Occasional Visitor
keilmillerjr

Unifi AP Pro : Adoption failed

[ Edited ]

Hello! I just bought (1) UniFi AP Pro to create a home network. I will possibly add more devices later.

I currently have the device set up as such:

• Ethernet port on cable modem to lan port on PoE adapter
  • PoE port on PoE adapter to main port on UniFi AP Pro
  • Secondary port on UniFi AP Pro to ethernet port on iMac

I went through the setup process. I currently upgraded to the latest 2.3.9 controller software and am still recieving an "adoption failed" on the the single UniFi AP Pro. The color of the UniFi AP Pro ring is white. I reset it and once restarted, it turns white and I still have the same issue. I have restarted my modem as well. I have tried multiple combinations of restarting things. I restarted my iMac too. I have tried re-adopting with no success. When I adopt, I have used "ubnt" as the username and password as well as my controller credentials.

Please help me out if anyone can. I'm a little annoyed that I bought an expensive router and I can't even get it working. My Apple Airports products that I usually have "just work".

Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Matt
Kudos: 2706
Solutions: 76
Contributions: 39

Re: Unifi AP Pro : Adoption failed

Hi,

The UniFi APs are primarily layer 2 devices, and don't perform routing or handle DHCP services as a typical SOHO router would.

Does your cable modem offer these routing capabilities (perform NAT, and use DHCP to assign you private IP addresses)?

Occasional Visitor
keilmillerjr

I'm not sure. It's a motorola surfboard model sb6180. I don't really understand much of what you said, so I hope posting what I have helps.

Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Matt
Kudos: 2706
Solutions: 76
Contributions: 39

keilmillerjr wrote:

I'm not sure. It's a motorola surfboard model sb6180. I don't really understand much of what you said, so I hope posting what I have helps.

I think the UniFi AP Pro may not be exactly what you're looking for. 

You'll more than likely still need a router for your network. The UniFi AP is an "Access Point" and doesn't provide the routing capabilities. 

These APs are meant for enterprise type deployments -- hotels, offices, etc where many APs will be used for WiFi coverage.

Hope that helps...

Emerging Member
thewoodchuck
Kudos: 27
Solutions: 2

Also, if he has the UAP plugged straight into a cable modem with no gateway (which is what the sb6180 surfboards usually are), the cable companies usually only allow one IP to be parsed out. He's not actually ON the network with the UAP yet, and thus cannot adopt it.

Definately need a router, first.

Occasional Visitor
keilmillerjr

Thanks for clarifying this.

Sent from my iPhone