d2b
Kudos: 17

Edge Router Training

I am curious if there will be an edge router training and certification?
fromport
Kudos: 90
Solutions: 5

Re: Edge Router Training

"it just works" (TM)
and
"it is intuitive with the GUI" (TM)
Why would you need certification ?
Only hard part is getting it installed and turned on :icon_mrgreen:
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Matt
Kudos: 2507
Solutions: 66
Contributions: 39

Yes, we will be incorporating this in the Ubiquiti Training Academy. This probably won't be launched until the product has been shipping for a little while though.

-Matt
JCarter

I noticed the most recent reply to this thread was on September 18th 2012. Is there any update on training for the EdgeRouter products? In particular the EdgeRouter Lite

"Intuitive" to some is confusing as hell for others.

I downloaded the ERL User Guide and it tells what each field will take for input, as in the type of value, but there's no context on what to base that information.

Some more explanation would be helpful.

Also, does Ubiquiti have any default configurations for users to download and use. You know, something to get them going and actually have basic internet connectivity? I noticed it was not configured to pass traffic out of the box.

I get that it s powerful and does all manner of cool ****, but if a reasonably intelligent person that's been in the IT networking business for a while can t seem to make sense of the thing, it s not going to be much use to them.

If there was an "EdgeRouter Lite Bible" or "EdgeRouter Lite for Dummies" that puts things in context and gives a relationship to actual purpose and function of the different tabs and sections of the device that would be priceless. I also noticed the terminology for many things is different. I call it this; you call it that kind of thing.

Everyone seems to build their "widget" different than everyone else. Not saying that's bad, but help take away some of the mystery. MikroTik hardware is very capable as well, but those guys brains aren't wired right. Configuring anything from them takes a PhD in WTF I was hoping this product would not be that way.

Let me also say, I'm not a complete moron, I was able to get an internet connection and working and even setup DHCP on an internal LAN segment but I know nothing of how to configure the Security aspects of the ERL. I'm guessing that I have no firewall in place and that needs fixed pronto. I also need to know how to "port forward" from the WAN side to the LAN side as I host a number of services such as websites, email, FTP, TeamSpeak, VPN and other various online gaming servers.

I currently use a Cisco Small Business Series RV082 and believe I have outgrown its capabilities. I know for a fact that the ERL is crazy fast by comparison. I live in an area with fibre to the home and have a full 100Mbps full duplex connection. I want to get every last drop of that connection and really tired of the router being the bottleneck.

I also like the fact that with the ERL I can have multiple IP addresses on the WAN side. This will make it easier for me to host even more services over the single connection.

I m sure there is an answer to every one of my questions in these forums. If I don t know what to look for it s going to be hard to find the answers. Point me to the official training manual or an instructor and I m there!

Oh, one more thing, at my work, we have the need for no less than about 15 to 20 of these. I would really like buy more and put them to use, so keep that in mind.
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-stig
Kudos: 1407
Solutions: 411
Contributions: 14

Also, does Ubiquiti have any default configurations for users to download and use. You know, something to get them going and actually have basic internet connectivity? I noticed it was not configured to pass traffic out of the box.
I put some wiki examples that may help: http://wiki.ubnt.com/SOHO_Edgemax_Example
You might also find this blog entry useful: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-howto/32014-how-to-configure-your-ubiquiti-edgerouter-l...
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-ancheng
Kudos: 1786
Solutions: 728
Contributions: 2

As mentioned, with the community's help, we are incrementally adding to our Wiki content. In addition, when the forum transition is completed, the Wiki will eventually migrate to a "Knowledge Base" that is integrated with the forum and other parts of the community platform. That will hopefully make it even easier for community members to contribute and share what they know/discover.

Also, does Ubiquiti have any default configurations for users to download and use. You know, something to get them going and actually have basic internet connectivity?

That is a good point. We have been looking into providing a "templatized" approach in the Web UI at least for the initial setup. However, since that will likely require quite a bit of UI development resources, perhaps a more feasible approach is to provide typical "canned" configurations that the user can load on the router and then further customize. We will look into this as well. Thanks for your feedback!
RichieRich
Kudos: 127
Solutions: 12

That is a good point. We have been looking into providing a "templatized" approach in the Web UI at least for the initial setup. However, since that will likely require quite a bit of UI development resources, perhaps a more feasible approach is to provide typical "canned" configurations that the user can load on the router and then further customize. We will look into this as well. Thanks for your feedback!

We did things like this when we first deployed out AirMax gear. We set up config files for different options. For Example: a Rocket M2 could have a config file as "M2 Backhaul AP", M2 Backhaul Station", "M2 Broadcast AP", and "M2 CPE" based on the possible uses. Mostly, the SSID is denoted something like ISP.towerX.APx and the IPs would be something like 192.168.X.X. This allows us to configure the gear quickly. We did set it up for our network, but it is possible to figure out a few scenarios and write basic config files for it.
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-ancheng
Kudos: 1786
Solutions: 728
Contributions: 2

We did things like this when we first deployed out AirMax gear. We set up config files for different options. For Example: a Rocket M2 could have a config file as "M2 Backhaul AP", M2 Backhaul Station", "M2 Broadcast AP", and "M2 CPE" based on the possible uses. Mostly, the SSID is denoted something like ISP.towerX.APx and the IPs would be something like 192.168.X.X. This allows us to configure the gear quickly. We did set it up for our network, but it is possible to figure out a few scenarios and write basic config files for it.

Yes, originally we have been looking at doing this in the UI, i.e., providing wizards/templates etc. for common usage scenarios. However, given the resource availability issue, the next best thing might just be to provide basic config files for common usage scenarios, e.g., DHCP client for WAN and DHCP server for LAN, etc. etc. We should definitely look into this. Thanks!