OPTHERIAL

Existing UniFI AP Network - Need to add a bridge.

Hello everyone. Quickly need a UBNT solution!

I have an existing unifi AP network. Indoor and outdoor 2.4 GHZ units. Full coverage on a 80,000 sq ft property. We recently added solar panels to our building. The solar system requires a dataloger hooked up to the internet. Long story short the datalogger only has an ethernet port. I would like to use either a PICOM2HP, Nanostation M2 or an outdoor unifi ap setup in wireless bridge mode. The wireless bridge would join the exisiting WIFI network and pass internet out its LAN port. I need to provide internet to the solar monitor. I have done this before using nanostation to nanostation but never another UBNT product to a unifi network.

What is my best way to accomplish this?
Veteran Member
Josh_SPITwSPOTS
Kudos: 4754
Solutions: 108

Re: Existing UniFI AP Network - Need to add a bridge.

I'd use a PicoM2 flashed with the unifi firmware (search the forum), and set as a wireless uplinked AP.

Or just use the Pico as a client radio. (station/bridge mode)
Josh Reynolds :: Chief Information Officer :: www.spitwspots.com
Ubiquiti Carrier Wireless Admin, Trainer
OPTHERIAL

I'd use a PicoM2 flashed with the unifi firmware (search the forum), and set as a wireless uplinked AP.
Or just use the Pico as a client radio. (station/bridge mode)

Thanks! I currently have a Pico laying arround that I can use as the client radio for the data logger. However if I was going to do modify the firmware, cant I just use an outdoor unifi AP thats ready to go out of the box? Will it do bridge mode.
Is it possible for the PICO to join the existing SSID network as a client?
Is the nanostation able to join as a client radio? Its directional design would allow a stronger signal. Guess I am not following as to the definite answer.
ConRadical
Kudos: 71

If you are trying to make a wired device into a wireless device the Unifi firmware is not the way to go. Just put the pico in bridge, much you would setup a CPE radio.
OPTHERIAL

Just as a closure to this thread. I was able to join a wired device to my unifi network by using a Pico configured to station/bridge mode. Pico connected great to the existing unifi network and pulled DHCP for the wired device.
Originally I wanted to use a Unifi device to do bridge mode in hopes I could manage it through unifi. If anyone is able to come up with a solution, I would be interested. So far the bridge should work flawless so long as SSID or passwords are not changed.