schetty

Home made DIY external antenna

Greetings!

Has anybody tinkered with making their own external antenna for connection to the Nanostation - to extend signal range?

Can you post experiences/blog/diagrams- if any

Thanks.

SC
SuperUser
WHT
Kudos: 5574
Solutions: 119

Re: Home made DIY external antenna

You would be better off buying a commercially made antenna.

First off, the Nano 2 has a 2 dB loss to the antenna port due to circuit board trace loss. Almost 5 db with the Nano 5. That means your antenna would have to be at least 16 dBi gain to equal the gain of the internal antenna.

[Edited - That means your antenna would have to be at least *TWELVE* dBi gain to equal the gain of the internal antenna *OF THE NANO 2*.

Second, you have to have 6 dB gain to double your distance.

So now you're looking at a 22 dBi gain antenna.

[Edited - So now you're looking at a *EIGHTEEN* dBi gain antenna *FOR THE NANO 2*.

That would require some very tight tolerances and without a $1,000 SWR meter, you won't know if your antenna construction is correct.

Commercial 22 dBi antennas usually cost under $40.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
roypogi

Re: Home made DIY external antenna

I used to build antennas for a living during the VHF/UHF days and so I tried building one for 2.4Ghz and after sourcing parts and trial and error. I decided just to buy one. So I second WHTs advice.

BUT.. if you really want to build one because its expensive in your country or you just want to try it. then here's the link for lots of 2.4Ghz antenna projects. Go to the middle of the long page for the Amos sector antennas (Awsome!)

www.qsl.net/yu1aw/vhf_ant.htm

boards.fon.com/viewtopic.php?t=3727&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=wifi+craft

This thing is so addictive. Im preparing materials for Amos 9 sector antenna. ;-)