Previous Employee
UBNT-Thomas
Kudos: 32

AirControl Beta Download Link

AJ-Illinois
Kudos: 58
Solutions: 2

Reminder

Remeber guys to be able to do anything with devices using AirOS 3 it has to be upgraded to latest FW available in the forum.

Mike Thank you so much for the info today.. And for the work you guys did on airControl already this program is great!!!!
agsweeney
Kudos: 55
Solutions: 1

Re: AirControl Beta Download Link

I just sucessfully upgraded two devices from 3.4 to 3.5RC with AirControl.

Update to XS2.ar2316.v3.5-rc.4448.090910.1708 scheduled.
Update to XS2.ar2316.v3.5-rc.4448.090910.1708 complete

This is going to be very useful - thanks!
Previous Employee
UBNT-Thomas

Remeber guys to be able to do anything with devices using AirOS 3 it has to be upgraded to latest FW available in the forum.

AirOS 3.4 is minimum requirement for AirControl for a/b/g devices. 3.5 is preferred as it will also report the network ID from discovery scan.

AirControl will detect older, pre 3.4 firmware versions and give you the option to upgrade when you connect, provided you load the needed firmware into the application beforehand.

See /docs/index.html for basic information on usage.
sbrown
Kudos: 15

Are there plans to make AirControl do more than just firmware upgrades? Like pushing config changes out?
I tried adding a AP that was on a different subnet, entered the IP and MAC address - it wouldn't connect. Wouldn't even prompt for a username and password. I could SSH into it from the same computer, but not via AirControl (Connecting to a 3.4 AP).
This is a big one for me, because I have multiple subnets, so I am fine with the limitation of the auto-scan tool, but I need the manually entered ones to work too :icon_biggrin:
lncomms
Kudos: 17

AirControl loads on my Windows7 laptop but when connecting to a remote network via VPN it won't discover any devices.

When manually adding a device using IP and MAC it won't connect says "AUTH-cancel" in the log.

I have tried connecting to the devices using PuTTY SSH client and it works fine, any pointers guys? ta.
Emerging Member
wisptec2
Kudos: 1

AirControl loads on my Windows7 laptop but when connecting to a remote network via VPN it won't discover any devices.

When manually adding a device using IP and MAC it won't connect says "AUTH-cancel" in the log.

I have tried connecting to the devices using PuTTY SSH client and it works fine, any pointers guys? ta.

It used Broadcast trafic to discover just like the discovery tool. that wount work over VPN. All VPNs block broadcast trafic b/c they are on diferent subnets. now i am waiting to try to discover my network when i am hard wired in, then see if it keeps the found radios. i will post back with my resoltes. hope that helps

Thanks
Eli
Thanks
Eli
Previous Employee
UBNT-Thomas

I installed Air Control on a new fully patched Windows Server 2003 server and the service will not load. The software loaded fine but service does not start. Event viewer shows me Event ID: 7024 - The Ubiquity AirControl service terminated with service-specific error 0 (0x0). Please advise.

The Windows installer was only tested on XP, Vista and Windows7, though I would have hoped it works on 2003 as well. Having said that, I do not have a 2003 environment to try to reproduce it now.

Some diagnosis pointers:

Look into the log directory in the install folder. Do you find anything in the log files? Usually the info logged by the Jakarta service launcher is rather sparse. (The service launcher is starting the JVM).

Try bumping up the log level in the aircontrol launcher configuration (either by opening it from the icon in the tray or using menu item "Configure Service", then go to "Logging" tab).

Also let me know the Java VM info from the Java tab.

Have you already attempted to start the service manually through the menu item or just through the Windows service controller? The launcher has its own start/stop buttons that you can try to narrow down the issue.

The final fallback and/or intermediate step to get you going without dealing with the Windows service integration will be to bypass the launcher and start the server with the Tomcat scripts in the bin directory.

Looking forward to hear more details about the service issue on 2003. Hopefully we can resolve it quickly.
Previous Employee
UBNT-Thomas

It used Broadcast trafic to discover just like the discovery tool. that wount work over VPN. All VPNs block broadcast trafic b/c they are on diferent subnets. now i am waiting to try to discover my network when i am hard wired in, then see if it keeps the found radios. i will post back with my resoltes. hope that helps

Yes, discovered devices will be kept and you will still have them connected when you are off the subnet (as long as they are reachable through SSH and can talk back to the server on the HTTP port). Hooking the server NIC to the subnet (if you have the option) is a convenient way to get the device list. The other option is to add them all manually. The fix for this is on the way.
Previous Employee
UBNT-Thomas

Are there plans to make AirControl do more than just firmware upgrades? Like pushing config changes out?

Yes, user feedback will be major consideration for feature additions. So keep posting your suggestions/wish list here.

I tried adding a AP that was on a different subnet, entered the IP and MAC address - it wouldn't connect. Wouldn't even prompt for a username and password. I could SSH into it from the same computer, but not via AirControl (Connecting to a 3.4 AP).

Fix for authentication details entry is in place with new build. Download using the updated links in this thread and reinstall AirControl.
lncomms

The problem was...

The specified module could not be found.

and fixed by reading...

forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5121172

Hope this helps the debug.

Regarding VPN I don't see why it wouldnt work? If I am a member of the local LAN on the same subnet with an IP of the same subnet surely I can do whatever I could do if I were there physically(?)
Emerging Member
wisptec2
Kudos: 1

Regarding VPN I don't see why it wouldnt work? If I am a member of the local LAN on the same subnet with an IP of the same subnet surely I can do whatever I could do if I were there physically(?)

Yes, but you cannot forward broadcasts (or multicasts) across an VPN. The reason for this is that traffic is selected to be placed into the tunnel based on its destination address. A broadcast application is typically sending
packets to 255.255.255.255 , and this is not going to be configured as a
destination for a tunnel. This is not a UBNT thing this is how the data flowes over the OSI layers.
Thanks
Eli
clannet

Same problem of service will not start in Server 2003.
Thanks for the tip from lncommunications to quickly sort it.
I will share it here with everyone else.
Do a file search for msvcr71.dll then copy it into the system32 folder.

Thanks
Nick
Established Member
doush
Kudos: 176

devices in different subnets pre v3.4 doesnt get connected although I can SSH into them. Any problems there ?
lncomms

wisptec2 - I thought it worked using SSH? shouldnt I be able to just add the devices manually for it to work?
Established Member
MaximumISP
Kudos: 212

Nice find fixed it instantly

Thanks

Previous Employee
UBNT-Thomas

wisptec2 - I thought it worked using SSH? shouldnt I be able to just add the devices manually for it to work?

You can add any device manually that is reachable through SSH and that can reach the server on the HTTP port for reporting. The question posted was related to discovery scan, which will currently only find devices in subnet(s) associated to an AirControl server NIC.
marekm
Kudos: 31

Debian Installer

http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/aircontrol/aircontrol_1.0.01-beta2_all.deb

I've just installed it on Debian Lenny, here are a few comments:
- why does this monster (uses about 1GB of virtual memory!) run as root? Many other Debian services (even much simpler ones) run under their own user IDs, so even if one service is compromised, it won't compromise the whole system.
- firmware version not auto-detected for devices on a different subnet (even after I entered the ssh username/password), is it detected based on the $PS1 prompt (which I changed in /etc/persistent/profile to be more descriptive which device I'm now on)?
- it asks me for ssh username/password even though I've set up public key authentication (add "users.1.homedir=/etc/persistent" in /tmp/system.cfg, then "chmod 755 /etc/persistent" to make it non-group-writable, use ssh-copy-id to update ~/.ssh/authorized_keys and save config by "cfgmtd -w -p /etc")

Does it really have to be a web service (yes I know it sounds cool), not a simple appication which is started as needed, by an ordinary user?

OK, I guess it's not for everyone. But please at least address the security concerns, such a service really shouldn't need root privileges. Back to the good old ways for now...
Previous Employee
UBNT-Thomas

I've just installed it on Debian Lenny, here are a few comments:
- why does this monster (uses about 1GB of virtual memory!) run as root? Many other Debian services (even much simpler ones) run under their own user IDs, so even if one service is compromised, it won't compromise the whole system.

The max (not min, -Xmx JVM startup parameter) of 1GB is a default that is intended to work for most folks. The JVM may fetch all that memory even when it is not used by the app. On Windows, with 1GB max, the JVM will not grab all the memory from the OS. I guess on Debian it does.
You can fine tune this and all other JVM parameters to your liking after installation. For memory, run Sun's jstat utility to find out how much memory is actually used by the app and then you can set the JVM parameters accordingly.
As for the account the service runs under, I agree this should be a choice or at least a warning at installation time. We will look into it and see what can be done. Note however that you are free to either change the default setup here as well and if you do not want to use the installer setup at all get the generic tarball and roll your own.

- firmware version not auto-detected for devices on a different subnet (even after I entered the ssh username/password), is it detected based on the $PS1 prompt (which I changed in /etc/persistent/profile to be more descriptive which device I'm now on)?

For manually "discovered" devices, the firmware version should be reported along with all other stats after you successfully connect the unit. What does the history in AirControl say for that unit? Was it connected OK? Does it report stats to the server?

- it asks me for ssh username/password even though I've set up public key authentication (add "users.1.homedir=/etc/persistent" in /tmp/system.cfg, then "chmod 755 /etc/persistent" to make it non-group-writable, use ssh-copy-id to update ~/.ssh/authorized_keys and save config by "cfgmtd -w -p /etc")

AirControl only asks for username/password in the connect dialog and does not store it in the system. It is only used to establish key based authentication. We may consider using a private key you specify in the dialog instead of the password in the future, depends on how many folks vote for this.
marekm
Kudos: 31

OK, I don't have much experience with Java - perhaps the high memory usage numbers in "ps" are normal, the memory is just reserved but not all of it is really used. Would like to see something more lightweight that doesn't need a big (and power-hungry) machine though.

The history says "Device operation failed: No communication from device after connect, please check connectivity from device to server" and this is true: the machine I'm trying AirControl on is behind a firewall and it can connect to the devices, but the devices can't connect to it. Would it be possible to make AirControl work in such setups? For example, start a ssh connection to each device, then keep it open and receive statistics through it.