Visitor
ron953
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

EdgeRouter PoE SOHO config issues with Comcast

I recently purchased the five port edgerouter POE to use in my home network. I figured since I had a decent understanding of TCP/IP and already had a bunch of Ubiquiti hardware that this router would be the best choice. I don't regret the decision as I'm sure it's a great piece of hardware, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting it set up.

Right now I'm using the Techincolor TC8305C Gateway from Comcast (currently in 'Bridge mode') along with the EdgeRouter. I set everything up exactly by the book using the WAN+2LAN wizard and reconfigured all of my hardware to use the 192.168.2.x IP scheme. After I applied the wizard, I got the error message saying that it applied all of the changes, but the internet test failed.

I don't have any static IPs and have a residential Comcast 105mbps connection. The local network itself is working just fine. The devices can all ping each other with no problem, it's just that none of them can access the internet. My current configuration is this:

• eth0 > empty
  • eth1 > cable modem
  • eth2 > 10/100 ethernet switch > 1 printer + 1 laptop
  • eth3 > TOUGHSwitch PoE > 1 desktop + Roku + 2 UniFi APs
  • eth4 > desktop PC

Has anyone here had any similar issues with this before? Any help is much appreciated.

Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-stig
Kudos: 1608
Solutions: 499
Contributions: 16

Re: EdgeRouter PoE SOHO config issues with Comcast

Do you get your WAN address via dhcp?  If so is there an address getting assigned to eth1?  If not then of course Internet won't work.  See similar thread - LINK.

EdgeMAX Router Software Development
Visitor
ron953

Yes, that's exactly what's happening. Sorry that I didn't do a good job of explaining that. An IP address still isn't being assigned to eth1. I tried power cycling the modem for 20 minutes, disabling and reenabling eth1, and renewing the lease on eth1. I'm still having the same issues. 

clickwir
Kudos: 6

Hate to sound like a Comcast phone jockey, but break it down and trace it. Connect just one PC/laptop direct to the modem (nothing else) and power cycle it. See if you get that working. If not, then ignore the EdgeRouter until you do.

If you don't get an address via DHCP on a PC/laptop, then trouble shoot from there. Is the modem really in bridge mode? Did it get reset and need to be put back into bridge mode? Is the modem getting a good connection to the cable network? The modem should get an IP from the cable network, it might be a private address but it usually is still pingable. Maybe it needs to be reset and/or put back into bridge mode. Might need to take it out of bridge mode, apply/reboot and then put it back in bridge mode.

Visitor
ron953

Alright, I ran a cable from a laptop over to the ethernet port on the back of the modem. After it read "no internet access" I power cycled the modem for 30 seconds and it then it worked! When I tried do the exact same thing with the ER (plug it in to the modem, power cycle the modem for at least 30 seconds), it didn't work and I'm having the same problem. 

Visitor
ron953

What happened specifically was this: When I turned the modem back on and the upstream and downstream lights came on, the IP field next to eth1 populated with a 192.168.100.x IP. When the two phone lights came on and the modem was completely done powering one, the IP goes away. How can I fix this? Do I need to call Comcast?

Visitor
ron953

It turns out the issue I was having was that the cable modem was locked to a certain mac address I think. I used the reset button on the device to bring it back to factory specs and then called Comcast to have them switch it back into bridge mode. Apparently the modem was having an issue that the guy on the phone was able to fix. He wasn't too specific. After the modem finally turned back on in bridge mode again, it successfully assigned the ERPoE an IP address and now everything's working.

Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-stig
Kudos: 1608
Solutions: 499
Contributions: 16

Glad to hear that it's resolved!

EdgeMAX Router Software Development