43-north
Kudos: 5

What would cause purple light on power supply?

I installed a Nanobridge M5 and a Rocket M5 on a tower yesterday.

When I plug in both power supplies the lights on the power supplies are how they are supposed to be. As soon as I plug in the LAN jumper cable the light on the Rocket supply turns purple.

What are some reasons for this? Also these are plugged into a GCFI outlet if that matters....
43-north

Re: What would cause purple light on power supply?

I little update on my situation..... I went back today and tried to trouble shoot things. I tried a different power outlet and also put new cable ends on the Tough Cable at the power outlet end. Still get the purple light with the Nanobridge and nothing at all with the Rocket M5.

The strange thing is that I can see the power light on both radios is lit up but cannot access either radio through the LAN port..... Anyone have any ideas???
Established Member
SPITwSPOTS
Kudos: 373
Solutions: 5

Sounds like there is a problem with your cable.
I don't know about the light turning "purple" :ack2: ... but the fact that it changes when you plug in the LAN sounds like either you are using a non standard or inconsistent wiring pattern or maybe you have a staple through your cable or something along those lines.
Do a Great Thing.
43-north

I suspect that I may have crossed the wires up at the radios, but it seems unlikely that I would have made the mistake of doing it on both radios.... Who knows, it was 20 degrees out and I was freezing in the boom truck.
Why would the power lights be on both radios? Also if the Nanobridge has power, why would it not connect to the other end of the wireless PTP link?
Frequent Visitor
blazeking

43-north - did you ever figure this out? We just installed 2 Rocket M5's at a site, and both showed the "purple LED" (red/blue flashing at the same time). They are acting like they've been bricked. The POE adapter lights blue until you plug in the Rocket M5, then comes the purple lightshow.
Emerging Member
iw4azy
Kudos: 10

Usually when the led change colour to purple, there a short on the line out of the POE.

The short can be made by an ethernet cable with a problem, or in alternative by the internal protection diode, present on every Ubiquiti device (usually is located near the ethernet port) is a double contact squared SMD piece 5 x 5 mm. marked GEZ.

This diode protect the device from problem on alimentation line, it's very robust, but in some case, it can dead, and can be substitute with a standard 1N400x series.

A nice evening to all
Established Member
Wifimax
Kudos: 186
Solutions: 2

I had this happen once but I forgot what it was... It was either some moisture in the Cat5 somewhere, or a bad fitting...
Oddly enough it was on a sector that had been operational for 6 months... But when the temperature swung to below freezing, the fitting went bad and took it offline.
43-north

43-north - did you ever figure this out? We just installed 2 Rocket M5's at a site, and both showed the "purple LED" (red/blue flashing at the same time). They are acting like they've been bricked. The POE adapter lights blue until you plug in the Rocket M5, then comes the purple lightshow.

No never did figure it out. Tried switching power supplies but that did not work. Ended up RMA the device. Once we installed the new one, all worked perfectly and has been ever since. Never did anything with the ethernet cable etc. Something in the radio itself was bad. I would just RMA it if I were you.
Frequent Visitor
blazeking

Thanks everyone. We are going through the RMA process now.