Emerging Member
rmeche
Kudos: 1

Open Mesh Pico2

I am hoping to find someone that has had success with flashing the pico2 with the open mesh firmware. I have spent numerous hours and have cried uncle. I have tried numerous suggestions all resulting in failure. I would think this link - www.open-mesh.com/activekb/questions/24/How+to+Flash+Open+Mesh+(and+all+Compatible)+Routers: would have been sufficient, since it refers to the UNBT products specifically and is dated Nov 7 2009. Anyone want to take a shot a this one. Thanks in advance.
kilos

Re: Open Mesh Pico2

Have you read the Ubnt Wiki on installing OpenMesh
wiki.ubnt.com/wiki/index.php/Pico2_mesh
Regards
Justin Miles

South Africa Webcam Site: midafricam.co.za
Emerging Member
pkley
Kudos: 2

I'm wondering if open mesh would be best for me.
I've got two customers. One is a multi-building ag site with a bunch of metal buildings. I have two AP's that are hard wired and two more that are not. The problem is that I need it to be self healing if one of the AP's goes down or like recently happened, the fiber gets cut.

Any thoughts?
Established Member
FreenetAntennas
Kudos: 202
Solutions: 14

I am hoping to find someone that has had success with flashing the pico2 with the open mesh firmware. I have spent numerous hours and have cried uncle. I have tried numerous suggestions all resulting in failure. I would think this link - www.open-mesh.com/activekb/questions/24/How+to+Flash+Open+Mesh+(and+all+Compatible)+Routers: would have been sufficient, since it refers to the UNBT products specifically and is dated Nov 7 2009. Anyone want to take a shot a this one. Thanks in advance.

I am having same problem with a Pico2HP. The TFTP seems to go ahead - but the Pico2HP never reboots.

Have you read the Ubnt Wiki on installing OpenMesh
wiki.ubnt.com/wiki/index.php/Pico2_mesh

Yes and is quite out of date. Having said that - I did try this method also. It seems to install OK but the version it installed is very old and seems no longer compatible with Open-Mesh. (??)
UPDATE: Works fine with B2 and NS2L. So it is something incompatible in the Pico2(HP) that means we can not load open-mesh. I have emailed mike @ open-mesh with with a report. Hope they can fix as the Pico2 is ideal for my prospective customer in a shopping center.
UPDATE: Reveived the following from open-mesh
I am also having problems under Windows, but it works for me under Linux. You might try booting an Ubuntu live CD and see if it works from there. Ubiquiti has changed their redboot settings on the Pico2 making it harder to flash.
For me, the only thing that worked was redboot (not tftp) method under linux. I was using Ubuntu (latest).

I tried the from a Ubuntu PC, and same result. Nothing.
Rob Clark
Freenet Warehouse
Biggest Ubiquiti Distributor in Australia
Certified airMAX Instructor
Certified UniFi Instructor
Certified Routing and Switching Instructor
Established Member
FreenetAntennas

Success!
1) Downgraded the Pico2HP to V3.2
2) Followed these instructions http://www.open-mesh.com/activekb/questions/24/How+to+Flash+Open+Mesh+(and+all+Compatible)+Routers%3.... Ran from a Ubuntu (Linux) PC.
Here is a screen dump FYI

rclark@rclark-desktop:~$ sudo ./open-mesh-flash 1
Non arp received. Make sure, the device is connected directly!
Non arp received. Make sure, the device is connected directly!
Peer MAC: 00:15:6d:f5:1e:2f
Peer IP : 192.168.1.20
Your MAC: 00:ba:be:ca:ff:ee <-- Bogus but it worked
Your IP : 192.168.1.0 <-- Bogus but it worked
Redboot enabled device detected - using redboot to flash
WARNING: UNPLUGGING POWER OR ETHERNET DURING THIS PROCESS WILL LIKELY DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE AND THIS WILL NOT BE COVERED BY WARRANTY!
A flash size of 8 MB was detected.
rootfs(0x006a0000) + kernel(0x00100000) + nvram(0x00000000) sums up to 0x007a0000 bytes
Setting IP address...
Loading rootfs...
Sending rootfs, 4096 blocks...
Initializing partitions...
Rootfs partition size now 0x006b0000
Flashing rootfs...
Loading kernel...
Sending kernel, 1408 blocks...
Flashing kernel...
Setting boot_script_data...
Done. Restarting device...
Rob Clark
Freenet Warehouse
Established Member
Ron
Kudos: 24

I find that a WDS bridged setup works well for us without any special mesh protocol.
lorell@officeconnect.net

Did you have to press the reset button on the PicoStation2HP immediately after power up?
Established Member
FreenetAntennas

No - I followed the instructions mentioned above - and they do not ask you to do that for a Pico2.
Rob Clark
Freenet Warehouse
Established Member
FreenetAntennas

Latest Update .... not good

Don't ask me what I did special on the Pico2HP that I managed to flash .. but we have tried 4 more Pico2HPs ... and can NOT flash Open-Mesh into them.

That included after downgrading to V3.2

Rob
Rob Clark
Freenet Warehouse
Black6spdz

Its pretty easy really.. download ap51 flash from here download.berlin.freifunk.net/fonera/

and get

dev.open-mesh.com/downloads/stable/firmware/openwrt-atheros-root.squashfs

and the file

dev.open-mesh.com/downloads/stable/firmware/openwrt-atheros-vmlinux.lzma

select the files inside ap51 flash, the ethernet interface on your pc and click start.. plug the poe adapter into your pc and last plug in the pico.. it should start the flashing process. sometimes it may take a try or two because the redboot flash window is so short on these radios the flash software will miss it..
Established Member
FreenetAntennas

I found these instructions to expand the small 1sec window of opportunity you have to flash the Pico2HP. Have not tried - but a customer said he did this successfully.

Below are the instructions for flashing a Picostation2 HP with open mesh firmware.

Problem:
The Boot timeout (in the redboot boot loader) is too short to successfully flash the devices with a non Ubiquiti Firmware. So before you can flash a new firmware we need to increase the timeout.
Ingredients:
You are going to need the following files in a folder of your choosing

--- breakin.bat ---
echo off
:start
rem ------------------------------------------------
ping 192.168.1.20 -n 1 -w 1 > NULL
echo .
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 goto start
rem ------------------------------------------------
break
putty.exe telnet://192.168.1.20:9000 -m redboot.txt
--- end ---

--- redboot.txt ---
^C
--- end ---

Method:
The idea behind the script is that it will ping the PicoStation2 until it responds and then it launches a telnet session with putty and sends the Control+C command to stop the boot process and give you a terminal.

With that in mind, fire up a command prompt on your windows machine and start running the breakin.bat script.

Once the script is running, plug your PicoStation2 into the network. It should only take a few seconds for the script to break into the boot process. If after 20 seconds you do not have a putty telnet session window open, unplug the device, wait for 20 seconds and try again.

Now that you have a putty telnet session open, you should see similar to the following:

== Executing boot script in 0.090 seconds - enter ^C to abort
^C
RedBoot>

Now that you have a command prompt, you need to run the fconfig command and change the settings.
Note: To delete a character, use Control+H (^H) It does not delete the character on screen, but it does delete the character!
Note: Use the enter key to get to the next line (setting)

Here is a screen dump of me changing the config on one of the devices

== Executing boot script in 0.090 seconds - enter ^C to abort
^C
RedBoot> fconfig
Run script at boot: true
Boot script:
.. fis load -l vmlinux.bin.l7
.. exec
Enter script, terminate with empty line
>>
Boot script timeout (1000ms resolution): 1^H2
Use BOOTP for network configuration: false
Gateway IP address:
Local IP address: 192.168.1.20
Local IP address mask: 255.255.255.0
Default server IP address:
Console baud rate: 9600
GDB connection port: 9000
Force console for special debug messages: false
Network debug at boot time: false
Update RedBoot non-volatile configuration - continue (y/n)? y
... Erase from 0xa87e0000-0xa87f0000: .
... Program from 0x80ff0000-0x81000000 at 0xa87e0000: .
RedBoot> reset

So now you have a PicoStation2 with a two second boot timeout it is time to flash it. Use the following steps to get your device flashed.
1. Determine the interface your device it attached to (run the open-mesh-flash.exe without parameters to see a list)

2. Run the open-mesh-flash.exe specifying your interface

3. Plug your PicoStation2 in

4. Watch the magic happen!

Full instructions can be found at this URL: www.open-mesh.com/activekb/questions/24/How+to+Flash+Open+Mesh+(and+all+Compatible)+Routers%3A
Rob Clark
Freenet Warehouse
vrivera123
Kudos: 8

FLASH YOUR GEAR - LISTEN TO ME - I'M TRYING TO HELP

i see a ton of posts filled with odd advice, and i leave it at that.

1. you need tftp enabled, open cmd prompt, type tftp hit enter, if it says unrecognized command then you need to enable it...(not download it, not buy it, not find software that does it)
1a. control panel, programs, add/remove windows features, put a check mark on tftp server, click ok, then close.
1b. see #1
1c. still getting an error, this is because when people give advice in these post they assume everybody is using the same OS with same features...when you find the cmd shortcut, don't just click it, RIGHT CLICK IT, then select "run as admin".

2.change pwd(present working directory, for the non unix peeps) if your firmware is in downloads you need to be in downloads...so c:username is wrong is should be c:username/downloads
2a. how you ask.....type cd downloads hit enter....

3. Next make sure your computer is in the same ip range....
3a. newbies, this means you cant flash 192.168.1.20 if your ip is 10.20.214.1
3b. to be on the safe side, static ip yourself to 192.168.1.XX
4. Connect device to your computer, put device in reset mode (flashing lights)
5. execute your tftp command..

if you need help contact me, i take donations....beer and pizza is fine.... : P
Black6spdz

thats perfect flashing advice as long as your firmware is a combined BIN image. OpenMesh and RobinMesh come in seperate kernel and filesystem files hence my suggestion. I have never once bricked a ubiquiti radio and have flashed them many times over.
cliff_sadler

So, how has Open-Mesh dropping support for the Pico2HP affected you? I'm in the midst of starting up a new public access network using Open-Mesh and a handfull of Pico2HPs, and am feeling like the rug was just pulled out from under me. What are the options for staging a mesh network using these radios?

Advice?
Emerging Member
rmeche

First I have heard of that.

So, how has Open-Mesh dropping support for the Pico2HP affected you? I'm in the midst of starting up a new public access network using Open-Mesh and a handfull of Pico2HPs, and am feeling like the rug was just pulled out from under me. What are the options for staging a mesh network using these radios?

Advice?

I hope you are not saying the existing deployed Pico units will stop working with open mesh? They are the only deployed devices we have used with open mesh. That could be a pain.
Y-FI

Open-Mesh and Robin-Mesh split apart some time back. Open-Mesh is going it's own way with it's new fork of firmware. Robin-Mesh is still continuing on and the current r3713 is a great firmware for pico2 and pico2hp. I've been using it for some time now in our urban mesh network and it's working very well. It's listed as a development version but is the most stable version i've run yet.

you can find out more info at the robin-mesh forum robin.forumup.it/

It interfaces just fine with the open-mesh dashboard. you can see my network here.
cloudtrax.com/overview2.php?id=Y-FI
cliff_sadler

Open-Mesh and Robin-Mesh split apart some time back. Open-Mesh is going it's own way with it's new fork of firmware. Robin-Mesh is still continuing on and the current r3713 is a great firmware for pico2 and pico2hp. I've been using it for some time now in our urban mesh network and it's working very well. It's listed as a development version but is the most stable version i've run yet.

It interfaces just fine with the open-mesh dashboard. you can see my network here.

Thanks, Y-Fi. I too finally discovered a recommedation to allow the firmware upgrade to development, and did get r3713-26/nO 0.5.6-r8 to load up on all nodes. The whole network went immediately stable, and has been up ever since without dropping clients like 26 did. One curious note, though, is while I still had the network allowing firmware updates, 3 of the nodes went to r3713-HP/nO 0.5.6-r8. One node refused to move to this version (note the HP). I finally gave up and turned off updating. Know anything about this version, and whether it was posted and then taken down for some reason?
The network is working great, so I'm reluctant to mess with it at this point.
Established Member
FreenetAntennas

But the worrying question is...
For how long will a Pico2HP flashed with r3713 still work with the Open-Mesh dashboard?
Open-Mesh.org has no obligation to maintain support for products they don't sell.
???
Rob Clark
Freenet Warehouse
cliff_sadler

In fact I just checked your mesh, and you also have a mix of nodes that are at 3713-26 and 3713-HP. ???
Established Member
FreenetAntennas

Cliff,
You are 100% correct - Robin-Mesh nodes work perfectly with CloudTrax Dashboard at Open-Mesh ... today.
But how do we know about tomorrow?
Open-Mesh have confirmed they will no longer support any other hardware except their own as they move forward. So how do we know they will even support Robin-Mesh nodes?
Rob Clark
Freenet Warehouse