Synomenon
Kudos: 2

EdgeRouter POE Configuration.

[ Edited ]

I'm looking hard at getting an EdgeRouter POE.

I don't have experience configuring Ubiquiti rotuers.  I saw the sticky thread with the basic SOHO/home config..

I've attached an image of how my network is connected.
The D-Link router (configured as an AP w/ 4-port switch), will occasionally have other PCs, game consoles, etc., plugged into it.

Will the basic SOHO/home config. work for my network?

Does everything still have to be configured via command line or is there a basic GUI in place now to configure everything?

Network.png
Synomenon

Re: EdgeRouter POE Configuration.

Bump...

Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Arthur
Kudos: 145
Solutions: 127

Which SOHO config you refer to? for edgerouter poe or lite?

Synomenon

I guess for the EdgeRouter POE since (as I mentioned in my post above) that's what I have on the way.
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Arthur
Kudos: 145
Solutions: 127

Per http://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Basic-SOHO-Home-Config/m-p/548520#M13640, your modem connects to eth1, netgear connects to eth0, and the two UniFi APs connect to switch0... So if the two APs can work in the same subnet, then the basic SOHO/home config for EdgeRouter POE should just work for your case.

Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-stig
Kudos: 1374
Solutions: 392
Contributions: 14

Synomenon wrote:
I guess for the EdgeRouter POE since (as I mentioned in my post above) that's what I have on the way.

You might want to start with this 5 port ER-POE example config.   Note if you're Unifi controller is on a different subnet than the AP's, you'll want to define a static host mapping for unifi on the ER-PoE.

Synomenon

Thank you both.

It will be a simple home network (large house with concrete walls). Everything will be on the same subnet.

I will try the basic SOHO/home config. then.
Synomenon

[ Edited ]

UBNT-stig wrote:

Now that people are starting to get the EdgeRouter PoE 5-port, I thought I'd modify the SOHO example config from the ER-Lite to work on the 5-port.  Since the 5 port has a hardware switch for the last 3 ports, I changed the config such that the WAN is now on eth1 and eth2, eth3 and eth4 are configured in "switch mode".

eth0 - LAN1  192.168.1.1/24

eth1 - WAN dhcp

switch0 - LAN (eth2, eth3, eth4) 192.168.2.1/24

The config has a dhcp server configure on eth0 and switch0.

See this post for step-by-step how to apply the attached config file.

This is from the thread you linked to.

So if I understand correctly, with the sample config.:

- eth0 would connect to my Netgear GS108E - 8-port gigabit switch
- eth1 would connect to my cable modem

- eth2, eth3, and eth4 are on what you're calling "switch0" and:
- eth2 would connecto to my PC
- eth3 would connect to UniFi AP Pro. #1
- eth4 would connect to UniFi AP Pro. #2

Is this all correct?  In the above configuration (in the sample config. file), would everything be on the same subnet?

Will my network, as laid out in my diagram above, work correctly if everything is on the same subnet?

Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-stig
Kudos: 1374
Solutions: 392
Contributions: 14

[ Edited ]

Synomenon wrote:

UBNT-stig wrote:

Now that people are starting to get the EdgeRouter PoE 5-port, I thought I'd modify the SOHO example config from the ER-Lite to work on the 5-port.  Since the 5 port has a hardware switch for the last 3 ports, I changed the config such that the WAN is now on eth1 and eth2, eth3 and eth4 are configured in "switch mode".

eth0 - LAN1  192.168.1.1/24

eth1 - WAN dhcp

switch0 - LAN (eth2, eth3, eth4) 192.168.2.1/24

The config has a dhcp server configure on eth0 and switch0.

See this post for step-by-step how to apply the attached config file.

This is from the thread you linked to.

So if I understand correctly, with the sample config.:

- eth0 would connect to my Netgear GS108E - 8-port gigabit switch
- eth1 would connect to my cable modem

- eth2, eth3, and eth4 are on what you're calling "switch0" and:
- eth2 would connecto to my PC
- eth3 would connect to UniFi AP Pro. #1
- eth4 would connect to UniFi AP Pro. #2

Is this all correct?  In the above configuration (in the sample config. file), would everything be on the same subnet?

Will my network, as laid out in my diagram above, work correctly if everything is on the same subnet?

With the sample config eth0 is a different subnet than eth2/eth3/eth4, but should work.  

If you really need them on the same subnet then you'd need to bridge eth0 and switch0 and put the address on the bridge instead.  Of course software bridging will loose some performance.

Synomenon

Ah ok. That's the thing... I don't know if I need everything on the same subnet. I just want ALL devices on my home network to be visible to each other / to be able to access each other.

So with the sample config., what I want will happen / will work?

shortcut3d
Kudos: 36
Solutions: 3

Some traffic in home networks will not work across subnets. In particular UPnP, AFP, WoL and broadcast traffic.
Synomenon

Ah ok.  So it's better in a home network for everything to be on the same subnet (if I want everything on the network to see each other).

bcdouglas
Kudos: 230
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

Granted, it's a fairly simple architecture, but, I have your setup with the Lite device.  I prefer to have my wired and wireless subnets seperated.

1) Easier to manage my static DHCP mappings

2) I can lock down the wireless port/subnet more completely as compated to my wired branch.  Additional firewall rules preventing access to some important wired IPs from the wireless network.

3) Seperate broadcast domains

4) I can maintain full hardware acceleration.  As mention above, using bridging of eth 0, eth 1, and/or (eth2-4), will turn off hardware acceleration.

No, none of this is really needed, but nice-to-haves for sure.

Only issue, this architecture caused my UniFi controller and UniFi Devices to be on sepearte subnets.  That required the config of a DHCP scope option (documented in on this site). Oh, one more, my wireless devices were not able to see my HP All-In-One printer because AirPrint relies on broadcasts.  Easy fix, put the printer on the wireless network...all of the wired devices have layer 3 printer config options.

DHCP Scope Option: http://wiki.ubnt.com/UniFi_FAQ#L3_.28Layer_3.29_Management

bcdouglas
Kudos: 230
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

Synomenon wrote:

I'm looking hard at getting an EdgeRouter POE.

I don't have experience configuring Ubiquiti rotuers.  I saw the sticky thread with the basic SOHO/home config..

I've attached an image of how my network is connected.
The D-Link router (configured as an AP w/ 4-port switch), will occasionally have other PCs, game consoles, etc., plugged into it.

Will the basic SOHO/home config. work for my network?

Does everything still have to be configured via command line or is there a basic GUI in place now to configure everything?

You will probably start by doing the basic config in the GUI, but you'll end up in the command line for sure.  ...it's not too bad, but I strongly suggest saving your work in steps so you can roll back to working configs if needed.

Synomenon

Ok, so going by the diagram I posted above (that's how I want this network wired), how would I configure the EdgeRouter POE so that I still have the hardware acceleration?

Still not sure about having everything on the same subnet or on separate subnets.  I guess whichever is required so that hardware acceleration still works.

I also would like WOL to work on my PCs

Is all of this possible with the way I want my network wired?

Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-ancheng
Kudos: 1726
Solutions: 701
Contributions: 2

You might find some relevant information in this previous thread.

Synomenon

That link just gives me an, "Access Denied" page.
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-ancheng
Kudos: 1726
Solutions: 701
Contributions: 2

Ah right that was on the beta forum. Try this link now.

New Visitor
eatkabab

[ Edited ]

Amazing that I feel like I was the OP.  I want the same thing and want every device to be able to see every other device across wireless and wired (avoiding software performance loss).  My setup will use slightly different hardware so I've edited the OP's diagram.

I have some experience with dd-wrt and fudging consumer trash to work how I want, but no professional class confugrable routers.  I read other things but maybe someone knows something easier than leraning to program (I barely do minor HTML).  I don't actually have the router yet but I'm assuming once I load up a config, I can still set my wireless security settings (SSID, WPA and passwords).

I'd also like a VPN (though not immidiately needed)...assuming it should be no problem for this router...would I also be able to easily set that up through the GUI after loading a config?

I HUGELY appreciate the wisdom of everyone here and any help.  Really looking forward to a solid seamless network that actually works.

New Visitor
eatkabab

[ Edited ]

WAAAAAIAIIIIIITTTTTT a sec...I just noticed that the UniFi's come with a POE adapter.  That means I can connect the Access Points to the switch and it's all on the same subnet and should work no problem right?

Additionally, I can put the POE adapter in the location of the switch and plug the Access Point in wherever else throughout the house right?

In that case, I'll just get the non-PoE EdgeRouter..

It also seems I made an error.  The wireless is set up within the AP's.  As long as I give all the AP's the same SSID and pass it should put each AP on the same wireless network and make them seamless and manageable by the browser based software right?