UniFi 3.2.1 is the official General Availability Release. For change logs for beta releases, see 3.1.10-RC Release Notes
Make sure you always do a backup before any updates, especially if you plan to upgrade your existing installation.
- Starting from V3, UniFi controller will honor "Automatic Firmware Upgrade" settings. APs with incompatible versions will show up as "Connected (needs upgrade)" where no provision will be performed.
- A new wireless uplink is introduced, you would need to upgrade the isolated/downlink AP first.
- See footnote 2 and 3 for voucher / portal customization.
- See footnote 4 for API changes.
- See v2->v3 Migration FAQ for more information.
New Features Introduced in V3
Multi-site management, read-only admin support
- Instead of running multiple controllers, now you can use one controller to manage multiple sites.
- Each site has its own configurations, maps, statistics, guest portals and is logically separated.
- Moreover, you can delegate administrative rights (readonly/readwrite) to other people.
Seamless Roaming - Zero-Handoff(ZH) - Still in beta state.
- Running radios on the same channel with the same BSSID. No controller is required for its operation.
- UAP AC ZH is still in development.
- Now you can create multiple WLAN groups and assign them to an AP's radio.
- Rogue AP detection
- More descriptive email alerts
- Basic SNMP support
- Enhanced load balancing per radio
- Voucher customization
- Additional payment gateway support (Stripe, QuickPay, Authorized.Net, MerchantWarrior)
- Ability to reset current statistic
- Allow the config to stay during uninstall for Windows
- Controller performance enhancement
- Insights tab: Past Wireless Connections, Past Guest Authorizations
- Standard-based roaming support (PMK-Caching, Inter-AP communication)
- Access Points tab: Config view, Performance view (footnote 1)
- Enhanced wireless uplink
- UAP-Pro wireless uplink support (UAP-Pro can use its 5G as uplink or take 8 wireless downlinks)
- Installer - Fixed upgrade failure for MAC OS installation.
- CTRL - Fixed Insight, Past Guest Authorization selecting calendar day adds a day.
- CTRL - Fixed Insight, Past Guest Authorization front arrow skips a day.
- CTRL - Fixed Insight, Past Guest Authorization back arrow does not work on the calendar.
- CTRL - Fixed Guest Portal can not use Cyrillic for simple password.
- CTRL - Fixed UTF-8 coding for guest portal voucher.
- CTRL - Fixed a typo in unifi_sh_api for unauthorize guest.
- CTRL - Fixed Rogue AP reports encrypted when AP is open security.
- UAP Outdoor+ - Improvement to AP stuck to low rates.
How to perform the upgrade
We're being more cautious in pushing releases to the world. Following Google's model, we'll have three release channels
- stable (widely used, most stable)
- rapid (soaked in beta for a while)
- beta (cutting edge)
For Debian-based system, simply do
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install unifi-rapid
How to play safe?
UniFi stores everything under <UNIFI_BASE>/data/ . Keeping a copy will get your base covered. You can even install the new version, stop it, copy the data/ over it, and restart the controller.
How to downgrade?
The DB schema is drastically different and downgrade is not possible. Make sure you have a backup of prior version. After downgrading the controller, you can downgrade the AP firmware.
- UAP-AC - Rogue AP detection will only search for rogue AP on first power up. It will not continuously update rogue AP list during runtime.
- UAP-AC - SNMPv1 not yet supported. Currently in development.
- Zero Handoff not supported on UAP-AC yet. Currently in development.
- Wireless Uplink not supported on UAP-AC yet. Will be release as an alpha and by invitation only in the next few weeks.
- UniFi Controller for Mac
- UniFi Controller for Windows
- UniFi.unix.zip (UniFi Zipped Package is also provide for DIYers. See readme.txt for details.)
UniFi Controller APT howto
- edit /etc/apt/sources.list
## Ubuntu deb http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/distros/deb/ub
untu ubuntu ubiquiti # if you're using quantal (12.04) or after, you don't need this line deb http://downloads-distro.mongodb.org/repo/ubuntu-up start dist 10gen ## Debian Wheezy (7.0) deb http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/distros/deb/de bian debian ubiquiti ## Debian Squeeze (6.0) deb http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/distros/deb/de bian debian ubiquiti deb http://downloads-distro.mongodb.org/repo/debian-sy svinit dist 10gen ## Debian Lenny (5.0): deb http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/distros/deb/le nny lenny ubiquiti deb http://downloads-distro.mongodb.org/repo/debian-sy svinit dist 10gen
- add GPG Key
# for Ubiquiti sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv C0A52C50 # for mongo-10gen sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 7F0CEB10 # or over HTTP by using hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80
- update, install, and upgrade
# retrieve the latest package information apt-get update # install/upgrade unifi package # there are 3 packages in the same repository # . unifi (the most stable) # . unifi-rapid (soaked beta/rc/stable) # . unifi-beta (the cutting edge) # you can install / switch between them apt-get install unifi-rapid
A shell library, unifi_sh_api is provided with the release. here's a sample script to authorize a guest for 30 minutes
#!/bin/sh ## define required variables username=admin password=admin baseurl=https://localhost:8443 site=default ## include the API library . unifi_sh_api unifi_login # authorize a client for 30 minutes, limit down/up speed to 2048/1024kbps, quota is 500MB unifi_authorize_guest "e8:17:22:10:5d:4d" 30 down=2048 up=1024 bytes=500 # generate 10 voucher(s) valid for 60 minutes, limit down/up speed to 2048/1024kbps, quota is 500MB unifi_create_voucher 60 10 down=2048 up=1024 bytes=500 # this returns you a token that you can call by using unifi_get_vouchers() unifi_logout
- AP->Performance view is experimental. Currently it shows what the radio is doing by red (packets not sent because of likely interference) / yellow (packets retried) / green (packets sent)
- voucher.css and voucher.html, at data/sites/SITE_NAME/portal/bundle/, is where you can fully customize your voucher.
- If you have existing customized guest portal, make sure to change form="/guest/login" to form="login" - let the relative path take care of per-site URL
- For API access, you pretty much need to insert /s/SITENAME into the URL. (after login with an admin in for site)