alex_cambui
Kudos: 84
Solutions: 19

New Firmware release date & easy load balancing config?

Is there any forecasted release date for the next firmware for the EdgeRouter Lite, and is load-balancing/failover via web GUI still on the roadmap for the next release?

I am about to get a second link installed - if the next release will include failover/load-balancing in the Web Gui and it's coming this year, I will probably wait to install the second link. If the release is still six months away, I will go ahead and install the second link now, and try my hand at the scripting approach.

I am slightly wary of the script approach as described in the Wiki, as it's definitely out of my comfort zone in terms of technical requirements! While I can follow most things step by step, and can 'do' CLI if I need to, there are perhaps a couple of the steps that look thin on the details side, that could leave me with no internet while I go back and read around where I went wrong. Is there a 'cheats' way of doing this, like uploading a config file (as described here and changing the IP addresses of the two WAN links in question?

therealboss
Kudos: 6

Re: New Firmware release date & easy load balancing config?

I too would like to see the answer to this question.

"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware engineer with a software patch is a programmer with a screwdriver"
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-ancheng
Kudos: 2169
Solutions: 833
Contributions: 2

The load balancing/failover feature is in development but not complete yet, so most likely it will not be in the next release (1.3.0), which has gone through two alpha releases, and the first beta was just released a couple of days ago.

You're right of course that for now the scripting approach may be tricky for many users, but it seems quite a few people have tried it on the forum, so if you find any issues you should be able to find help here.

alex_cambui
Kudos: 84
Solutions: 19

Thanks for the update - I will go ahead and get the second link installed and give it a go. I have run through it all again today, and it seems to make sense, but is perhaps just more daunting than it looks.