tomtech
Kudos: 3

Unifi AP - AirMax clients

OK here is what i want to do:
I have a client with a really BAD home. Large, difficult materials, etc. For a variety of reasons we cannot install cable in this location and must build a wireless network to support VOIP phones. So I want to use two or three UniFi access points, then use something like a Pico station to act as remote access points/bridge to allow phones to plug into the Ethernet port and get an address and connect to the network. Thus, we can have 6 phones all connected via wireless using remote access points.
I have looked at almost every hardware manufacturer available and no one has a solution that provides both a good basic wireless network and small "bridges" for connecting to wired devices.
Has anyone done anything like this? Please let me know. if you need more clarification, just say so and ill try to clarify.
Thanks all.
Tom Ross
Tekwerks Broadband Services
Porch
Kudos: 63

Re: Unifi AP - AirMax clients

Sure. That will work no problem. Just keep the Pico loaded with the stock firmware. Don't flash them to UniFi. Then you can put them into client bridge mode.
tomtech

That simple?
Ill give this a try In the AM here at our shop. Only wish I could setup the UiniFi without the "server" software.
Thanks.
Tom Ross
RichieRich
Kudos: 88
Solutions: 4

That simple?
Ill give this a try In the AM here at our shop. Only wish I could setup the UiniFi without the "server" software.
Thanks.

No it is not that simple. VoIP especially needs the wireless to be super stable and it will require some testing and tweaking on your end.
The software is required to set the units up, but not required if the units do not require a guest network/ portal page.
FTZ
Kudos: 99
Solutions: 7

What's the topology you're after? A wifi bridge for every VoIP phone, scattered throughout the house or more like an office scenario with multiple phones per room, connected to a switch behind a single wifi bridge?
If it is a private residence there may be complaints about the looks of the PicoStation and the need for the PoE powerbrick. In that case you could test something livingroom friedly like the Belkin F7D4555 and see if it suffices performance- and WAF-wise. :icon_mrgreen:
tomtech

FTZ
yes, the Pico may be a bit strange. Since you mention the Belkin, has anyone tried the A
pple AirportExpress? That box is REAL small and has the necessarry config. The only hesitation i have is that i dont want too many devices in the mix.
As for topology, i will have one place where there will be a switch behind an access point, and three locations where there will be only a phone behind an access point.
Yes VOIP requires stability, but the entire house is not more than 100' from front to back and about 25' wide. very open floor plan and we will mount three UniFi's throughout the core of the house. It is my hope that all remotes will see the core devices without issue.
Tom Ross