hockeygeek
Kudos: 2

Can't get wireless uplink to work

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if I'm missing something, but I can't seem to get wireless uplink working in the 2.1 beta. I've adopted all my AP's through the controller software, then disconnected the one that I would like to uplink wirelessly. However, when I go into configuration -> wireless uplink for that AP, it does not show any potential wireless uplinks, despite having another AP wired to the network sitting 10 feet away. When I click on the "find more" button, I get nothing, and the drop down list remains empty. As regards network config, I'm only running two WLANs, one which is private, the other is for guests, and I don't have any vlans set up.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong, or what I'm missing?
ConRadical
Kudos: 71

Re: Can't get wireless uplink to work

I too had this problem with some units, I realized the once that were not discovering were on a different channel. I manually set the channels to the same and they recognized each other.

UBNT: Should that have to be on the same channel to discover?
Tsial
Kudos: 12
Solutions: 1

Yes, for the uplink it has to be on the same channel but for the discovery i dont think so!
maybe a configuration problem, like other channel weight ! have you try to reset it or to restore from a backup ??
Established Member
bluestu
Kudos: 97
Solutions: 1

It can take upto 10 minutes to see an available uplink for the AP. This is based on 30+ isolated APs deployed so far.
s
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Jerry
Kudos: 464
Solutions: 6
Contributions: 1

All,
The Wireless Uplink is designed to be reliable rather than quick/dynamic. I'm pretty sure whoever posted had had their wireless uplink setup already. For those who's about to try, be patient. :manhappy:
A few technical details:
1. by default, wired APs don't go off-channel to look for isolated APs. "Find more" trigger wired APs to do so. And after wireless uplink is set up, the isolated AP will always find and follow the same channel use by its uplink AP
2. The available uplinks won't show up until the AP becomes Disconnected (takes about 5 minutes) - this is to prevent a potential network loop.
BTW, the 2.1.0 thread is updated to advise to people to wait for Disconnected state before doing 'Find More'
hockeygeek
Kudos: 2

Thanks Jerry! Turns out all it took was some patience, and refreshing the browser window, rather than hitting the "refresh" link in the interface.