Emerging Member
Tweekzz11
Kudos: 4
Accepted Solution

Wireless cameras - Caravan Park

Hello all,

I am in need of some information and suggestions as to setting up wireless cameras in a Caravan Park.

The office which is located on the left of the park map in red labelled reception has a wireless router installed which is running of a satelite. We have had trouble getting reception in the past and we are unable to upgrade to ADSL in our area at this time and in the future.

Am I able to send a wifi signal to the Amenities block which is located roughly 100metres away to provide wireless service to around 5 - 10 wireless cameras?

I am sure that I can do this providing I install an outdoor Unifi AP Outdoor device, along with an Airvision NVR and some cables running to the cameras?

Can someone plese help me on this?

Hope I have provided enough information to get started :manhappy:

Kind regards,

Mathew

park map.jpg
Veteran Member
LLigetfa
Kudos: 3130
Solutions: 245

Re: Wireless cameras - Caravan Park

Tweekzz11 wrote:

Am I able to send a wifi signal to the Amenities block which is located roughly 100metres away to provide wireless service to around 5 - 10 wireless cameras?

Ubiquiti does not make wireless cameras, only wired ones.

Of course you can build a wireless network to provide wires at the camera locations but that is another topic best suited to a wireless forum.

SuperUser
Dave-D
Kudos: 4044
Solutions: 489

I believe you're simply asking how you can extend your
network from one building to another. And you seem to
plan to use wired cameras.

Use a pair of NanoStation Loco M5 radios--one set to
AP-WDS, the other to station-WDS mode (one at each
location of course). This will act just like a long CAT5
network cable to extend your LAN. Don't use UniFi here.

You can plug any devices you want into either end--
including of course your wired cameras. You can plug
the cameras and the NVR in at either location. Of course
you'll need a simple network switch to combine cameras.

Yes: this isn't specifically about cameras, but it is the
'glue' that will allow you to use AirVision cameras.  Dave

No disclaimer. Nothing to sell. I need to fix that.
Emerging Member
Tweekzz11

Thanks for the reply guys. In regards to the nano station - is the product that you are reffering to like the Unifi AP outdoor station? Would I require two of these?

SuperUser
Dave-D

Use a pair of NanoStation Loco M5 radios--one set to
AP-WDS, the other to station-WDS mode (one at each
location of course). This will act just like a long CAT5
network cable to extend your LAN. Don't use UniFi here.  Dave

Emerging Member
Tweekzz11

Sorry, I understand now.

Thank you very much for your response Dave, much appreciated.

I can only hope now that my signal to my router will be strong enough to cater for the additional load produced by the cameras...

:manhappy:

Mat

Emerging Member
Tweekzz11

In this situation where I am feeding the cameras with wifi via the NanoStation LocoM5, I would therefore need a Toughswitch Pro in order to feed my cameras and to gain the data from the cameras to deploy for viewing is this correct?

Thanks again guys...

SuperUser
Dave-D

Because the NanoStation Loco has only one network
port, you'll need a switch to connect more than one
device of any kind.  Dave

SuperUser
ClaudeSS
Kudos: 1646
Solutions: 211

If you use the nanostation M5 (not loco) with the secondary port, you can get two cameras connected.  Otherwise, either use a switch with a bunch of POE's, or a toughswitch with enough ports for the cameras you need.  The toughswitch makes for a cleaner, less tangled solution.

You can also put additional nano M5's at other locations around the park with additional cameras at each location.

And you can, (and should) put some kind of 2.4 wireless access point at the remote location with the M5.  That access point will connect back to the router via the 5.8 nano's and give you much better 2.4 coverage there. 

Emerging Member
Tweekzz11

Hello ClaudeSS,

Thanks heaps for the reply and the advice you have given. Just claryifying with you that the Loco means either having one ethernet port on the nano, whereas without the loco there are two ethernet cables? This might seem like a silly question.

Also, I am going to be using the nanos on a 5.8GHz band as this will help with camera productivity etc... ?

The Toughswitch is a great piece of equipment and I am going to isntal and 8 port in the ammenities block.

Thanks again!

SuperUser
ClaudeSS
Kudos: 1646
Solutions: 211

Most ubiquiti devices have one port, the NSM5 has two ethernet ports and costs about $20 more and is taller then the loco.  Just make sure it mentions secondary port.   With the NSM5 you can connect a camera directly to the nano using poe power from the nano.  With the loco and also NSM5 you can connect a camera or switch to the LAN port on the POE to connect one or more cameras.

Using the 5.8 gives you better throughput and avoids interference with the congested 2.4 band.  You also have two dedicated nano's pointing at each other for the link.   You could instead use 2.4 nano's succesfully depending on how many cameras you have.  Unless you have trees in the path, 5.8 will give you better speeds.

EricE
Kudos: 120
Solutions: 2

ClaudeSS wrote:

If you use the nanostation M5 (not loco) with the secondary port, you can get two cameras connected.  Otherwise, either use a switch with a bunch of POE's, or a toughswitch with enough ports for the cameras you need.  The toughswitch makes for a cleaner, less tangled solution.

To spell it out for lurkers who may be reading this thread and not aware, the tough switch supplies power to the cameras as well as being a network switch.  Hence the comment aobut a cleaner, less tangled solution.  If you have 7 cameras, it's a massivly cleaner and dramatically less tangled solution.

I just want to go out of my way to really emphasize that the little bit of extra money for the tough switch is REALLY worth it once you get beyond two or three cameras.  I can't recommend them enough. Same for Unifi and other gear that uses the higher voltage POE.  I just wish there were higher density tough switches...

Veteran Member
LLigetfa
Kudos: 3130
Solutions: 245

My airCams are so spread around that they terminate in many different wiring closets so a higher port density ToughSwitch is not a concern.  I would rather just stick with the POE bricks and my HP switches that are all centrally managed with PCM+.  If remote power cycling the airCams were a concern I might reconsider but I've not had to power cycle any of them.