R.CARLOS 6

Nanostation 2 with Wireless reception

Hello guys..

First of all I would thank you for that great forum and thank company as well for that great product..

I want from you please to help me how to configure nanostation 2 to receive internet from wireless without wire.. Is that possible or not?

as I have cofigured nanostation to receive internet with wire but when I try to connect by using wireless it is not respond ( Received bytes=o)
but there is sent bytes!

my configuration is (Access Point WDS) with conservative normal operation (QoS=Auto priority)

Is that possible to receive Net through wireless ? and if that so please tell me what is the right configuration

and thanks above all
R.CARLOS 6

Re: Nanostation 2 with Wireless reception

Whats that people no one know :mansad:

please help me
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-keba
Kudos: 24

Hi,

I'm still not understand what is your network connection schema. Is it like this:

Internet---ethernet--NS2(AP WDS bridge mode)--wireless--your wireless clients (aka PC)?

Where:
ethernet - wired/cable

If so then what is wireless client used?
Ubiquiti Networks, Inc.
System programmer
Ancient Member
WHT
Kudos: 5165
Solutions: 94

How many Nanostations do you have, one or two?
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
Previous Employee
UBNT-Mike.Ford
Kudos: 11

Hello,

Please be very specific about the details of your link so that we may better assist you,

Thank you,

Mike
Ancient Member
WHT

The reason I asked if he had one or two antennas as I don't see anything definitive in his post to explain if he's try to do a point to point link or trying to use his NS as a client connecting to someone else's AP.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"

R.CARLOS 6

Hi,

I'm still not understand what is your network connection schema. Is it like this:

Internet---ethernet--NS2(AP WDS bridge mode)--wireless--your wireless clients (aka PC)?

Where:
ethernet - wired/cable

If so then what is wireless client used?

Yes it is like ethernet NS2(Access point bridge mode)
where: ethernet

As I receive internet just by using ethenet wire but not able to use internet by wireless
R.CARLOS 6

How many Nanostations do you have, one or two?

I have one and there is another one in my cousin house that far from my house approximately 1 kilometer

as my cousin's one is the one that transmit internet to me
Established Member
MaximumISP
Kudos: 212

You will need to add a wireless router onto the Ethernet cable or another ns to have wireless in your home

kasped

You will need to add a wireless router onto the Ethernet cable or another ns to have wireless in your home

I would beg to differ on that one MaximumISP....

I have a Linksys running DD_WRT doing short haul WDS in my RV Park and now a NS2 in WDS Station Mode, hard wired into the Linksys doing WDS 300m through trees (NO Line of Sight) to another NS2, in WDS AP Mode and I have a connection to it on the far side wirelessly.

Right now there is no Security as I have had issues due to the trees.

So he should be able to have wireless in the house as long as his cousin is configured as WDS Station and his Unit is WDS AP.

I'll be back to the RV Park in about 4 hours to verify it is still functional. I will try to view this string to see if he has it working.

My advise is to set them up with a wall or two between them in one location, get it working, power down remote side, move to new location, mount and aim then and power it up and verify operation returns.

Let me know if it works....

I never got WDS AP to WDS AP to work at all unless the two units were within 10 feet of each other.......

Regards,
Dave
Dave Kasper
kasped

The link was up - sort of.....

Well, the link was still there but it looks like it is only if there is interesting traffic.

When I connect to the AP WDS node it takes about 10 minutes finally get a DHCP Address from the far side. The link does not seem to be up until several bootp requests are sent, then finally it receives a DHCP offer and activity.

Next time I will set a static IP and retry.

I would have thought the Ping watchdog would have kept the link up, but maybe the timing is longer than the interesting traffic timer. Any programmers listening that could tell me?

I am still looking to raise the far end higher into the tree tops to see if I can get a better -dBm rating on the link.

it is only about 250 - 300 metres, but with the trees and no LOS the signal is down in the noise and many pings are still being lost.

I'll post further updates here or in a new topic....

I can not get AP WDS to AP WDS working. Maybe it needs a better signal.
Dave Kasper
Established Member
MaximumISP
Kudos: 212

kasped
I do agree with you that ap wds on his end should work in theory
in reality there seems to be some issues currently in the firmware versions that prevent reliable operation in this mode

Since there will also be some through put loss in that configuration I still believe adding a cheapie indoor router behind the NS would be the faster more easier means to accomplish the goal for wifi at his location

I have WDS AP - WDS AP working by the way in fact on one 13 Km link its the only way I could get it to function thanks to Nexus

WDS Station - WDS AP simply would not pass traffic
There are ongoing posts from Nexus outlining this problem which also has my experiences posted on the issue as well

Frotihngdog.ca

We have several PS2 and PS5 links operating in AP-WDS > STA-WDS mode with no issues.

The only problem we have is when we try to run it in straight ACCESS POINT mode to STATION. This does not pass DHCP for us because the version of DHCPD we are running on our towers is to old and is not ISC Standard.
juanitorojo

The solution is ver simply

I bought a NanoStation and my solution to all problem, was upgrade the firmware is very important to make that...

Is the first step udgrade firmaware to last version

tanks support !!
I want how to install and configure the NanoStation2
vecino.com

I have a similar question about setting up a wireless connection from NS2 to my PC. Right now, the NS2 is hooked up at rooftop and the PC and NS2 is linked via Ethernet cable. Now, do I need a regular router to hook between the 2? Something like this?

NS2--> Wireless Router--> PC

If this is the config, how do I set the router as access point or bridge? Thanks.
Ancient Member
WHT

You could connect the NS directly to your PC, but that's not a good idea.

Its better to stick a router in between to act as a firewall.

vecino.com

That's a good idea. I wanted to connect via wireless to the NS in any case. Thanks.