Anonymous(anon)
Kudos: 2
This widget could not be displayed.

Cabling from PowerBridge to POE adapter to Linksys wireless route

So I want to say thanks for any assistance. I was over at my brother-in-laws house trying to setup his network. His ISP has installed his antenna and the power adapter (POE-15). When the LAN side of the POE is connected to his laptop, either of his 2 desktops, or to my laptop everything works. I get link lights on the NIC card(s) and an IP so you can get on the web. The problem is that when I connect it to a Linksys 10 port switch, Linksys Wireless router, or to D-Link wireless router on either the WAN or LAN ports (which either should work) I get no link lights. So physically the connection is not working. I have tried a straight through and x-over Ethernet cables from the POE LAN port to the routers. I know all my cables are good because I can use them to connect to the PCs or between the routers/switch. This should be a very simple connection. Has anyone else seen this, or am I being completely dumb? :-)
SuperUser
WHT
Kudos: 5596
Solutions: 120

Re: Cabling from PowerBridge to POE adapter to Linksys wireless route

he problem is that when I connect it to a Linksys 10 port switch, Linksys Wireless router, or to D-Link wireless router on either the WAN or LAN ports (which either should work) I get no link lights. So you know the cable you have in your hand that works when plugged into a laptop's network card, but does not work when you plug it into any other network device. That does not make sense. That means we're not seeing the whole picture.

Linksys Wireless router, or to D-Link wireless router on either the WAN or LAN ports (which either should work)If you have the DHCP server running on the LAN side of your wireless router, that can create conflicts if the radio is also passing out IPs.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
Veteran Member
Sirhc
Kudos: 2203
Solutions: 31

Also as a WISP provider I highly recommend you contact your wireless ISP provider and speak with them on this. I know we require in our agreement that our subscribers are to contact us before they install wireless routers our change what we set up for them to insure their wireless AP is a secured unit. Failure to do so could result is service suspension.
RF Armor Shield Kits for Ubiquiti M gear
www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!
Anonymous(anon)
Kudos: 2
This widget could not be displayed.

Thanks for replying.

Sirhc:

I have contacted the ISP and they brought their laptop out and plugged it in and it worked. Just like the 2 other laptops and 2 other desktops. The don't have an issue with adding more ports in his house. They couldn't explain why the routers/switches didn't work. They even gave us the user name/password to manage the bridge if we wanted to.

WHT:

Yes. The cable I remove from any of the working NICs (laptops/desktops) and plug into any of the 3 routers/switches WAN or LAN port will not get a physical link light. You are thinking of the correct picture, which is why this is a weird problem. I turned off DHCP on the routers to allow the bridge to pass them out. But this isn't even a problem since the routers are not even getting link.

PowerBridge (aka, airos, or radio).

Shielded Cat5 cable running ethernet and power down the pole to the house

POE-15 (POE side)

POE-15 (LAN side)

Cat5 (straight or x-over)

Laptop/Desktop (works), plugged into a Linksys or D-Link (no NIC lights).

Like I said this is a simple connection and a very weird issue. Sorry if this is still confusing. If need be I will have him send me the specific model numbers of everything and I will put them into a visio (or other diagram) to show you what we are doing. But it really is that simple. :-) Thanks again.