JetJockey

Bullet M2 HP Access Point questions

I've read the Bullet M2 HP manual but am still not sure about the Access Point function. I have a Macbook Pro, an iPad and an iPhone that I intend to use with the Bullet on my sailboat. I have a few questions:

* I'd like to know whether I can set up the Bullet M2 HP as an AP and then use it to both receive WiFi signals from a ground based wireless router (e.g. from a Starbucks) and then re-transmit those signals wirelessly from the Bullet directly to my Macbook Pro , iPad and iPhone.

* If I would still need a wireless router connected to the Bullet with an Ethernet cable, what is the purpose of the AP function?

* If I would not need a router, can I set up the Bullet wirelessly from my Macbook Pro or would I need an Ethernet connection for the initial setup?

Thanks!
Established Member
TechnoKiwi
Kudos: 115
Solutions: 4

Re: Bullet M2 HP Access Point questions

No you can not use the bullet as a unverisal repeater, picking up *Starbucks or similar and retransmitting. (DDWRT firmware installed can do this though, if really preferred).

Best setup is to setup the Bullet as a Station
This will allow you to scan and connect to remote signals. This would need a wifi router onboard to transmit around the boat, plugged into the Bullet.

The purpose of AP function would be if you have a internet connection to plug the Bullet into for transmitting wirelessly.

You need a cable to setup the bullet, and from then to use it.

see here for some examples
maitechnowiki.wordpress.com/station/

Good Luck :icon_cool:
INTERNATIONAL Wi-Fi Hotspot Provider www.maiwifi.com
Using only the best firmware ~ airOS with our hotspot tab
DOWNLOAD FREE Firmware & install on any airMAX radio
Established Member
Full Power
Kudos: 75

* I'd like to know whether I can set up the Bullet M2 HP as an AP and then use it to both receive WiFi signals from a ground based wireless router (e.g. from a Starbucks) and then re-transmit those signals wirelessly from the Bullet directly to my Macbook Pro, iPad and iPhone....

Not unless the source you connect to is programmed to do this. With 802.11G routers in NewEgg for $15, it is approximately asininie to even consider rigging up one radio to do these multiple tasks.

* If I would still need a wireless router connected to the Bullet with an Ethernet cable, what is the purpose of the AP function?

There would be no AP in that sceario. Just bullets and routers.
I spent most of my money on women and beer, and the rest I just wasted.
Emerging Member
SV5FRZ
Kudos: 1

New Visitor
essorkm

connect MacBook to Bullet,

then, you can set up the MacBook Pro as its own wireless access point in MacOSX System_Preferences>Share>Internet

then your Iphone & Ipad could WiFi (or Bluetooth) connect to Internet through your MacBook Pro