ronz

UniFi Range?

Having lots of problems with the UniFi. I just purchased the UniFi Long Range mainly for the range, but am finding that the range is terrible. My old Linksys WAP54g has much greater range.

I'm using my iPod Touch for testing since most people will be using iPhones and iPads with this AP. I can make a connection to my Linksys from many rooms, at least 100 feet away. I can connect to the Linksys when I have just one "bar" of signal strength showing on the iPod. With the UniFi, I can only connect to it when in the same room where it is showing full strength. Anything less than full strength won't connect.

To get range, I mounted the UniFi about 12 feet high on a wooden wall. It should work great in that location, but not. The Linksys is 7 feet high in small room with adobe walls.

Naturally, I have the power set to full strengh. I have 4 SSID's programmed. Does the number of SSIDs reduce power? Surely not. They all use the same radio(?) Maybe my unit is faulty? Any advice, comments from anyone?
Veteran Member
mhoppes
Kudos: 3413
Solutions: 49

Re: UniFi Range?

Having lots of problems with the UniFi. I just purchased the UniFi Long Range mainly for the range, but am finding that the range is terrible. My old Linksys WAP54g has much greater range.

I'm using my iPod Touch for testing since most people will be using iPhones and iPads with this AP. I can make a connection to my Linksys from many rooms, at least 100 feet away. I can connect to the Linksys when I have just one "bar" of signal strength showing on the iPod. With the UniFi, I can only connect to it when in the same room where it is showing full strength. Anything less than full strength won't connect.

To get range, I mounted the UniFi about 12 feet high on a wooden wall. It should work great in that location, but not. The Linksys is 7 feet high in small room with adobe walls.

Naturally, I have the power set to full strengh. I have 4 SSID's programmed. Does the number of SSIDs reduce power? Surely not. They all use the same radio(?) Maybe my unit is faulty? Any advice, comments from anyone?

BZZZZZT. This is probably not the proper way to mount it for your setup. Can we get a drawing of the area you are trying to cover and where the APs are mounted? Most likely it should be mounted on the ceiling, not the wall.

Also, I have to ask... are the Linksys and UniFi are very different channels (e.g. 1 and 11... 2 and 9, etc?)
Sent via alt.hardware.wireless.ubnt reflector

On-Location airMax Training for Groups of 4 or more.
Send PM for more information.
ronz

Below map is pretty accurate. Powering the UniFi through 60 ft of cat 5. I tried locating it in the same room as the Linksys through a very short Ethernet cable with same short range results.
www.mem-umc.org/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/UniFi_Range_Map.jpg
SA182
Kudos: 97

Link doesn't work.
dreamer
Kudos: 30

Put the UniFi LR in the same spot and test again.
Also, What is the power level set to?
Veteran Member
mhoppes
Kudos: 3413
Solutions: 49

Put the UniFi LR in the same spot and test again.
Also, What is the power level set to?

I would add to this....

Put it in the same spot as the Linksys... but mount it on the ceiling ... turn the Linksys off... make sure the UniFi is on high power and test again.

It should be blowing the Linksys away.
Sent via alt.hardware.wireless.ubnt reflector

On-Location airMax Training for Groups of 4 or more.
Send PM for more information.
dragon2611
Kudos: 66
Solutions: 4

Which Ipod Touch

Afaik the older ones were 11G and the newer ones are Single stream 11N
Emerging Member
jaffadog
Kudos: 8

I don't think I've seen published rf patterns for the uap lr, but I assume its a toroid in the same plane as the Frisbee/uap. So if you mount it on a vertical wall, I think much of the radiated pattern will be up/down. Try mount it horizontal somewhere.
Also, there was a thread about some LRs being shipped that were mislabeled/flashed at the factory and were actually non-LR. Check to see how the device reports in the unifi console. Does it report that it is indeed an LR.
dragon2611
Solutions: 4

I'd assume more of a dome like pattern?
My iPhone 4a sees the signal from my regular unifis almost to the end of the street although not tested to see of it can actually transfer any data from that far probably not as wifi analyser shows -90
EricE
Kudos: 105

I don't think I've seen published rf patterns for the uap lr, but I assume its a toroid in the same plane as the Frisbee/uap. So if you mount it on a vertical wall, I think much of the radiated pattern will be up/down. Try mount it horizontal somewhere.

From what I understand the pattern is similar.
Do not mount it horizontally on a wall! There is a reason it comes with ceiling mounting plates designed for hanging ceilings :icon_cool: If you do hang it on the ceiling, be sure you hang it correctly (i.e. facing down). Yes, it matters!
Also be aware that long range is only of benefit if the device can talk back to the AP - it may be able to "hear" the AP, but if it isn't strong enough to "talk" back to the AP that can cause worse problems. Don't be scared in playing with the power levels - I cut mine a bit and communications greatly improved with iOS and Android devices.
snowball
Solutions: 3

I have not used the indoor UAP units, but have had great success with an outdoor UAP unit with the 2.4Ghz +10dB gain AirMax omni antennas in a motel type environment. I have two units covering a "long" 2 acres over many buildings. I get excellent signal everywhere.