Stephen_J
Kudos: 32

Wireless Uplink idiocy

So, maybe I am just inept. However, since most technical things are easy and quick for me to figure out, I'm not so sure that is the problem.

To quote the oh so thorough documentation...
"When an Access Point is not connected by a wire, Wireless
Uplinks lists potential uplink Access Points that can be
selected to establish a wireless connection."

Now, is it just me or is there a key piece of information missing here... Like... How they heck is the controller going to communicate with the "disconnected" AP to tell it to do a wireless uplink if there is no network connection to it?

Just to be technically clear, the controller is in a different, routed subnet.

I was able get one of these connected. Somehow, I was able to "Forget" the AP, then re adopt it and while it was still adopting the Wireless Uplink menu option was there and I got it before it disappeared. I tried that again on another AP and I couldn't catch it.

Am I missing something really obvious or is this functionality as poorly implemented as it looks?

Thanks,
Stephen
SuperUser
Josh_SPITwSPOTS
Kudos: 5320
Solutions: 129

Re: Wireless Uplink idiocy

connect it to the lan, set it as wirelessly uplinked, then disconnect it from the lan, place it wherever, and plug it back in
Josh Reynolds :: Chief Information Officer :: www.spitwspots.com
Ubiquiti Carrier Wireless Admin, Trainer
ConRadical
Kudos: 71

Esseph is an AirOS guy, don't listen to him :icon_mrgreen: Set it up on the lan like a normal AP, then unplug the wire and let it sit for awhile. Eventually the controller will find it(wirelessly) and you can select it and tell it to use the wireless uplink. Sometimes you have to manually set them to the same channel before unplugging the wire.
Stephen_J
Kudos: 32

So, if it is disconnected from the LAN, the other APs will see it eventually and show it in the controller as Isolated. Okay, that was as clear as mud in the documentation. I even watched Streakwave's video and it didn't seem any clearer.

Thanks Con
SuperUser
Josh_SPITwSPOTS
Kudos: 5320
Solutions: 129

I just said that! Lol
Josh Reynolds :: Chief Information Officer :: www.spitwspots.com
Ubiquiti Carrier Wireless Admin, Trainer
ConRadical
Kudos: 71

So, if it is disconnected from the LAN, the other APs will see it eventually and show it in the controller as Isolated. Okay, that was as clear as mud in the documentation. I even watched Streakwave's video and it didn't seem any clearer.
Thanks Con

That's right, it 'should' find it, but i've had to set the channels manually the same (while plugged in) and then they discover much quicker.
You're welcome!
Springs
Kudos: 23
Solutions: 3

I remember reading something about "Island Mode" or something like that. Then the unit establishes a connection with other units from the same UniFi instance.
wratterus
Kudos: 81
Solutions: 11

connect it to the lan, set it as wirelessly uplinked, then disconnect it from the lan, place it wherever, and plug it back in

I just said that! Lol

Should be the other way around. :icon_wink:
Connect it to the lan, adopt it, unplug it from the lan, wait for the heartbeat missed then disconnnected messages from the AP, then choose the wireless uplink.
@Stephen, it's dead simple, and the video walks you through step by step - not sure where you can go wrong really.
Established Member
CodyLoco
Kudos: 548
Solutions: 10

Should be the other way around. :icon_wink:

Connect it to the lan, adopt it, unplug it from the lan, wait for the heartbeat missed then disconnnected messages from the AP, then choose the wireless uplink.

@Stephen, it's dead simple, and the video walks you through step by step - not sure where you can go wrong really.

Second, that's the right way to do it!
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Matt
Kudos: 2351
Solutions: 60
Contributions: 39

Hi,
Maybe this will help:
youtu.be/noXVQyV_-2c
If you have suggestions to help with documentation, we can definitely add them in.
Thanks,
Matt
drogers

I have just been through these steps (on 2.3.8 & 9) several times, and the remote AP stays in the 'isolated' state forever, never making a wireless uplink.
It never 're-adopts' as shown in the video, and while it lets me pick the wired AP as the wireless uplink, once I've done that the channel shows up as blank and the signal shows up as N/A. Before selecting it and letting it update the topology it showed the channel # and 99% signal.
krcrane

I have the exact same symptom as drogers. Have been through the steps a number of times.
2x Model UniFi AP-LR Version 2.3.9.1693, running controller Version 2.3.9 on Mac OSX.
JohnHedge
Kudos: 1

Ditto.
1x UAP-Pro
1x UAP-LR
Both v2.3.9.1693
Controller 2.3.9 on Mac OS X 10.8.2
bjhorvath1947

Matt- had a similar problem with getting two APs to work with wireless uplink - followed the you-tube and process exactly 3 times, and still got "no wireless uplinks available"
I then read in a thread to set the radio channels the same when adopting the APs as wired units. set to channel 10 .

BAM! the isolated unit immediately found the other wired unit!

Whew!
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Matt
Kudos: 2351
Solutions: 60
Contributions: 39

Matt- had a similar problem with getting two APs to work with wireless uplink - followed the you-tube and process exactly 3 times, and still got "no wireless uplinks available"
I then read in a thread to set the radio channels the same when adopting the APs as wired units. set to channel 10 .

BAM! the isolated unit immediately found the other wired unit!

Whew!

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback! We'll try to get that step added to the process...

-Matt
Established Member
avolve
Kudos: 73

Is this just an issue with the LR's and Pro's ? I haven't had a problem with PicoFi's wirelessly connecting to original Unifi's. No channel changes or anything out of the plain vanilla ordinary, except they are within 100yds of each other.
Frequent Visitor
Valentin

Hi

I am in a very similar situation trying to work out if wireless uplink of Outdoor APs works.

So far we had immediate success with the indoor UAP long range, works as described, wireless uplink options show up and can select. But for Outdoor model and after going through 10 of them , including setting same channel (4) - no success in uplinking any outdoor UAPs (normal, NOT PRO) to any other AP. The uplink options simply won´t show up whereas they show up fine on the indoor APs.  A bit frustrating. What are we doing wrong ?

A nice alternative setup would be if we could use the Nanostation M2 to get the signal from the Rocket Antenna from the central Rooftoop to a Palmtree say 250m (750ft) away and feed the signal straight into an UAP outdoor to cover a distant section and power the whole thing with just one Power ower Ethernet cable rather than running it from the Nanostation Loco M2 down to a router and up to the palmtree again for the UAP outdoor. Would be something like a wireless uplink for slightly bigger distances ... Haven´t figured that out yet.  Any input on this situation?  

Let us know if wireless uplinks of outdoor AP´s work and maybe someone has figured out the "Palmtree airmax / UAP outdoor combo" with one wire.

Thank you

Valentin

heartbeat missed disconnected no uplink available.PNG
DEVAXTATOR
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 9

there's a video explain step by step

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA6m0P-NDnA

dadaniel
Kudos: 24

UBNT-Matt wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback! We'll try to get that step added to the process...

-Matt

What about fixing the non-working channel scan instead LOL :icon_confused:

Frequent Visitor
Valentin

Thank you very much. The video is clear and these steps are precisely what we do and the same steps that lead to wireless uplink with the Indoor UAP long range units every time -  but not with the outdoor UAP units.  

I read somewhere it is the same electronics in a different package, so it´s a bit puzzling.

There is just no selection of wired UAP´s showing up on the Outdoor UAP´s after the same procedure of adopted, missing heartbeat, disconnected.

Even if the set to the same channel (we tried 4,10 and automatic). We tried with a number of Outdoor Units to no avail.  Should the Outdoor UAPs connect wirelessly or is it just the indoor UAP´s as shown in the video that do?

Maybe someone has gone through the same ? 

Thank you very much

Valentin