wozzzzz
Kudos: 53

Open-Mesh vs UniFi network? what to go with?

i have a block of units where i have a setup with a netcomm HS960 and 3 NP730's for my paid wireless internet setup that works ok but slow as a snail and poeple are complaining.
i am looking at UniFi and Openmesh wireless networks but cannot choose between them.
Can someone with experience in both these networks give me some direection on what one i should go for and why??
i need the ability to print tickets for access from office and also for eople to pay online for access, i think both theser system do this but whats the best way to go and why??
I have above average IT skills as well. I set up the previous HS960 network around the place with alla ccess points wired in about 10 years ago with Cat5 cable.
would it just be a matter plug the new access points in and off i go with a new system or what?
Ancient Member
WHT
Kudos: 5130
Solutions: 93

Re: Open-Mesh vs UniFi network? what to go with?

Apples to oranges.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
wozzzzz

Apples to oranges.

and whats that supposed to mean??
CLTech
Kudos: 63

It means that you can't directly compare the two - they're both very different.
UniFi is a system of access points, mostly cabled together, working in unison and being managed by a single controller. For the most part, they're intended to be cabled individually, though each wired radio can support up to 4 radios that aren't cabled together. There is no mesh networking.
A Wireless Mesh is a whole different ball game - the radios (especially their own branded ones) are small and pretty low powered; they're meant to be put everywhere and they're managed through the opencloud.com service. They dynamically determine the best route back to a wired interface by trying to figure out how to route data across several openmesh access points. I'm not going into much detail, so I suggest googling for more conceptual information about how mesh networks work.
We can't know more without knowing a lot more about your environment; you probably want UniFi, but it's hard to tell without knowing how many people to support; what your coverage area is (including distances); construction type (wood, concrete, etc); and if you are able to run cabling to each place that a radio should go if designed correctly.
It's best if you can include some maps/floorplans too with some markup on what exists today along with measurements and coverage areas marked out.
wozzzzz

the attached image is a floor plan of the whole area, about 3000sqm
the length of the buildings are about 40 metres the red spots are the acces spoints and the pool is in the centre.
the current access points are about 3metres off the ground on a pole with standard omni antennas, they are all cabled into the router.
the building is made out of bessa block and concrete filled in most areas. the building is 3 stories high and 3 units on each floor in each block.
the access point in the middle of the place is about 15 metres away from the closest unit and about 30 metres from the furthest.
the ones at each end of the building are about 10 metres away form the closest unit and about 30metres from the furthest.
they are almost line of sight to the furthest, you can see it if you are standing at the front doors of the unit on the furthest away, rest of the units are line of sight.
building.jpg
Established Member
rhauf
Kudos: 249
Solutions: 6

I can say one thing about open-mesh, speaking from experience...
if you set up a network with them, never let a repeater node be more than one hop away from a wired node. and be sure it has good signal. also they are very low powered (which is not always a bad thing)
Ancient Member
WHT
Kudos: 5130
Solutions: 93

But...but...those pretty pictures from mesh vendors show nodes connecting to each other all the way across town!
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
JustTech
Kudos: 15
Solutions: 1

But...but...those pretty pictures from mesh vendors show nodes connecting to each other all the way across town!

hahaha - yeah

Just put up some Unifi outdoor units in place of what you have. They should work fine (subject to site survey) as they are MIMO and pretty ok range.
wozzzzz

well from research ive done these access points are 2.5 more powerful than my netcomms, the are a/b/g/n where my netcomms are only a/b/g and i am after n on a new setup.
i think this is what i will get, a few unifi outdoor ap's, but what you think about running them all through the ToughSwitch?? is that necesary or just any switch will do and run the 3 PoE for each access point??
JustTech
Kudos: 15

Tough switch is nice, but any old switch will do. Depends on how they are connected back through to the internet?
devnullol
Kudos: 5

I believe OM and Unifi are designed to solve different issues.
OM is true mesh networking with all the good and bad that entails. With OM you buy a bunch of APs, scatter them around, sign into the cloud controller, add them by MAC and you are done. They also allow auto-adoption of alien nodes (OM devices in range connected to someone else's internet). It is VERY simple.
I think the design goal is to enable community wifi run by the community with little coordination or central management.
Unifi is not "mesh." It doesn't use batman/robin routing. It is designed to be centrally managed by someone with pretty high level technical skills. It is not 0 config self healing everyone-jump-in-the-pool-the-water-is-warm party hardware it's more Serious Business.
I am about to deploy my first Unifi site. Based on my test data I'm optimistic it will work MUCH better than the OM equipment for my client's needs BUT it's going to require more of my time to get it Right. Honestly the client could have rolled out the OM equipment themselves and done as good a job as I did.
I trust they don't read these forums. YMMV IMHO etc.