Farkuldi

NanoStation Loco M5 Installation

Hello,
I purchased a NanoStation Loco M5 from Ebay because I was under the impression I could use it to connect my desktop computer in my bedroom to my router, which is on the other side of the house. However, the box I received from the seller does not contain any documentation or instructions of any kind.
I did a search online for a manual, and was able to find a 16 page "Quick Start Guide" for this device. I attached it to my computer as instructed, but I cannot seem to communicate with it in any way. The guide says to enter 192.168.1.20 in a browser, which I did, but it cannot connect. The desktop computer is offline at the moment (hence the device).
Then I looked some more online for installation instructions and found quite a few, but they all seem to be using this device in some sort of bridge with another identical one. I did not find anyone using as I wish to do just to pick up the signal from my wireless router and transmit it to my PC.
So I was hoping someone here could tell me if this device can actually be used for this purpose, and if so, how I should go about it.
Thank you.
Established Member
Full Power
Kudos: 75

Re: NanoStation Loco M5 Installation

You will probably need to program the computer with a static IP address, like 192.168.1.19 to access the radio.

Does the Wi-Fi transmitter you are trying to receive the signal from have 5 Ghz / 802.11a ? You shiney new radio works only on 5 Ghz, but will perform the task you have for it if the frequency band is the same.
I spent most of my money on women and beer, and the rest I just wasted.
SuperUser
WHT
Kudos: 5594
Solutions: 120

What is the manufacture and model of your wireless router in your bedroom?
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
Farkuldi

Thank you for your reply! My router is a Netgear 3000D. I am not sure about the frequency. In the settings, under "Startup procedure," it says "acquire downstream channel: 855000000 Hz" and under "Upstream bonded channels" it has one at 38400000 Hz.
The computer is actually already set up with a static ip.
On another note, I have been trying to find the reset button for this in case it is not in the default settings (it looks refurbished), but I cannot. There is a small white rectangular piece of plastic on the bottom (the side with the LEDs) which looks like it should be depressed in order to slide the case away or something, but depressing it is very difficult and seems to do nothing. I also peeled back the sticker on the bottom and removed the screw, but I still cannot slide off the case.
I saw a reference to the two white plastic pins that are supposed to be removed, but if I have those, they are set so far down into the case that I cannot see how I am supposed to get them out. I say this because there are indeed two little holes in the white plastic on either side of the screw which are about two millimeters deep. At the bottom of these I just see more white plastic, but it may be that the pins are in there. But if they are, they seem inaccessible.
This cannot be the way I'm supposed to reset this device.
I appreciate your help.
SuperUser
WHT
Kudos: 5594
Solutions: 120

There is a small hole next to the Ethernet jack, it should be labeled reset. very gently push the reset button for 10 seconds and then reboot the radio.
I can't find any reference to the Netgear 3000D, you'll have to find the manual to see if it is 5.8 GHz. if it isn't, then the 5.8 GHz Loco won't work.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
Farkuldi

There really is nothing labeled reset anywhere on the unit. Nor is there a small hole by an Ethernet jack. Actually, there isn't even an Ethernet "jack" per se--just a hole where the cable comes out. That is why I thought maybe I had to take the case off to reset it.
Here are some pictures so you can see what I mean:
http://imageshack.us/a/img705/5637/img2940h.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img829/9066/img2941jp.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img811/6222/img2945d.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img222/994/img2947hb.jpg
It really is baffling.
As for the frequency of the router, I have a pdf of the manual, and it does not say. I did a "find" for any occurrences of both GHz and Hz, and the only thing I found was a warning to keep it away from 2.4 GHz cordless phones.
However, I really would like to be able to log into this device regardless. I have some more routers packed away somewhere, and once I get this part figured out, getting a proper router will probably be the easy part.
Thank you again.
Edit: by the way, none of those holes visible in the second picture are reset holes. The middle one is where the Phillips head screw was, and the holes on either side are the ones I was talking about in my post above, where the white plastic pins I have seen reference to might be recessed. At any rate, there is nothing in any of them that can be depressed.