spunga
Kudos: 1

Lost Unifi configuration on update

I installed the 2.3.9 update to UniFi today on our OS X based server. It primarily manages 2 UniFi APs offsite and has worked well since being configured last December. However, after I installed the update, it appears to have reset our server from scratch. I can no longer access the setting for the 2 devices it managed and instead get the setup assistant requesting SSID passwords, etc.

When installing the update, I was told that it wasn't able to install because there was already a version of UniFi installed. I moved the older application to the trash and ran the installer. Afterward, all my settings were lost. The devices onsite are still working and I can see them with the UniFi-Discover.app, however its wanting me to reset them before I can readopt them.

What did I/am I doing wrong? I realized I didn't run the backup of our settings previously (or cannot find the backup file) so I cannot restore at this time. Is it that easy to wipe out UniFi's entire setup without so much as a warning in the readme or elsewhere (which I read before installing)?

Thanks,
Shawn
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-James
Kudos: 396
Solutions: 104
Contributions: 67

Re: Lost Unifi configuration on update

Hi Shawn,
I think the best way to proceed, is to configure your new controller with the SSID and encryption type you want, and then SSH into the APs and reset them. Once they are reset, they will pull a IP from the DHCP server. Connect to the units again and preform a L3 adoption.

#Reset to defaults
syswrapper.sh restore-default
-device will reboot
#Enter CLI interface
mca-cli
#L3 adoption
set-inform http://ip-of-controller:8080/inform
spunga

How will doing this affect the offsite network? I have cameras attached to the network and need to maintain connectivity. The cameras are located in difficult to access positions and I'm 1000 miles away.
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-James

How will doing this affect the offsite network? I have cameras attached to the network and need to maintain connectivity. The cameras are located in difficult to access positions and I'm 1000 miles away.

If you put in the exact same SSID and security settings / pass phrase, they should reconnect once the APs are re-provisioned.
spunga

Thanks. Of course, none of this explains why this happened in the first place. Care to elaborate?
spunga

I just managed to relocated my backup file and am back in business. Thanks for the help.
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-James

Some users have had issues when doing upgrades from much older versions on Win /OSx (not linux). I would make either a UniFi config backup or machine backup in the future as an insurance policy.

Anytime you do a successful upgrade, a backup should be saved here: /data/backup/
spunga

Thanks

Some users have had issues when doing upgrades from much older versions on Win /OSx (not linux). I would make either a UniFi config backup or machine backup in the future as an insurance policy.

Anytime you do a successful upgrade, a backup should be saved here: /data/backup/

Ah, that's good information. Almost no application on the OS X platform stores data in this fashion. Usually service data (read: things that matter to end user's configurations) is stored in any number of other places, but never in the /Applications folder, which is considered disposable (not typically part of a backup routine). Future versions should store this kind of important, variable data somewhere where most system admins would expect it, such as /etc, /var/, or /Library/, anywhere but inside the Applications folder :icon_surprised:. Particularly if the update installer doesn't keep the older version (or prompts you to remove it first, as I ended up doing).

For other admins who run into this issue, the backup file was actually found by right clicking on the UniFi application, choosing Show Package Contents and navigating to Contents/Resources/data/backup. In my case, I actually found the backup on my laptop where I had downloaded it from the web admin.

Thanks again for the assistance.
Occasional Visitor
lancey
Kudos: 2

Re: Thanks

I've experienced the same problem updating from 3.1.2 to 3.1.4 on Debian Squeeze.

The reason for the failure is the old version keeps it's data in /var/lib/unifi, but the new version installs fresh copies of the databases in /usr/lib/unifi/data.

The solution:

service unifi stop
cd /usr/lib/unifi/
mv data data_bak
ln -s /var/lib/unifi data
service unifi start

You should wait a couple of minutes while Unifi updates the database, and you should be ready to go. After you check al is fine, you can delete the /usr/lib/unifi/data_bak directory.

I guess the same applies to Ubuntu.