Frequent Visitor
aardigicom
Kudos: 1

Re: Firmware 1.2 cameras stop responding

I have had the same issues.  Setup a new NVR and updated the firmware on 3 domes over a couple of days.  They worked flawlessly and extremely smooth feeding a stream over the Internet to my NVR here.  Each camera stayed online and connected for 10 days after setting them up.  Then they all went offline...bing.bing.bing.  When they went offline, as was mentioned in previous posts the could not be discovered, pinged, connected to by http/s or SSH.  The also were overwhelming the Internet connection with traffic.  Didn't have a way to analyze the traffic, just could tell it was choking it down.  Now I get to drive 30 miles to pull them out reset them and get them back online, maybe for another 10 days?

Veteran Member
LLigetfa
Kudos: 2740
Solutions: 190

There is an obvious issue for which the root cause may vary but the end result is the same or similar.  The firmware probably crashes and corrupts the NVRAM requiring a reset and re-flash.

So why does it only happen to a few and not to everyone? Can the end result be caused solely by the airVision software or does there need to be some other hardware factors such as heat, power fluctuation, faulty hardware, etc.?

Throuout the entire alpha/beta testing process, I have not lost a single camera whereas some folk lost dozens of them, mostly the Dome.  The Dome has been identified as being particularly vulnerable and the additional CPU load brought about by moving the analytics to the cam.

rortega
Kudos: 88
Solutions: 29

I think a lot of it has to do with luck. I have rma'd 2 domes, and have one that I still have to reset every few days to get a connection and get it recording, and I have one that has been flawless from the start. I think it really is a manufacturing issue seeing as how all 4 domes I had were on the same network, the network hasn't changed, yet they were all in 3 different stages treated with the same actions.

Veteran Member
LLigetfa

I still cannot help but think there may be other contributing factors.  Sure, some could be related to a particular production run that had marginal components but some too, could be the environment they are in or questionable cabling.  I do think that some early beta code worked them too hard resulting in a rash of failures.

If you have failed cams that you can RMA and if you think the replacements would be any better, then RMA is certainly one option.  If however you cannot RMA, your option may be to improve the environment they are in, verify the cabling, and/or reduce the CPU load by lowering some settings.

Maybe Ubiquiti will do some further tweaks to reduce CPU load on them, maybe not.  Another option is to use other software instead of airVision.  Most of my former airCams are now on Milestone.  I have only 4 cams on my test kit now.

rortega

[ Edited ]

Yeah true, a lot of people get these and expect to run the most demanding options on a decent to crappy network and then wonder why in 4 days they're having issues. Others don't test all components on the bench (yes including cabling people,) before installing everything.

So we'll go with 1/3 luck, 1/3 production, and 1/3 common sense! That or 1/3 production and 2/3 common sense....that seems better :manvery-happy:

rortega

And speaking of......I just had a third one die on me :mansad: it won't even respond on lan connection to my laptop! Now power lights, no lan lights, won't reset!

taskmaster
Kudos: 13

check your cables.

lol

Airview - NVR version: 2.1.3
Java v.7, flash v.11.3
CPU: i7 3770
Ram: 8Gb
HD: 6Tb raid5 + SSD caching.
rortega

jaja!! Sadly I've kind of been waiting for this one to die. You know the cam that starts out good and slowly gets worse and worse, and all you can do is petty attempts to prolong it's life, that's what this was. Though I'm gonna try some cpr and if that doesn't work....difibrillator time!! (not sure what the pun is yet but I'll think of it!)

taskmaster

flash it back.

i think i'm going to disable motion capture to check if it is an overloading problem but i don't think it's about that.

Java v.7, flash v.11.3
rortega

[ Edited ]

Yeah I would, but unfortunately no ping, ssh, or tftp.......it's dead. Trust me I don't post for help until I've tried everything, and unfortunately like at a hospital, there seems to be 4 main cures for any problem.

I don't know how many times I've been told to reflash, tftp, reset, or purge and re-install. I also don't know how many times I've told others to do that.....whoops:leaving:

AJ-Illinois
Kudos: 60
Solutions: 2

Next person to tell me its wiring Im going to use the wiring to do a hanging..

$1000 FLUTE Meter says cabling is fine. EVEN checked voltage of UBNT power supply.

Shocking could it be a UBNT hardware issue? maybe software..?  NA lets keep saying its a cable issue.. HELL Its Aliens!

taskmaster

when i flashed them i had to try many times because after the reset they didn't come online fast. it need 60 seconds or more to see them ping back again.

anyway is not a normal behaviour.

Java v.7, flash v.11.3
Veteran Member
LLigetfa

taskmaster wrote:

check your cables.

lol

You wouldn't believe how many bad cabling jobs I've seen and I have tens of thousands of dollars in Fluke testers that don't always vet them out.  Case in point is a simple over-crimp.  The fluke tools have much better quality connectors than the crappy ones you find in the field and so won't vet out such a simple oversight.  Sometimes a good pair of eyes and a magnifier can do more than a $1000 Fluke tool.

I'm not saying the airCam hardware is without fault, only that there could be other factors as well.

taskmaster

wondering if my windows BSOD were caused by a bad crimp

Java v.7, flash v.11.3
BadSector
Kudos: 228
Solutions: 3

[ Edited ]

Ive owned most of these cameras since almost day 1 & they have been through almost every firmware and AV software revision since, my newest camera (6 months old maybe) is the one that locks up requiring a reset....

It wasnt until the latest firmware and software release that I had this issue. Everything operated flawlessly (as flawless as a Ubiquiti aircam setup can) prior.

All cabling is Cat 6A, I can reproduce the lockup on totally different cables, on totally different switch ports.

I dont even have to use the reset button to get it back online, sometimes just unplugging the cable for several minutes and plugging it back in is enough to get the discovery tool detecting it again...

When the camera in question comes back online it works fine and may stay online for a day or three until it does the same thing again.

Not sure what to make of it...

TheWretched
Kudos: 62

[ Edited ]

I have 4 cams frozen out of 21 this morning myself, every couple days another one is dropping off at this point.  I didn't have problems in the beta either, this began with firmware 1.2 for me.

Chances are I will be able to recover them all via tftp.  But I sincerly doubt that an installation that had been running on AV1 for over a year spontaneously developed magical ethernet problems that somehow brick hardware at precisely the time firmware 1.2 came out and many other people started having magical ethernet problems that brick hardware right at the same time...

This firmware / software package is nothing short of a disaster at this point, in my opinion.

taskmaster

are you contacting the support? support@ubnt.com
send them the support file please and link the forum topic pls.

Java v.7, flash v.11.3
BadSector
Kudos: 228

[ Edited ]

There really needs to be some better testing across multiple platforms before they roll out these firmware/software updates.

At least on Win 7 X64 & Ubuntu...

It is rediculous that the Beta AV2 Firmware/Software package worked so well & now this... Dropping Locking up cameras & motion record stops responding until a manual reset of all analytical zones.

You can not tell me that this could not have been emulated small scale & found before pushing these updates out into the wild. They are fixing one minor thing only to break 3 major things at this point.

What is going on guys?

You dont push this kind of stuff out full scale over an auto updating platform with out being sure its good to go on a smaller scale; that is an extremely basic principal of administration.

AV2 needs to go back to being strictly Beta IMO.

You cant have these problems in the wild with security cameras and "public" updates!

What was the last firmware revision that worked well geared for AV2?

I think it is time to roll back.

<3 You guys at Ubiquiti but **bleep**... lol

I see whats really going on here... Oh hey you need new aircam compatible ethernet cable runs to all your cams and a new switch... Well it just so happens we sell tough cable & tough switches... HaHaha I kid. :manwink:

TheWretched
Kudos: 62

I just sent a very detailed message with the support file to the email address, for whatever good that may do.  Since I participated in the beta and reported the evostream errors repeatedly, sent in support files to a black hole with no answer back, I don't really expect a lot to happen.  But we'll see.

I'm at the point where I am downloading the evaluation version of Milestone to be honest.  I don't like the idea of having to run a windows box to use it but I'm pretty much reaching the end of my patience for playing with airvision.  I've been mucking with this stuff for over a year now and even built an overpowered rack mount that ran AV1 for the better part of the year, so I think I've given UBNT more than their fair shake to get their act together. 

rortega

They do get tested, somehow, someway. You can see in the forums the guys from ubnt will say "I didn't get those errors on my set up," or something similar showing that they have them in use. Also when they did their webinar you could see they constantly use AV in their own facilities.

That being said I know all the techs haven't tested every platform themselves, because often they'll tell you they haven't. And as far as them testing in the field outside the ubnt facility, I doubt that's happening. Also they used to say stuff like "I'll try that on my set up," and the like a lot more, I haven't really heard anything lately that hints they're still testing or using it themselves. But I know for sure they do get tested, somehow, someway.

As for the software issues.....mine has finally become stable! Of course in the process (even in the last week) I've had to RMA some domes on fw1.2 but all other cams are ok.