drzen

Password reset

How to reset Unifi default password (ubnt/ubnt).
I don't remember my admin password :-(

v.
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Jamie
Kudos: 234
Solutions: 31
Contributions: 155

Re: Password reset

How to reset Unifi default password (ubnt/ubnt).
I don't remember my admin password :-(

v.

Hi,
Perform a hard reset of the device to default back to factory configuration settings. Press and hold the button for up to 15 seconds. Then go through the controller steps to adopt the UniFi to your network.
Regards,
Jamie
drzen

Not hardware reset but software password. I lost password of my unify control panel.

v.
geekrebel

re-install

I had the same problem and ended up simply re-installing the controller software. (So probably a good idea to make a backup of the configuration file (Admin -> Backup -> Download backup file)

Restoring the backup will also make sure the APs get re-added to your controller.
"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
drzen

I'm looking for a low invasive method. Like an UPDATE query to mongodb.

v.
Visitor
ronjansonius

So am I. Any updates to resolving this issue painlessly? A call to support landed me in an answering machine, and an email to support has yet to be responded to.
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Jerry
Kudos: 463
Solutions: 6
Contributions: 1

sjwk sent me a PM and told me his findings along with security concerns.
Currently the controller's DB runs on 127.0.0.1 (i.e. only processes on the same machine can talk to it) without authentication. Thus you can find a mongo client and do

mongo --port 27117
# in mongo's command line, do
use ace
db.admin.find()

That being said, while I believe most of the installations have controller installed on a PC used by the admin only, it's important for you to know what our current design is.
A more strict model will be introduced in later releases.
New Visitor
jasonlich
Kudos: 4

one liner:
mongo --port 27117 ace --eval "db.admin.find().forEach(printjson);"
joerace

password reset and locate unifi solved

Current unifi controller 2.2.0
install mongo explorer and connect to database.
Port: 27117
Database: ace
The rest of the settings are just the defaults.

Under collections select "admin" then select what shows up under documents to display the username and password.
dlbass93

Re: password reset and locate unifi solved

What is the database username and password used when connecting through MongoExplorer? This is the first time I have ever dealt with something like this, so please forgive me if it is a stupid question.

I have installed MongoExplorer, and when I click on the connect button, I fill in the IP of the AirOS device, set the port, change the database to ace, and click connect. It tells me the username and password is incorrect. I have tried ubnt/ubnt, and that doesn't work.

I am trying to reset AirOS on a few nanoStations (I think that is what they are). They are on 40+ foot mast antennas, and I really don't want to have to climb to get them down. They were installed a few years ago by a different IT person, and they didn't make any notes of what the login credientials are!

Thanks,

mongoexplorer.jpg
Longtime Visitor
bouillon
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Hi dlbass93,

You don't have to enter a user ID and password in those fields..  Just click on 'OK', then click 'Admin' under collections and then click the item under 'Documents'.  Your admin password will then be revealed.

dlbass93

Thanks bouillon,

If I leave them blank, I get the same error message saying the username and password is incorrect, or that the database doesn't exist. So, maybe I am going about the connection incorrectly...

I know for sure that the IP of the access point is 192.168.1.86, it took me forever to locate it, and finally narrowed it down to that by running netscan while connected directly to the PoE injector. I then set my laptop lan connection to 192.168.1.3 and 255.255.255.0 and was able to get to the login page of the access point. Nothing I tried worked there, and that is how I wound up in this thread.

So, I assumed the IP of the database would be the same as the AP, but maybe not... Any ideas?
If it is a lost cause, they are going to get someone up there in a cherry picker to dismount the APs, I'm not climbing up there!

thanks,
Longtime Visitor
bouillon
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

dlbass93,

My mistake for not reading your post fully.  This is the UniFi forum and I assumed you were asking about determining the admin password for the UniFi controller.  In your case, you are going to have to do a hard reset of those Nanostations.  Once reset, the IP address will be 192.168.1.20 with a user ID and password of ubnt/ubnt.

Established Member
Uberseehandel
Kudos: 179
Solutions: 18

[ Edited ]

1. Download MongoDB and install on a workstation (doesn't have to be the same one)
  2. Download MongoVue and install it on a convenient workstation
  3. Make sure the MongoDB server that is downloaded as part of the UniFi controller install is halted
  4. Copy the contents of the Ubiquiti UniFi\data\db directory to somewhere convenient for the new instance of MongoDB you have just installed
  5. Start the new MongoDB server engine
  6. Start MongoVue
  7. From within MongoVue add the ace db you have just copied as a data source
  8. Browse the ace db looking for the user name and password
  9. Finally, use a tool such as KeePass to securely store all your passwords and TANs and make sure the repository is backed up to the cloud and a usb stick

Simples

R+C

New Visitor
staffadmin
Kudos: 1

Here's a crazy question... why isn't the controller's admin password hashed?

New Visitor
martl20

If you want to change your unifi controller administrator password:

# mongo --port 27117

> use ace

> db.admin.update( { name: "administrator" }, {$set: { x_password: "<new password>" } } )