Hazard
Kudos: 2

Rocket M2 Ti PtP best setup?

I am going to be using two Rocket M2 Ti's to create a point to point bridge.
Distance is 16 miles.
Antennas will be 24dBi 2ft rocket dish, both ends identical equipment.
Clear line of sight, minimal fresnel zone encroachment, one end on a mountain 2900ft higher than the low end, nothing very high in between, both ends 30ft+ above the ground on towers, some trees low and off to the sides 100 to 200 yards away from the low end, not anticipating any trouble from them.
Rural area not very saturated in the 2.4Ghz band, on the mountain end there are 2.4Ghz AP's in use pointing north and south, my lower end side is east of the mountain.
None of the AP's on the mountain will be using channels lower than 6 so I will have the lower end of the band to use, no WISP's are servicing the area my lower end is in so I should have very little noise on the lower end and the physical separation between my equipment and the existing AP's using 2.4Ghz on the mountain will be 100ft+.
I am looking for rock solid connectivity with very low jitter versus high throughput, 3Mbps to 6Mbps is more than adequate.
My question is what would be the best configuration of the Rocket M2 Ti's to produce the results I want given the equipment and environment?
Thank you in advance for your recommendations.
walrus0
Kudos: 488

Re: Rocket M2 Ti PtP best setup?

With RFarmor shields, 20 channel, WPA2-AES PSK with a good key, auto ack. Put one dish up first and run AirView. Or visit the mountain with a small temporary tripod and run AirView. You may find that due to local use of 2.4 GHz that it will be quite impossible to use a 40 MHz wide channel as there is not enough "clean" spectrum.
You may be surprised how much 2.4 GHz noise there is once you run AirView. At 16 miles you will almost certainly get speeds much faster than 6 Mbps.
Use cable with a 9th drain wire and properly ground it...
If you have a particularly unique or challenging project, professional consulting services are available in central Asia, south Asia (AF, PK, IN, BD) and the Vancouver, BC area. Please contact me for more details.
Hazard

Thank you.

The equipment has not arrived yet and I have never been into one of these radios before, I have used some other Ubiquity equipment for small applications and know there is a lot of settings that can be tuned.

Do the Rocket M2's have the WDS option and if so should that be used, I need these radios acting as a transparent bridge.
walrus0
Kudos: 488

Yes, typically AP-WDS to STA-WDS mode will result in a layer 2 bridge. There is a dropdown box in the http GUI on each radio to configure the radio as a bridge or router. The default setting is Bridge.
If you have a particularly unique or challenging project, professional consulting services are available in central Asia, south Asia (AF, PK, IN, BD) and the Vancouver, BC area. Please contact me for more details.
SuperUser
Bean_Planter
Kudos: 2406
Solutions: 174
Contributions: 10

Do the Rocket M2's have the WDS option and if so should that be used, I need these radios acting as a transparent bridge.

Hi @Hazard and welcome to the UBNT user forum! You get a press of the "Like" button as a house warming gift. :-)

Setting up your equipment as a Layer-2 bridge is easy. The instructions are found on this page: wiki.ubnt.com/Beanstalk in an abstract titled, Point to Point Direct Link (AirOS 5.5, Layer-2 Transparent Bridge) as illustrated in the graphic below.

Best wishes on your project.

Cheers,
Gene
NEW FORUM MEMBERS:
Seek knowledge. Press the [Knowledge Base] link at the top.
Basic-PtP-Direct.png
Hazard

What about the Airmax options?