SWY

Unifi AP often drops off, needs to be rebooted

Hi all,

I have 3 UniFi AP-LR in my organization, and commonly have an issue with one of them dropping off the network. It will happen that in the management webpage it will be red, and listed as disconnected, but clients see a full strength wifi signal from it. They can typically connect, but usually will fail to get out to the internet.

A power cycle of the unit will bring it back to expected behavior, for anywhere from a day to a month, until we find it happening again. Software version is 2.2.1049, and I've seen it on earlier releases.

Is this an issue that I should be seeing an RMA for? What else would be useful data to help understand why this happens?
wozzzzz
Kudos: 74
Solutions: 1

Re: Unifi AP often drops off, needs to be rebooted

upgrade controller to 2.3.8
Just finished 2 customization scripts for UniFi, been waiting 2 years for UBNT to do it and gave up and did both myself with 24 hours each, just proves how easy it was.
Easy UniFi Easy Voucher Creator V1.0 http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi/Just-wrote-my-second-script-Easy-UniFi-Voucher-Creator/m-p/900210#U900210
Slow down Excessive Downloaders http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi/Created-my-first-unifi-script-automatically-slow-people-down-if/m-p/895964#U895964
hdnhdn
Kudos: 18

not upgrade problem. its a problem with cable and switch. samp problem long time ago. i have upgrade the hp sitch firmware then the problem wars gone.
vincentchua

So anyone any idea how to do a schdule reboot of the Ubiqi?
I just want the APs to do autoreboot every midnight.
Emerging Member
Taigar
Kudos: 13

Why do you want to reboot?
Take a look at Unifi Lab: http://wiki.ubnt.com/UniFi_Lab
vincentchua

Thanks!
But thats very command based...8-)
Hope there is a UI type but I will try.

I need to schedule reboot in order to make sure all my APs are working properly.
Sometimes, one or 2 will just refuse to join clients and a simple reboot will solve the issue.
So I presume if I scheduled reboot every 2 days midnight, i will not face this complain from users.
Do you think so?
wozzzzz

get a light timer.
Just finished 2 customization scripts for UniFi, been waiting 2 years for UBNT to do it and gave up and did both myself with 24 hours each, just proves how easy it was.
Easy UniFi Easy Voucher Creator V1.0 http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi/Just-wrote-my-second-script-Easy-UniFi-Voucher-Creator/m-p/900210#U900210
Slow down Excessive Downloaders http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi/Created-my-first-unifi-script-automatically-slow-people-down-if/m-p/895964#U895964
SWY

Switch firmware? Seems odd to me- have 2 more on the LAN, it's just ONE that's a problem. We'll be able to test that theory in the near future: switch upgrade is coming soon.

I did check if there was a later release after that post, and updated yesterday evening.

If the ubiquiti products require a light timer to force a power cycle or a team of curl and python scripts to keep them running properly, I'm done with them.
vincentchua

This is what was suggested last time when I am using those Netgear APs.
I thought Unifi APs should have a simple reboot function builtin to their UI interface.
This will really helps a lot of newbie like me.
wozzzzz

I did check if there was a later release after that post, and updated yesterday evening.

you wont need to reboot often now, been nearly 2 weeks now since my last reboot, 2.3.8 solved that almost daily need reboot thing for me.
callmestu

I'm having the same issue here. The UAP Outdoor unit just "wanders off into the woods" as some people say.

A simple power cycle or reboot from the controller will fix the issue. I agree that the frequency is about 48 hours, but sometimes it is only 24 hours before a reboot is needed.

Details:
Model
UniFi AP-Outdoor
Version
Server Information
Version 2.3.8

I find it a barrier to getting additional AP's, if the first one we bought for testing does not work.
vincentchua

it is just a convenience to have it out on the UI.
Not meaning the firmware is stable or not, sometimes we just need it n need it fast to just do a press of the button remotely.
This will truely up one step above other APs.
SWY

Not inspiring to see that 2.3.8 is giving you problems, callmestu. It's not out of line to expect an uptime limited by power availability and the admin's choice to restart/update the device. They may have a better price point than other products on the market, but if it's normal to require this frequency of maintenance, they're not a value. If it's not reliable, it's not an option.
SWY

Yeah, the 2.3.8 upgrade is not a solution. Again this morning, it's broadcasting a network, assigning proper IP and DNS, but failing to send traffic to the WAN. Power cycle it, and it works.

Not acceptable. I need gear that doesn't require babysitting.
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-David
Kudos: 164
Solutions: 24
Contributions: 9

Hi SWY,
Would it be possible to provide us remote accessing your deployment, especially when an AP is in such a non-servicing state? Please email to me (djea@ubnt.com) if that is okay.
Thank you,
David
callmestu

Yeah, the 2.3.8 upgrade is not a solution. Again this morning, it's broadcasting a network, assigning proper IP and DNS, but failing to send traffic to the WAN. Power cycle it, and it works.

Not acceptable. I need gear that doesn't require babysitting.

I think you are right that the AP is actually passing traffic on the wifi interface - from one client to another, but not sending it to the WAN. This example is using two IP cams and an Android phone - phone can see the IP cams and view the video feeds, but other devices can't see the cams, nor can the Android get to the internet.

UniFi controller no longer sees that the AP has lost communication when this happens, as of the 2.3.8 release. The controller thinks all is well. But, following a reboot full functionality returns.
vincentchua

So we really need a reboot function or a schedule reboot function in the main UI.
SWY

Hi SWY,

Would it be possible to provide us remote accessing your deployment, especially when an AP is in such a non-servicing state? Please email to me (djea@ubnt.com) if that is okay.

Thank you,
David

Email sent, David. I'm willing to explore that, but can think of a few technical hurdles we'll face.
bazagee

I have 6 AP's 2 on each floor hooked into switches on each floor. I noticed that one AP on each floor became 'disconnected'. For how long I don't know as I only just setup notification messages. I just upgraded to 2.3.8 and although it took awhile it now seems that all AP's have been re-adpoted.

I didn't have any clients complain about connecting to or getting external data from the net - so can only assume my issue was one with communication between the controller and APs? I'll watch this thread with interest. Hopefully SWY will report back once Ubnt support helps out.
SWY

Still waiting on support- email sent as I said, spam filters checked for lost message, nothing. I wish I could have the ubiquiti love this guy has, but with this kind of support experience, I can't.

David from Ubiquiti, can you confirm or deny if you received email from me?