tekkaman75

Recommended OS to install AirControl

Greetings all,

I would just like to inquire your experiences for those of you that may have tried installing AirControl on Debian Linux or Windows.

Is there a preferred OS to run AirControl? Is Debian Linux the way to go or Windows?

I am assisting in doing some research for a wisp up here in Ontario, Canada. East of Toronto.

Would it be better to run AirControl from a virtual machine? Opinions appreciated.

Any feedback a/o pros/cons that you may have come across would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
tekkaman75
Emerging Member
ddiger
Kudos: 1

Re: Recommended OS to install AirControl

I've had AirControl OS running on both windows and linux ubuntu server and did not see much difference between either one.

I personally think it really just comes down to preference and/or equipment availability.

Anyone else agree or disagree?
FREE Live Streaming TV!! Watch ITV
SuperUser
SPITwSPOTS
Kudos: 392
Solutions: 5

I personally like to have that kind of server running on Linux.

Ours is on Ubuntu Server and works great.

But my preference is based mostly on a lack of confidence that the windows machine will function properly for months on end without needing some sort of attention.

Since it runs on java I don't think that the platform will have much effect.

Although Java does seem to be fairly resource intensive. So I suppose that the fewer resources consumed by your OS the better.
Do a Great Thing.
tekkaman75

What about installing on Ubuntu Desktop? Or is Ubuntu server the path to take?
SuperUser
SPITwSPOTS
Kudos: 392
Solutions: 5

What about installing on Ubuntu Desktop? Or is Ubuntu server the path to take?

There's not much difference.
Mostly it's just a patter of which packages are installed or suggested during install.
Like server doesn't install a gui by default but gives you the option to install Apache.
But other than the defaults during installation being different I don't think that there is any fundamental difference between server and desktop.
Do a Great Thing.
WifiWales
Kudos: 16
Solutions: 1

We normally use RH/Centos for servers, but have standardised on Ubuntu for our AirControl installs. I have been very pleased indeed, especially since the later Ubuntus use rsyslog as standard which I rather like and makes it easy for me to use the same machine for sysloging in general, plus session tracking to a MySQL database.

If you want to access AirControl locally (i.e. on the machine running AirControl) then a desktop flavour is best. If you intend for the machine running AirControl to be headless and therefore to access AirControl from elsewhere, a server flavour would be fine. But as SPITwSPOTS says, it doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference.

In one case I managed to get a very sweet-running Ubuntu +AirControl+httpd+MySQL controller/logger running on a 10 year old Dell desktop with a 500Gb hard disk and a mere 512Mb of RAM.

I don't even have to reboot it to install new kernels as I run Kspice Uptrack (which is currently still free for Ubuntu **Desktop** installs, though Oracle's purchase of the company may have implications for this in the future).

The most complicated thing about the entire install is to get the Sun Java packages installed - you have to enable a particular repo - very straightforward, but some Googling required to find the necessary keyboard incantations!
New Visitor
Red0ktober

I was running AirControl in a high-end VMWare cluster on Win2k3 and switched to Debian, resource utilization dropped by 50% or more. We are currently monitoring about 550 devices.

I normally use Ubuntu, but there was a package dependency bug and I was too lazy to build the package by hand. Installed fine on Debian.
lisandrogalup
Kudos: 20
Solutions: 2

We use a Mac OS Snow Leopard Server in a Mac Mini... works great
Established Member
bobcopro
Kudos: 89
Solutions: 4

We have it running on a Windows 7 machine with 8GB ram along with camera software, skype, and the MT WinBox. Runs fine - no real issue with performance or dependability (other than Windows in general).
Chappy WISP | mvWiFi, llc.

I can only help one person a day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either.