joweaver88

Unifi APs going into isolated mode

I have two unifi access points in our office. Our entire office network is down right now because these access points have stopped working (they go into isolated mode). Up until today they have been working just fine for almost 2 months with no issues.

I just set up a windows domain on our server which is also now our DNS server, and also where the Unifi management software is installed. Up until today we were using a workgroup... that is what has changed so I am inclined to believe it is related to that.

DNS appears to be working properly though, as we have no issues when hardwired... so here is what we have done

1. Disabled the firewall on our router
2. Disabled windows firewall on the server
3. "forgot" access points
4. reset access points to factory defaults
5. uninstalled unifi controller software v 2.3.6
6. installed unifi controller software v 2.4.4
7. adopted the two access points
8. updated access points to v 2.4.4

- Access points came up and worked fine for about 5 minutes and then went into isolated mode.

9. reset access points to factory defaults
10. re-adopted the access points

- Access points came up and worked fine for about 5 minutes and then went into isolated mode, same as before.

I have now tried multiple orders of resetting the APs, uninstalling and reinstalling the controller software, re-adopting the APs... nothing works, after 5 min they always go right back to isolated mode.

What did I do wrong!?! and more importantly, how do I fix it... my job and livelihood literally depend on it because right now I have an office full of angry people.

Network/equipment:

Comcast Business Class gateway (in passthrough mode)

Zyxel Zywall USG100

Trendnet 24 port gigabit unmanaged switch

Hardwired computers (including our server) + the two Unifi APs

Server setup:

Windows Server 2008 R2 which is our...

DNS server with forward and reverse lookup zones configured (outbound traffic goes to open dns)

Domain Controller

Unifi Controller (v 2.4.4)

joweaver88

Re: Unifi APs going into isolated mode

Forgot to mention this... I have tried both DHCP (with a reservation on my router) and static IPs for the access points. Same thing happens.

Emerging Member
arodriga
Kudos: 8
Solutions: 6

I experienced similar problem and solution for me was just simple. AP was going into isolated state because they could not ping their default gateway. It is rather funny cause my dhcp server was't configured to give gateway address to APs.

joweaver88

[ Edited ]

I can ping the gateway just fine with any PC that is directly connected to the switch (just like the APs). I have the APs set to static right now with the default gateway manually listed so they shouldn't be having any issues pinging the gateway. Besides when they show as connected (before they switch into "isolated" mode) I am able to access the internet which I wouldn't be able to do if they couldn't reach the gateway... so I am not sure how that could be the case for me.

joweaver88

It looks like turning off the "uplink connectivity monitor" under the system settings in the unifi controller software did the trick. This was the suggestion by ubiquity support, and it appears to have worked.

Emerging Member
arodriga

Connectivity monitor makes APs ping their gateway or other address to test connectivity. I think cause of problem was that APs culdn't reach that address. You can ssh to AP and check it.

joweaver88

[ Edited ]

Ok yea this still isn't working right... it is now even more complicated.

So now our laptops can connect to the access points and access machines on the LAN and on the internet with no problem. However, for some reason *none of our android phones can resolve domain names when connected to WiFi (or like you said, they simply aren't reaching the gateway)... this is bizarre (our wifi printer is also not working). Logic says that if PCs are connected to the access points and they are working fine, then anything else that connects to the access point should work fine too.

We have rebooted several of these devices and that didn't make a difference.

What could cause this to happen? 

Emerging Member
arodriga

>or like you said, they simply aren't reaching the gateway

APs can't reach gateway, not your android devices. That's why they become isolated.

joweaver88

They arent showing as isolated anymore though... and like I said when I connect to the APs using a computer I can access the LAN and the Internet just fine... please explain that to me because that makes no sense to me.

Emerging Member
arodriga

I think you should check your network settings (do devices get parameters by dhcp, have you acl/port security on switch, vlan settings, etc). I don't think this is unifi problem.

joweaver88

These are questions I have already answered...

There is no firewall currently enabled either on my router or any of the test devices (included the windows firewalls on the clients and the machine running the unifi controller).

I have also stated that I have tried assigning IP's via DHCP (with IP reservations and without) and I have attempted assigning IP addresses to the access points statically including the correct gateway IP address... I have also tried it with or without the DNS server being manually assigned. This made no difference at all.

Whether it is the fault of unifi is irrelevant to me... it is *related to unifi and something is wrong somewhere in my configuration. Maybe thats on my router, on my server, in my DNS settings, or in the unifi controller software... I dont care as long as I find it. I am not looking to point my finger and unifi and tell them their product is broken (I know it is a config problem). All I want is to get my wifi network functioning again.

joweaver88

I just got finished destroying our entire network... tonight is going to be a long night.

I have reset the router to factory defaults and only configured the bare min settings (our static WAN IP). I have reset the wireless access points again. I have uninstalled the unifi controller software. I deleted our entire domain, I deleted the DNS server. I then power cycled all the equipment (including the computers). Turned off all the firewalls again. Reinstalled the unifi controller software, re-adopted the access points. Power cycled the server and access points again.

Guess what? Nothing changed... my PCs can get on the internet and the LAN through wifi just fine, but not a single one of our android devices can. The network is back to where it was before I started this domain project and there should be no reason it is not functioning properly... 

This makes no sense at all.

SuperUser
Josh_SPITwSPOTS
Kudos: 5814
Solutions: 144

All android devices want are:

An IP (static/dhcp doesn't matter)

Gateway IP (reachable)

DNS servers

If you're doing more than that, disable things one by one until it works.

josh reynolds :: www.spitwspots.com
ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
SuperUser
Josh_SPITwSPOTS

Failing that, www.ubnt.com/wiki

joweaver88

Like I said, when I connect to the exact same access point and the exact same network using a windows PC I am able to get an IP address from my DHCP server (my router) and access the gateway and the internet and LAN with absolutely zero issues...

I understand that all android needs are those bits of info, I understand that theoretically these should be absolutely no different than PCs... but something *is different that is causing these devices to fail and not the PCs.

SuperUser
Josh_SPITwSPOTS

[ Edited ]

Ah. I have an idea. Try using static IP and settings on one of the android devices.

joweaver88

I actually deleted the domain already, we are currently back to a regular old workgroup.

I have tried setting the IP address information statically within android and that didn't make a difference. It appears that the android devices are getting IP addresses handed out to them by DHCP because they are all showing 192.168.2.x IP addresses which is the scheme we are using. I dont know how to check the gateway IP they are using though...

It very well could just be http traffic as well, I have only been testing the connections using the browsers.

joweaver88

I just took one of the newer devices and did a factory data reset on it just to make sure there wasn't some bit of old network information that was cached on it causing this issue... but no dice with that either.

Visitor
DarkHawk

I'm curious, did anyone ever find a fix for this problem?