Emerging Member
sram
Kudos: 3
Solutions: 2
Accepted Solution

5GHz AC Channel Query re: HT80 - UK

Tried to make the subject as relevant as possible!

After reading up some more on 802.11ac today I discovered that to use 80MHz channels in the UK (or Europe) I should be looking at spacing ac units four channels apart to ensure that two APs that can see each other don't clash. At the moment I am only evaluating two APs so channel planning is not as big an issue as it will be in a proper network. However, from my list of available channels I have only 36-48 from which to choose. 

If I select 36 with HT80 on one AP and 48 with HT80 on the other, won't each AP be able to see the other via channel 48?

The country code has been correctly set to the UK in the site settings.

Am I misunderstanding something or is there something wrong here?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 19.23.16.png
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-MikeD
Kudos: 499
Solutions: 212
Contributions: 17

Re: 5GHz AC Channel Query re: HT80 - UK

[ Edited ]

Hi,

That is not a bug. The use of DFS channels on UAP-AC is currently not allowed. We are working with the appropriate regulatory domains (FCC, ETSI) to allow the use of DFS channels on the UAP-AC. Once it passes you will be able to use the remainder of band A and B. 

Best regards,
Mike

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

psydafke
Kudos: 59
Solutions: 4

[ Edited ]

UBNT-MikeD wrote:

Hi,

That is not a bug. The use of DFS channels on UAP-AC is currently not allowed. We are working with the appropriate regulatory domains (FCC, ETSI) to allow the use of DFS channels on the UAP-AC. Once it passes you will be able to use the remainder of band A and B. 

Best regards,
Mike

Really look forward to the DFS implementation on the AC units, since that would allow for higher TX-Power...
Any update on this?

SuperUser
Josh_SPITwSPOTS
Kudos: 5334
Solutions: 129

psydafke wrote:

UBNT-MikeD wrote:

Hi,

Best regards,
Mike

Really look forward to the DFS implementation on the AC units, since that would allow for higher TX-Power...
Any update on this?

If there was, they would post about it, or there would be release notes w/ any firmware/controller updates.

Josh Reynolds :: Chief Information Officer :: www.spitwspots.com
Ubiquiti Carrier Wireless Admin, Trainer
psydafke
Kudos: 59
Solutions: 4

Josh_SPITwSPOTS wrote:

psydafke wrote:

UBNT-MikeD wrote:

Hi,

Best regards,
Mike

Any update on this?

If there was, they would post about it, or there would be release notes w/ any firmware/controller updates.

That's not the answer I was looking for... Offcourse they would post about it, or put it in release notes... I was just asking for the current status.
They need approval, and that takes a lot of testing for certification (I'm well aware of that).

rinzwind

Change your region in settings to Brazil or Thailand and you get some more channels (36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165). Oke, it's against 'THE LAW' ooooeee... but if you're not nearby an airport I can't think of anything wrong with it :manwink:

rinzwind

[ Edited ]

btw remember... the difference between channel 36 and 40 is only 20 MHz... So a 'channel step' is 5 Mhz.

Channel Widths.png

So yes... it's very important to support DFS modes... otherwise you can't use AC properly in multi AP situations.