mvn
Kudos: 12
Solutions: 2

Best UniFi AP for the job...

Hi guys,

Im deploying some Unifi AP's in a small office and wanted some feedback on the Unifi AP vs Unifi Pro.

We have a small number of clients, max 10 (inc mobile devices). Most of these are Mac Laptops. I would go for the Unifi AP, however im interested to know the speed boost by going with the UniFi Pro, assuming the macs will connect to the 5ghz channel...

So questions are...:

1) What is the speed of the Unifi Pro 5Ghz (40 channel width) Channel vs Unifi AP 2.4Ghz (20 channel width - as Apple limits the width)?

2) What is the speed of the Unifi AP vs Unifi Pro on 2.4Ghz (20 channel width)?

Reason I ask about speed is that a number of laptop clients do backups (TM) /transfer large files - so thats why I am interested in the Unifi Pro's. Just that one UniFi Pro costs 2.5x Unifi AP here.....

Thanks
Mark
GibsonLP
Kudos: 48
Solutions: 1

Re: Best UniFi AP for the job...

There is no absolute number to how fast will it work.
Legacy Wifi is CSMA based, the more (active) clients you get the slower it get (exponentially!), I can give you only theoretical numbers.

I believe you should use the pro:
The 3x3 mimo on the 2.4GHz will yield better throughput than the 2x2 on the standard Unifi so you are looking at a certain improvement in the 2.4GHz area (not sure how much exactly as you should also have a 3x3 Mimo client to enjoy this benefit).
The 5GHz is actually the real game changer for you. 40MHz N 2x2 synced at 300mps can give you an actual throughput of around 100mps, this is quite fast...
mvn
Kudos: 12

Thanks for your reply,
Ive also done a bit of research, using the info here: wiki.ubnt.com/UniFi_FAQ#What_Hareware_Models_Are_Available and here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009
For those of you who are interested... This is ONLY in a mac context, as Apple have decided to limit the 2.4 band to 20Mhz channel width instead of 40Mhz (which they enable on the 5ghz band).
Therefore these are the 'theoretical' throughputs for each device
UniFi AP:
2.4Ghz 20Mhz 2x2 = 144mbps
Unifi Pro:
2.4 Ghz 20Mhz 3x3 = 216mbps
5Ghz 40Mhz 2x2 = 300mbps
Note that only the newer macs have the 3x3 antennas - the older ones only have 2x2.
For me, as Gibson pointed out, I will definantly get the Unifi Pro - It may be a larger cost but having a 2x speed gain is worth it in my opinion.
Thanks
m25man
Kudos: 14

You should not use 40Mhz on 2.4Ghz unless you know exactly what your doing. The potential for co-channel interference is huge and throughput is badly affected when you have a large number of mixed clients.
Keep your 40mhz for 5Ghz where you can make the most of the non overlapping channels.
GibsonLP
Kudos: 48
Solutions: 1

The speed gain will actually be more than x2!

Let's assume 20MHz wide spectrum, 2x2 mimo and 6 clients.
Having 3 clients on 2.4GHz and 3 clients on 5GHz will give much better throughput (more than double) than 6 clients on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz due to the fact that the more clients you have on a single spectrum the less total bandwidth you have to share between them due to collisions and re-transmits.
So by having the pro and utilising both spectrums you will gain a lot more than just x2 speed.
Hrobocop

UniFi non-pro models have 100 mbit LAN, so you cannot get more from it!

Established Member
Uberseehandel
Kudos: 184
Solutions: 18

I love the convenience of wireless networks. However they tend to be slow and subject to interference and perfortmance degradation in the real world. Everything from microwave ovens, neon lights, mobile phones, security systems, certain electric motors, elevators, DECT (cordless) handsets, other wireless networks all create interference, along with a host of heavy office equipment, and light engineering tools.

The best way of maintaining happy users is to run wired ethernet to every desk in an office and support this with a wireless environment for visitors, meeting room use and perpetual migrants. This will provide consistent, repeatable performance, backups, file transfers and upgrades will proceed more smoothly, predictably and reliably.

R+C