moya

Link Aggregation

Hi gents,

Has anyone ever tried to use the Link Aggregation protocol/functionality that's available on some switches?

The reason for the question is to attempt to solve a minor issue that I have.
The max aggregate rate that I get from a 30.8Mile shot is 67Mbps, but I need at least twice as much, so I would like to find out if I can set up two distinct RF links and then aggregate them using the above mentioned switches.

Any suggestions and/or questions are welcome.

Thanks.
Previous Employee
UBNT-Mike.Ford
Kudos: 11

Re: Link Aggregation

Hi gents,

Has anyone ever tried to use the Link Aggregation protocol/functionality that's available on some switches?

The reason for the question is to attempt to solve a minor issue that I have.
The max aggregate rate that I get from a 30.8Mile shot is 67Mbps, but I need at least twice as much, so I would like to find out if I can set up two distinct RF links and then aggregate them using the above mentioned switches.

Any suggestions and/or questions are welcome.

Thanks.

Hello,
Yes you can do this with a WAN load balancing router I believe. Some other guys will chime in here.
Thanks,
Mike
siddolo

i think that you can put 2 mikrotik rb750 (26$) or something linke this under the tower, put your 2 ubnt radio in 2 different router port on 2 different network and turn on OSPF with equal cost multipath setup
I have a dream: mpls through ubiquiti devices.
tagno25
Kudos: 5

moya

Thanks, what you are suggesting makes perfect sense and I have done it in the past using Mtik and OSPF. What I want to do is avoid the additional latency that is inherent when using a router. The general idea is to configure a couple of ports in the switch in trunk mode so it will see the RF links just as another set of Cat5s. Obviously I would have the same setup at both ends of the link.

It would be using the same setup that Butch Evans has, except that the routers will be replaced with switches.

Thanks for your suggestions.

-Moya
Emerging Member
jlamanna
Kudos: 2

If you are using Cisco equipment, I believe you can use EtherChannel on both sides to aggregate several switch ports.
tagno25
Kudos: 5

Trunking, LACP, and FEC should do what you want, in theory.

forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1267073760399+28353475&threadI...
Philip Dorr
KD0IXY
moya

Yes, that is correct. I want to use the 802.3ad standard and I should have said that from the beginning - my apologies.
In principle this should be doable and I read somewhere else that Tranzeo radios in a PtP configuration can do it, but the real question is if someone here has done it with the Rocket M in a PtP (WDS) mode.
From my perspective this would be a clean and efficient way to add redundancy and bandwidth for the backhaul.
I attempted to do this with another vendor's radios, but they weren't true bridges.
Has anyone tried this?
Would you agree that this would be a nice feature to have?
Thanks,
-Moya
siddolo

you can see something like you want:

wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Bonding
wiki.mikrotik.com/images/f/f7/X1-Bondingv01.2006.pdf
www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/3.0/interface/bonding_content.php

Bonding is a technology that allows to aggregate multiple ethernet-like interfaces into a single virtual link, thus getting higher data rates and providing failover.

You can set a type/mode of bonding:

802.3ad - IEEE 802.3ad dynamic link aggregation. In this mode, the interfaces are aggregated in a group where each slave shares the same speed. If you use a switch between 2 bonding routers, be sure that this switch supports IEEE 802.3ad standard. Provides fault tolerance and load balancing.
active-backup - provides link backup. Only one slave can be active at a time. Another slave becomes active only, if first one fails.
balance-alb - adaptive load balancing. It includes balance-tlb and received traffic is also balanced. Device driver should support for setting the mac address, then it is active. Otherwise balance-alb doesn't work. No special switch is required.
balance-rr - round-robin load balancing. Slaves in bonding interface will transmit and receive data in sequential order. Provides load balancing and fault tolerance.
balance-tlb - Outgoing traffic is distributed according to the current load on each slave. Incoming traffic is received by the current slave. If receiving slave fails, then another slave takes the MAC address of the failed slave. Doesn't require any special switch support.
balance-xor - Use XOR policy for transmit. Provides only failover (in very good quality), but not load balancing, yet.
broadcast - Broadcasts the same data on all interfaces at once. This provides fault tolerance but slows down traffic throughput on some slow machines.
I have a dream: mpls through ubiquiti devices.
emetesh

So...has anyone successfully implemented this etherchannel on a pair of Cisco switches? I can get one side up and trunking but not the other. I lose connectivity to the machines at the far side when I connect the 2nd link, looping maybe...disconnect and I am OK again..thx for any reply