v65steve

Open Mesh PicoStation2 Hp no check in

Hello, I have two of the PicoStation2 HP's that came with as a package deal with the open mesh omp1 but I have been unable to get them to check in on the open mesh dashboard. Both box's have an open mesh sticker on them and they have a test pass sticker from UBIQUITI.
I have tried to acess them with the default address and nothing. Does anyone have any Idea as to what has happened or anything i can do. They both power up and I have done the reset and it will flash 2 led's at a time back and forth untill I pull power and power up again, but thats as far as ive gotten. Please help...
NexuJosh
Kudos: 1

Re: Open Mesh PicoStation2 Hp no check in

Are you still having trouble? I do quite a lot with Picos and Open Mesh. I was searching for another issue when I saw your post.
Emerging Member
bmoffitt
Kudos: 3

Issue with new Pico2HP units

We just got a shipment of Pico2HPs that will not run Robin (or any other OpenWRT build that uses the WiFi radio).

In the log there's a message that says:

wifi%d ath_attach failed: -22

It appears that Ubiquiti quietly changed the hardware for the Pico2HP and this has broken the WiFi for OpenWRT. I just downloaded Backfire (OpenWRT 10.03.1) to verify that it works fine on earlier Pico2HPs, but not on the newest one I have. The MAC address on this starts with 00:27:22:8A, but I have another with a MAC that starts with 00:27:22:84 that works fine.

We need to get the OpenWRT community to address this.

It would be a REALLY GOOD IDEA if someone from Ubiquiti would address this, and quickly. I suspect there are a lot of us out there putting different variants of OpenWRT on Ubiquiti gear (especially PicoStations), and they stand to lose some real revenue in the new year, at a time when they can least afford it. I'm not suggesting that they "support" OpenWRT, just "enable" it.
Emerging Member
bmoffitt

I posted this to the openwrt-devel@lists.openwrt.org list and got the following reply from Jo-Philipp Wich:

Ubiquiti tightened the regulatory enforcement. They now ship with a
regdomain entry in the boarddate which is not recognized by OpenWrt's
HAL, therfore the wifi is rejected.

It can be fixed by changing the byte at offset 0x277 in mtd6 to 0x00 or
any other valid regdomain id.

Possible fixes are difficult. One obvious solution is to make the HAL
recognize Ubnt's new IDs, but that is going to be difficult since its
closed source. The other workaround I can think of is to runtime-patch
the in-memory copy of the radio-data in the board setup code.

I'm surprised that, if I set the country code in AirOS, it doesn't write it to the EEPROM and save it. I'd think there should be some way to do that so the regdomain and country code "survive" flashing the new OS.

Any ideas???
NexuJosh

I certainly agree with bmoffit. The problem I was searching for is the problem the is referring to. I certainly love the Ubiquiti devices, but I also need most of them to work with other firmwares. This is what drew me to UBNT.

How do I "runtime-patch the in-memory copy of the radio-data in the board setup code"?
SuperUser
Dave-D
Kudos: 4045
Solutions: 489

This is only a hunch, but...

My hunch is that when Ubiquiti changed
the hardware 'signature' to lock radios
to region, they also decided to ensure
they could not be easily modified to
break the region. That would mean
excluding 3rd-party firmware that
could unlock the country code. Dave
No disclaimer. Nothing to sell. I need to fix that.
SuperUser
WHT
Kudos: 5775
Solutions: 128

It appears that Ubiquiti quietly changed the hardware for the Pico2HP and this has broken the WiFi for OpenWRT.
While it might have been "quietly", it certainly wasn't surreptitious. UBNT could completely rewrite everything without obligation to the WRT community.

I would think it was not that UBNT has broken anything, rather WRT was based on a weak presumption UBTN would always accommodate and announce changes to the WRT community.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
NexuJosh

I agree that UBNT has no obligation to the WRT community, it would certainly be a foolish business move for UBNT to make their hardware not work with WRT though. One of the things that has made this product so popular (and profitable) is that the WRT community has embraced this hardware as a useful platform. I'm not at all suggesting that UBNT has purposely done this. Just pointing out that although they certainly don't have an obligation, they could lose business if we can't use the product.

There has to be a way that we're not "breaking" the region information to make it work with other firmware. Just like in the AirOS, the installer is the one choosing those region options. It says that the equipment should be professionally installed and that it is the installer's responsibility to chose the legal options. It's really always been that way on AirOS, but now UBNT is making it MUCH clearer in AirOS. I think that's a good thing. I fully understand why the regulations are there and that UBNT was fined and that they need to make it much clearer what the rules are and to make sure the installers understand what they're supposed to be doing. Can't we make it so that those same options are chosen before reflashing or that those same options are available in the other firmwares? It's the responsibility of the person putting alternate firmware on the radio to follow the regulations, not the hardware manufacturer.

Is that correct or am I missing something?
SuperUser
Dave-D

You're missing something big.

The FCC made it the manufacturer's
problem to lock the radios to regional
settings. It's a specific ruling or
'clarification', and Ubiquiti must comply.

If Ubiquiti now makes a product that
can be taken out of band simply by
reflashing with 3rd-party firmware,
that would violate the FCC mandates.

And of course if the product could be
taken out of band by reflashing with
Ubiquiti's own firmware (say an earlier
version), that would be even worse.
That's why there's a hardware signature
that prevents that.

The same signature system probably locks
out 3rd party; I don't see an easy answer. Dave
NexuJosh

If it has to be locked to a certain regions, then why can I still change it in the newest radios? They certainly make sure I know I should choose legal settings, but it certainly seems like I can change it just like I have always been able to do with UBNT products. I don't need 3rd party firmware to do that. I don't see where they took the option away. If they did then I could understand what you're saying.

Note: I have no interest in taking them out of band in case that is somehow implied in my conversation. I want to make that clear. I just need the radios to work. I understand that things have changed due to having to comply with regulatory stuff as I've agreed with, but since I can set them out of band on AirOS, then why does that preclude placing other firmware on the radio?
SuperUser
Dave-D

'tejosh', can you describe which radio
models and which firmware permit a
change to non-compliant channels? Dave
NexuJosh

Pico2HP MAC range: 00:27:22:8x:xx

When you first boot the radio it brings you to a screen that has you choose which country you belong to. I can choose any country I wish. I assuming that if I choose a country that has different laws than mine that the options presented to me in AirOS from that point on will be not be compliant with the country I reside in. Otherwise, why am I choosing which country I belong to and why are they warning me that it's my responsibility to choose the appropriate country to follow my laws?

I'm hoping this isn't confrontational. I keep trying to explain that I'm not arguing anything. I'm just not understanding. I want to be a good customer, not a pain in the butt customer.
NexuJosh

I've attached a screen shot (I think).
ubntstartup.png
NexuJosh

I forgot to post the firmware version: XS2.ar2316.v4.0.4974.110823.1727

This is what's being shipped on all of the new radios. And I really am fine with this, but if I have a choice here to make the wrong choice, why does that change in 3rd party firmware? Isn't it the same choice?
SuperUser
Dave-D

You're doing fine, but I believe you
are describing either an older Ubiquiti
model or a new export model.

The 'splash screen' you show implies
that this is a newer model, when
the lawyers started adding 'value'.

Ubiquiti doesn't 'lock down' export
radios to particular countries; they
have no obligation to do that, and
it would be a morass. Not only
that, the rules change often,
and even by locality.

If you're asking whether an export
model will accept 3rd-party firmware,
I don't know. But these radios are
not legal for sale in North America. Dave
NexuJosh

Now this is certainly interesting info. Hmmm... the radios have have shut the wireless off when I have a 3rd party firmware on them. Other than that they work fine (lathough that's a pretty big hitch :icon_smile:) I do buy them online (fairly obvious since I think that's the only place you can get them). I did by 2 different batches from 2 different vendors. I usually just choose the best price. I've talked a to some other people that have run into the same issue. It seems to start at the MAC address I listed above. All of mine with this "problem" are after that MAC address. I would have thought these were for sale for the US only because their website didn't seem to really cater to other countries, but that's hard to tell only from the site.

That splash screen is new and I agree it certainly seems like the fallout from the fine and the lawyers. And I think that's quite prudent and smart on Ubiquiti's part. As you said, the regulations are different everywhere and even change in the same location over time. So it seems like it would have to be up to the customer to ensure they remain within the regulations and that Ubiquiti would be very smart to make very sure the customer knows that. It just gets me back to the original question: why, if I can make an inappropriate switch with the original firmware, should I not be able load 3rd party firmware that may let me do the same thing. I don't think you can do anything with the 3rd party firmware that's any different regulation wise that you couldn't do form AirOS (that's a guess on my part because maybe the programmer has access to do something with firmware that really makes the radio VERY non-compliant or something).I think most of us really do follow the regulations. None of us wants to get fined.

Interesting thought problem. I thank you for your input. It does help. I'm hoping maybe someone from UBNT (maybe you are, I'm not really sure) might look at this and think, hmmm, I guess that's a good point, maybe there really isn't a difference or maybe there's a way that they can make it quite clear, even when loading 3rd party firmware, that you need to follow local regulations. Is it possible to have a splash screen or some sort of sequence that happens on the radio even if it is reflashed?
SuperUser
Dave-D

I have no official connection with Ubiquiti.
(And I think they like that!) Dave
SuperUser
WHT
Kudos: 5775
Solutions: 128

... it would certainly be a foolish business move for UBNT to make their hardware not work with WRT though. ... One of the things that has made this product so popular (and profitable) .... they could lose business if we can't use the product.
It would hardly be a foolish move. I don't think porting to WRT contributed significantly to the profitability of the product. Hence, I don't think they would loose any business over it.

It's the responsibility of the person putting alternate firmware on the radio to follow the regulations, not the hardware manufacturer.
That's not what the law says. It's a requirement of the hardware manufacture.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
Emerging Member
bmoffitt

Solution found

Folks-

I found a solution (or at least a good hack), and I have posted it to the Robin forum. I am reposting it here.

What needs to be done is replace the 632nd bit in one of the /dev/mtd* files (sometimes it's mtd6, sometimes mtd7; not sure why), which seems to contain a lot of the configuration information for the wifi device.

Here's how I did it is this; first, I put the following script in /etc/ and called it regdoman-script.sh:

#!/bin/sh
# By Bill Moffitt - this script puts a zero in the 632nd byte of the appropriate device
#
date >>/etc/firstbootlog
echo "Starting regdomain-script.sh" >>/etc/firstbootlog
partn=`grep boardconfig /proc/mtd |awk '{print $1}' |cut -d: -f1`
byte=$(hexdump -b /dev/$partn |grep 0000270 |awk '{print $9}')
echo "Going to work on partition $partn where regdomain is $byte"
if ; then
echo "success" >/tmp/regdomain_success
exit
fi
if ; then
echo "Setting up regdomain on partition /dev/$partn" >>/etc/firstbootlog
dd if=/dev/$partn of=/tmp/mtdfile bs=1 count=631 && echo "got the first 631 bytes" >>/etc/firstbootlog
dd if=/dev/zero bs=1 count=1 >>/tmp/mtdfile && echo "put in the zero" >>/etc/firstbootlog
dd if=/dev/$partn bs=1 skip=632 >>/tmp/mtdfile && echo "got the rest of the file" >>/etc/firstbootlog
mtd erase $partn && echo "erased the partition" >>/etc/firstbootlog
dd if=/tmp/mtdfile of=/dev/$partn 2>>/etc/firstbootlog && echo "Finished flashing partition $partn" >>/etc/firstbootlog
wait
sync && echo "Sync succeeded" >>/etc/firstbootlog
byte=$(hexdump -b /dev/$partn |grep 0000270 |awk '{print $9}')
if ; then
echo "regdomain is zero" >>/etc/firstbootlog
sync &&
rm /tmp/mtdfile
date >>/etc/firstbootlog
echo "done with regdomain" >>/etc/firstbootlog
echo "success" >/tmp/regdomain_success
else
echo "FAIL writing the file back to /dev/$partn - regdomain remains $byte"
fi
else
echo "Could not find partition" >>/etc/firstbootlog
fi

Next, I edited /etc/init.d/rcS. Just before it "kicks off" the rc.d scripts, I inserted the following code:

if ; then
logger "applying regdomain patch"
/etc/regdomain-script.sh
wait
if ; then
rm /etc/regdomain-script.sh
echo "regdomain-script.sh seems to have worked" >>/etc/firstbootlog
else
echo "regdomain-script.sh seems to have failed" >>/etc/firstbootlog
fi
fi

The upshot of this is that, on the device's first boot, it looks for the correct /dev/mtd file, checks to see if it has the "bogus" byte that Ubiquiti has placed in there, and, if it does, it changes that byte. It leaves a little log file in /etc/firstbootlog (so you can tell what happened) and, if the regdomain-script.sh has succeeded, it deletes the script so it won't execute every time the device starts up.

I don't have commit privileges, so I'd like to suggest that some version of this script be included in the startup scripts for all UBNT devices (I only work with UBNT devices, so I haven't put any code into the script to ensure I'm on a UBNT device, which might be a good idea).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks to Cody and others for all your help in debugging this.

-Bill
cliff_sadler

Uh oh. I just had a customer do an RMA on a brand new Pico2HP that after reading this thread, was exhibiting the exact symptoms: Worked fine under AirOS, but the wireless would not come up under r3842 Robin, and never checked in to Open Mesh.

I'll bet this is going to happen quite a few hundred times as us unsuspecting fools discover the hard way that they no longer work wtih Robin. Plus, I was about to purchase several more nodes to add to my 2 year exisiting mesh network in a public facility, based solely on Pico2HPs and Robin Mesh. Time to sell my stock in Ubiquiti......