gus6464

Unifi AP will not connect via wireless uplink

I just got 2 UAP and want to connect one via wireless uplink and followed the video. On the video it states to disconnect the UAP that will be up via wireless from router and wait for it to show disconnected but it will just show isolated forever. When it is isolated I choose my wired UAP in the wireless uplink option and the 2 UAP act like they are connected but the wireless one never changes from isolated status. I have both units set to HT20 and same channel. At this point I don't know what else to do. Thanks for the help.
Established Member
bluestu
Kudos: 101
Solutions: 1

Re: Unifi AP will not connect via wireless uplink

Hi Gus
What version of Unifi are you using and what signal strength is displayed when you see the wired AP as an available uplink?
Thanks
s
gus6464

Hi Gus

What version of Unifi are you using and what signal strength is displayed when you see the wired AP as an available uplink?

Thanks

s

Hello,

I am using the latest ver 2.3.9 of Unifi and when I see the wired AP in the avail uplink it is showing a signal strength of 90%. I left the unit unplugged from network last to see if it would eventually connect via wireless uplink but this morning but it is still showing as isolated.

Thanks
gus6464

Does anyone have any ideas? I have had the unit for a week and it refuses to connect via wireless uplink.
wratterus
Kudos: 112
Solutions: 18

Reset both the units to defaults and try again.
Frequent Visitor
Valentin
Kudos: 1

Hi

I am in a very similar situation trying to work out if wireless uplink of Outdoor APs works.

So far we had immediate success with the indoor UAP long range, works as described, wireless uplink options show up and can select. But for Outdoor model and after going through 10 of them  - no success in uplinking any outdoor UAPs (normal, NOT PRO) to any other AP. The uplink options simply won´t show up whereas they show up fine on the indoor APs.  A bit frustrating. What are we doing wrong ?

On the other hand working with the Rocket M2 with an omnidirectional antenna and the Nanostation Loco M2 to bridge the bigger distances in the resort with Airmax seens to work just fine and so far the Nanostations do what they should available radios show up immediately and you can look on.

We have lots of cabling in the resort to most parts problems with cables (tropical island) so we try a setup light on wires and easy to centrally manage. 

A nice setup would be if we could use the Nanostation M2 to get the signal from the Rocket Antenna from the central Rooftoop to a Palmtree say 250m (750ft) away and feed the signal straight into an UAP outdoor to cover a distant section and power the whole thing with just one Power ower Ethernet cable rather than running it from the Nanostation Loco M2 down to a router and up to the palmtree again for the UAP outdoor. Haven´t figured that out yet.  Any input on this situation?  

Let us know if wireless uplinks of outdoor AP´s work and maybe someone has figured out the "Palmtree airmax / UAP outdoor combo" with one wire.

Thank you

Valentin

Capture.PNG
tcuser
Kudos: 25
Solutions: 2

HI

These are the steps I took to do my wireless uplink.

1.  Plug in both units to router/switch and adopt on controller. 

2.  Once both appear on controller as connected and working, I disconnect the LAN cable from the unit that will be wireless.

3.  Just as the video says you have to wait a long while before the unit shows as Disconnected.

4.  When it shows disconnected then you can select the wired Ap you want it to pull the signal from.

I guess the important thing here is that both units are set up, show as connected and working on the controller before you start trying to create that uplink.

Those were the steps I took hope it helps you figure if you forgot to do something along the way that might be causing your issues.

Frequent Visitor
Valentin

Thank you very much tcuser for your prompt reply

This steps are precisely what we do and the same steps that lead to wireless
uplink with the UAP long range every time, but not with the Outdoor Units.
I read somewhere is the same electronics in a different package, so it?s a
bit puzzling.

There is just no selection of wired UAP?s showing up on the Outdoor UAP?s
after the same procedure of adopted, missing heartbeat, disconnected.

Even if the set to the same channel (we tried 4,10 and automatic). We tried
with a number of Outdoor Units to no avail. Should the Outdoor UAPs connect
wirelessly or is it just the indoor Units that do?

Maybe someone has gone through the same ?

Thank you very much

Valentin
TechSolX
Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

Same...Pico Station re-flashed to UniFi v2.3.9.1693. UniFi controller is now 2.4.3v, but have tried all the way back to 2.2.X with no luck., ssh, Static IP, Dynamic IP, etc, at least it's adopted now as that use to be a problem as well...

The only thing that works is to drive 2 hrs to the site, climb the pole, unhook the unit, move it to the L2 Switch, apply power, reset unit, re-adopt to system (first changing controller back to default login/pw), unhook from L2, re-attach via wireless, re-adopt, works fine for a few days or until remote client has power surge, then...Isolated AP and I have no luck with ssh access or connecting via UniFi, so I drive 2 hrs to the site....etc.

My indoor AP's at the same site work fine, linked back with LOCO M2's as are the other outdoor AP's (no it's not interference) but it's these darn wireless uplink outdoor AP's that will drive me out of business. For the cost of fuel I am going to add another LOCO M2 to link back as I suspect that the wireless adoption of non-indoor units just doesn't work.

Clearly the system can see them, I can change the wireless uplink stations, it knows it's isolated, it can see the other hardwired stations, so it's talking to the controller but I can't get it to adopt. I like UBNT stuff, I just wish it would work, maybe it's me...send help.

Pico.jpg
Frequent Visitor
Koen

Same here with UAP Pro. Upgraded to 3.1.2.2175 and no wireless uplinks available, allthough the functionality is announced in the release notes for version 3.

It's the first and only disappointment I have with Unifi - up to now it works like a charm for 7 months on 3 units.Now expanding to 9 units, of wich one should have a wireless uplink.

TechSolX

[ Edited ]

Agreed

I understand that a wireless link must be adopted via direct connect to L2 before it can uplink to the Unifi system via wireless, the frustrating part for me is that it seems the that NV RAM will not hold the configuration and any power surge or spike wipes it out. I am off tomorrow to add another LOCO M2 to this system to "directly connect" the Pico Station to the system.

I will be very hesitant to add wireless AP's with Ubiquiti hardware for all future installs.

Maybe someone with indoor units can chime in on success or failure with wireless uplinks. Thanks.

sorenstoutner
Kudos: 4

Version 3 of the software can do wireless uplink for UAP-Pro, but it uses the 5 GHz band to do it.  This provides better bandwidth on the backhaul, but it means that the access point has to be fairly close to the wireless uplink.  As far as I know there is currently no way to override this setting and use the 2.4 GHz band for wireless uplink on the UAP-Pro.

sorenstoutner

Re: Indoor Units

[ Edited ]

TechSolX wrote:

Agreed

I understand that a wireless link must be adopted via direct connect to L2 before it can uplink to the Unifi system via wireless, the frustrating part for me is that it seems the that NV RAM will not hold the configuration and any power surge or spike wipes it out. I am off tomorrow to add another LOCO M2 to this system to "directly connect" the Pico Station to the system.

I will be very hesitant to add wireless AP's with Ubiquiti hardware for all future installs.

Maybe someone with indoor units can chime in on success or failure with wireless uplinks. Thanks.

Wireless uplink works well for my indoor UAP-LR wireless units on version 2 of the software.  I have had problems with version 3.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi/clients-complain-about-dropping-from-connecting-to-unifi-ap-lr/m...

Have you tried using a battery backup with AVR to protect your access point?  I have had good experiences with the higher end CyberPower models.

http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP850PFCLCD-Sinewave-Compatible-Mini-Tower/dp/B00429N18S/ref=sr_1_2...

Also, are you using grounded cabling?

http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/toughcable/TOUGHCable_Datasheet.pdf

Your problem seems to be different than that of the original poster.  He was not able to get them to connect at all.  Your connect, but they lose configuration when there are power problems.

sorenstoutner

gus6464 wrote:
I just got 2 UAP and want to connect one via wireless uplink and followed the video. On the video it states to disconnect the UAP that will be up via wireless from router and wait for it to show disconnected but it will just show isolated forever. When it is isolated I choose my wired UAP in the wireless uplink option and the 2 UAP act like they are connected but the wireless one never changes from isolated status. I have both units set to HT20 and same channel. At this point I don't know what else to do. Thanks for the help.

What units do you have?  I have had a lot of success with wireless uplink, but I have always used identical units.  With version 2 of the software, you cannot do wireless uplink with UAP-Pro.  With beta version 3 you can, but it must be UAP-Pro to UAP-Pro because it used the 5 GHz band for the uplink.  I run a coule of wireless uplinks with UAP-LR on version 2 that work well.  I have not tried the original UAP nor the UAP-Outdoor.  It is possible that you can't connect a UAP-Outdoor on a wireless uplink to an indoor model.  I don't know why that would be, but it would seem to match the symptoms described by several posters in this thread.  Is anyone having problems connecting identical equipment by wireless uplink?

Frequent Visitor
Koen

The hint about the distance did it. We put the access point next to the one it should connect to and after 2 hours we had a match!

TechSolX

Re: Indoor Units

[ Edited ]

Q: Have you tried using a battery backup with AVR to protect your access point?  I have had good experiences with the higher end CyberPower models.

A: No I don't use UPS (Battery Backup) with the AP's only the onsite controller.

Q: Also, are you using grounded cabling?

A: Yes Ubiquiti Tough Cable.

bcdouglas
Kudos: 277
Solutions: 7

[ Edited ]

I know your issue, but I can *only* tell you in person.   I guess you'll just have to fly me out. ;-) ...sorry, no advice, just looks great!

TechSolX

I was on site yesterday.  I added the LOCO M2 to uplink the Pico to the L2 switch, it was up and online in 3 min updating to 2.4.3 to match the rest of the system.  

I was wrong it was not the NV ram as the configuration was still in the Pico when I tried to ssh to it via direct connection to the LAN port. It just would not connect via wireless uplink after the power loss, it was offline for 15 days.

I didn't dump the log file as it was "warantee work" and that time only costs me money, should have but didn't.  I did reset the unit to ensure that I was starting from a know condition and readopeted it into the system a second time.

Wireless uplink is a nice feature but I couldn't make it work realiablily enough for a remote location on the Pico, lesson learned.

Anyway it's online now but via LOCO M2 uplink.  Its working and I suspect I won't have any more trouble with it.

sorenstoutner

Koen wrote:

The hint about the distance did it. We put the access point next to the one it should connect to and after 2 hours we had a match!

Wow!  It should only take a few minutes for them to connect.  I don't have any idea why it took two hours, but I'm glad it worked for you.

Longtime Visitor
fastest963

[ Edited ]

For anyone else looking into this problem, you need to upgrade to v3 (I'm using 3.1.4) if you want to uplink with a PRO. I'm trying to uplink to the PRO with an Outdoor AP. After waiting 20 minutes, the PRO finally showed up as an available uplink for the outdoor. I set both devices to the same channel and used HT-20. After hitting "select" next to the right uplink, the Outdoor then went through a series of provisioning -> isolated -> provisioning -> isolated -> connected (wireless). That took another 5-10 minutes.

I also unplugged the Ourdoor to make sure the settings "stuck" and it successfully reconnected (after a minute) upon being plugged back in.