cpellumb
Solutions: 1

AirMax Omni Rocket M2 problem with clients!

Hi all,
Just installed AirMax Omni 13 with rocket m2, i have +- 30 Clients connected at this base station in middle of city with laptops and some others with nanostation m2 and nanostation2.
Omni (Rocket) Setup:
Wireless Mode - AP
Network Mode - Bridge
Version Firmware - 5.3.2 just downgrade from the last firmware.
Channel width - 20mhz
Noise floor - -87
Air Max - Disabled
Rocket is connected with RB 433AH.
The problem is that clients cant get the internet for the full time... some time works and some time not.

Any idea...
Thanks
cpellumb
Veteran Member
Bean_Planter
Kudos: 2073
Solutions: 145
Contributions: 10

Re: AirMax Omni Rocket M2 problem with clients!

The problem is that clients cant get the internet for the full time... some time works and some time not.
Ping is OK with omni.
Any idea...
Thanks

Please post screen shot of AirView, "Main" tab and signal levels of the clients that are connecting.
NEW FORUM MEMBERS:
Setup Help: Select the [Knowledge Base] link above. Search on "setup" or "configure".
Veteran Member
mhoppes
Kudos: 3413
Solutions: 49

My guess would be you have weak clients pulling the AP down. But please do as Bean requested and we can help you more.
Sent via alt.hardware.wireless.ubnt reflector

On-Location airMax Training for Groups of 4 or more.
Send PM for more information.
sbrown
Kudos: 15

Just for kicks.... do you happen to have a BulletM2 with an omni that you can swap the Rocket + AirMax Omni with?

We did that and performance went way up....
innernet
Kudos: 1

Hi all,

Just installed AirMax Omni 13 with rocket m2, i have +- 30 Clients connected at this base station in middle of city with laptops and some others with nanostation m2 and nanostation2.
Omni (Rocket) Setup:

Wireless Mode - AP
Network Mode - Bridge
Version Firmware - 5.3.2 just downgrade from the last firmware.
Channel width - 20mhz
Noise floor - -87
Air Max - Disabled

Rocket is connected with RB 433AH.

Ping is OK with omni.

Any idea...

Thanks

When you say, "They can't get the Internet for the full time" what does that mean? Are they loosing association to the AP or could it be more of a LAYER3 issue whereas it could be a DNS or NAT issue. Have you reviewed your logs on the RB433AH? Are the other UBNT units experiencing the same issue as the singular polarity wifi clients?
cpellumb

When you say, "They can't get the Internet for the full time" what does that mean? Are they loosing association to the AP or could it be more of a LAYER3 issue whereas it could be a DNS or NAT issue. Have you reviewed your logs on the RB433AH? Are the other UBNT units experiencing the same issue as the singular polarity wifi clients?

Thats mean the ping is going up to 1000!!!! and time out...
cpellumb
Veteran Member
Bean_Planter

You say "Ping is Ok with omni". Then you say "ping is going up to 1000!!!!"
I (and others) have asked you for specific information and you refuse to provide it.
You need a consultant. I suggest you try those that Google indexes by this term:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_reading
Gene
NEW FORUM MEMBERS:
Setup Help: Select the [Knowledge Base] link above. Search on "setup" or "configure".
cpellumb

You say "Ping is Ok with omni". Then you say "ping is going up to 1000!!!!"
I (and others) have asked you for specific information and you refuse to provide it.
You need a consultant. I suggest you try those that Google indexes by this term:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_reading
Gene

haha many thanks!
Got the solution!
Regards
cpellumb
kuschnjo

Bump for a topic
have a similar problem
I am running a Rocket M2 with a BaseStation 120 Sector antenna with AirMax turned off
I've got around 20 hosts connecting to the Rocket. At times when the utilization goes up (above 1.5 Mb) the suers start to experience quite an amount of packet loss and thus the "internet connection" is poor or not working at all. With pings I isolated this to the wireless part of the connection.
Any ideas what I might start looking at?
Thanks
vidalian

Hello my friend, I have the same problem but I do not know what to do, would you tell me how you fix your problem_
Veteran Member
Bean_Planter

Why is Airmax disabled? Its purpose is to serve steady streams to multiple clients (especially those who are "hidden").
You have a lot of CPE's with good signals and poor throughputs. Additionally, they have short connect times, as if they've auto-rebooted recently. All of that may be adversely affecting the AP. How does the Fresnel Zone look on those paths, specifically?
Cheers,
Gene
NEW FORUM MEMBERS:
kuschnjo

Why is Airmax disabled? Its purpose is to serve steady streams to multiple clients (especially those who are "hidden").
Gene

Well my assumption was that airmax is a ubnt proprietary thing and works only with ubnt only gear. I have various CPEs (legacy installations), that's why it is off. But if it works neverthells I'll gladly turn it on.

You have a lot of CPE's with good signals and poor throughputs. Additionally, they have short connect times, as if they've auto-rebooted recently. All of that may be adversely affecting the AP. How does the Fresnel Zone look on those paths, specifically?

Cheers,
Gene

For the short connect times - dunno why is that, I have no watchdogs which would reload the CPEs must be the users themselves.
The Fresnel should be fine, an example for all is the .126 - I'm 100% sure that one is good. Another fact to prove my point - the packet loss started only several months ago. All was running okay for months after I installed the rocket.
Veteran Member
mhoppes

You still haven't posted an AirView for us to see.
AirMax will only work with Ubiquiti equipment.
You have a handful of clients with -80 signals. Thats way too low and is probably the cause of your issues.

kuschnjo

Here is the airmax.

The weakest signal here is -76. I would understand if only the users with -70 or worse signal were having problems, but it's also the ones with the best signal, like for instance 00:18:90:30:15:14
One other thing is that the installation was without any problems for a couple of months and the packet loss is a recent thing (two months or so)
Veteran Member
mhoppes

What channel are you trying to run on?

kuschnjo

What channel are you trying to run on?

channel 6 / 2437 MHz
jim4394
Kudos: 19

I would shift it to channel 2442 because 5mhz of your band is completely interfered with. Also we have found that anything but ALL ubiquiti gear on a ubiquiti access point with that much inteference will loose a large amount of the throughput. If you replace all the legacy gear with ubiquiti equipment and shoot for a MIN signal of -65 on all connections with airmax on then you will see your issues dissappear. You may even need to shift your channel width to 10mhz after changing to ubiquiti units and take advantage of the 2x2 instead of basic B/G data rates which will be more robust and offer higher signal rates than a 20mhz B/G system.
kuschnjo

I would shift it to channel 2442 because 5mhz of your band is completely interfered with. Also we have found that anything but ALL ubiquiti gear on a ubiquiti access point with that much inteference will loose a large amount of the throughput. If you replace all the legacy gear with ubiquiti equipment and shoot for a MIN signal of -65 on all connections with airmax on then you will see your issues dissappear. You may even need to shift your channel width to 10mhz after changing to ubiquiti units and take advantage of the 2x2 instead of basic B/G data rates which will be more robust and offer higher signal rates than a 20mhz B/G system.

Thanks for the advice. I shifted the channel to 2442 and the drops did go down significantly, but the latency to the gateway was massive - around 2sec average ping RTT. So I tried to push it to 2447 and it made a difference. Ping RTT was in the sinlge digits (milisecond wise) and the throughput chart on the rocket displayed numbers I never saw before.

As to the migration strategy. I'll think about slowly changing the legacy devices to ubnt bullets. But in the meantime I might add another AP for the legacy CPEs and push the current ubnt gear onto the rocket with airmax enabled.
Veteran Member
mhoppes

2447 looks like it might be your best bet. See that thing that looks like a blue arch? That's another access point VERY close to you. Is there another WISP on the tower?

kuschnjo

2447 looks like it might be your best bet. See that thing that looks like a blue arch? That's another access point VERY close to you. Is there another WISP on the tower?

That's my other AP covering other users out of the reach of the rocket. I'm the only WISP in my village. Due to budget restrains (were a small network) it's only a NanoStation M2 and since they are on the same tower....