suspician is that it has something to do with IE10 not being able to report the link status or speed (as seen in the top graphic not providing data).

Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-ancheng

ajbtv2 wrote:

i just confirmed this is an IE10 issue and NOT present in Firefox or Chrome.   My suspician is that it has something to do with IE10 not being able to report the link status or speed (as seen in the top graphic not providing data).

Ah yes as mentioned before, IE 10 does not currently work with the GUI and it is on our TODO list to add support for it (and Safari 6 for example). At the moment, please try Chrome or Firefox. IE 9 works too but requires Flash.