Nigelmoore

Airplay and unifi issues

Hi, we have 2 uaplr set up in our retail premises. one on the Gfl and one on the 1ST fl. Really struggling to airplay to them. I have tried many settings to no avail. Sometimes we get great results sometimes breakup of signal within a few seconds. Has anyone had any issues doing what we are doing?

we are using a netgear router into a number of gigabit netgear switches. wireless we have around a dozen clients and wired around 20. Playback across the wired network is fine from upnp server to upnp player.

any ideas would be great.

Thanks Nigel.
Established Member
flipper
Kudos: 365
Solutions: 80

Re: Airplay and unifi issues

I'd check which Unifi you're connecting to when you get 'bad' Airplay. Make sure you are not getting stuck on the weaker connection.
Nigelmoore

they both transmit about the same due to location. I have just moved one and dropped its power and renamed the other to try and sepereate it so that it only connects to one. It made no difference so far. We have tried just one connected but still issues. Just wondered if there was a possible issue with router or anything like that.
pjpendleton
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

What is the square footage of the space you are covering.

I have found that deploying more AP and turning down the power substantially increased performance.

I used to have people complain about "connecting" to the AP but not getting access to the network.
lou1z
Kudos: 15

could it be the dreaded LR striking again? ie you are receiving the LR but not managing to transmit back?
Nigelmoore

could it be the dreaded LR striking again? ie you are receiving the LR but not managing to transmit back?

what do you mean by that?
Established Member
flipper
Kudos: 365
Solutions: 80

He means, what is the signal strength of the device you're having problems with? Not how well the device sees the Unifi-LR, but how well the LR sees the device.
Emerging Member
belias
Kudos: 2

I have a 4,000 sq ft. home covered with 3 AP's (2 UAP, one 1 UAP-Outdoor). All are set to medium power. AirPlay runs great over this setup - even when the iOS device roams from AP to AP.

However, I have found that AirPlay is VERY sensitive to link quality (as mentioned before)....anything < ~ 50% as shown in the UniFi controller typically causes weird problems.

Hope this helps.

- Brian
Emerging Member
jaredmauch
Kudos: 7

I have my home covered with one each UAP and UAP-PRO. One ssid to rule them all. Haven't had any issues with airplay, but most devices stick on the 5ghz on the uap-pro that has good central coverage of the house vs the UAP which is covering the basement. I suspect you may be better off with the uap-pro if you don't have it. Keep in mind that you can't use the same PoE adapter as on the UAP. Having the extra capability of the 5ghz will likely help significantly. Also, since you're doing AirPlay, I presume the destination is an AppleTV box, make sure this is wired vs using the wireless. Same goes if the destination is something else, just run a cable.
DeanWeimer

I have 2 AppleTV devices running on my UniFi setup at home, with two APs one is the standard UniFi AP, ceiling mounted at one end of the house, and the other is a Pico M2 that I switched to the UniFi firmware mounted outside on the opposite end of the house above the deck. Both Apple TV devices (one is first Gen, and one Second Gen) are connected wireless neither is hard wired. I have very few problems, in each case when I have had a problem it has never been due to wireless issues, its always been running airplay form the iTunes on the PC restarting iTunes has always fixed it. I have never had an issue using the Airplay from my iPAD to the AppleTV devices. (The reason for the outdoor AP, to stream music from iPAD to AppleTV connected to receiver powering the outdoor speakers on the Deck).
I have both APs running at low power (actually get a stronger reading of the signal on the clients than with default higher settings), and taken the steps of using inSSIDer, and Channelyzer with a WiSpy device to pick the best channels for use. If you are having problems with the wireless Streaming, which is going to less resilient to brief interruptions, I would definitely recommend using tools to determine any signal interference, and run with as low power as possible on the APs. My house sits within a 100 yards of a school witch shoots wireless point to point directly over my house to the next school, and I am within line of sight of two separate ISP towers who provide wireless broadband to homes, one of which doesn't use carrier class frequency hopping radios, so I have plenty of interference to deal with. Even before taking into account the neighbors wireless routers. Implementing the UniFi setup last spring has finally fixed all the issues I was having keeping a consistent wireless connection both indoors and out on the deck without me having to break the bank.
Springs
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 2

I have 2 AppleTV devices running on my UniFi setup at home, with two APs one is the standard UniFi AP, ceiling mounted at one end of the house, and the other is a Pico M2 that I switched to the UniFi firmware mounted outside on the opposite end of the house above the deck. Both Apple TV devices (one is first Gen, and one Second Gen) are connected wireless neither is hard wired. I have very few problems, in each case when I have had a problem it has never been due to wireless issues, its always been running airplay form the iTunes on the PC restarting iTunes has always fixed it. I have never had an issue using the Airplay from my iPAD to the AppleTV devices. (The reason for the outdoor AP, to stream music from iPAD to AppleTV connected to receiver powering the outdoor speakers on the Deck).
I have both APs running at low power (actually get a stronger reading of the signal on the clients than with default higher settings), and taken the steps of using inSSIDer, and Channelyzer with a WiSpy device to pick the best channels for use. If you are having problems with the wireless Streaming, which is going to less resilient to brief interruptions, I would definitely recommend using tools to determine any signal interference, and run with as low power as possible on the APs. My house sits within a 100 yards of a school witch shoots wireless point to point directly over my house to the next school, and I am within line of sight of two separate ISP towers who provide wireless broadband to homes, one of which doesn't use carrier class frequency hopping radios, so I have plenty of interference to deal with. Even before taking into account the neighbors wireless routers. Implementing the UniFi setup last spring has finally fixed all the issues I was having keeping a consistent wireless connection both indoors and out on the deck without me having to break the bank.

Damn...

Surprised your car alarms work! :manhappy: