Emerging Member
JeremyW
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Point to point 1 Mile wireless bridge

I'm looking to setup a wireless point to point network between my house and a friends house so that we can share internet. His location is almost exactly 1 mile from mine. I live in a "regular neighborhood" where there are 1 story and 2 story houses and trees. But no tall commercial buildings etc. I'm wondering which products I need to purchase to make this work. Thanks in advance for your time.
-Jeremy
SuperUser
WHT
Kudos: 5575
Solutions: 119

Re: Point to point 1 Mile wireless bridge

I live in a "regular neighborhood" where there are 1 story and 2 story houses and trees. But no tall commercial buildings etc. I'm wondering which products I need to purchase to make this work.
if you can't see the outside wall where it meets the roof eaves, then you won't have a clean line-of-RADIO-sight. You may want to consider the Loco 900 radio at each end that is very tolerant of trees and some building obstructions.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
Emerging Member
JeremyW

Thanks for the quick feedback. So are these just antenna's and I'll need access points? Or are these devices all inclusive? Do they just simply connect via ethernet to my existing networks on each side? Can you send me a link on configuring these? I went to the product page but it is pretty vague. Just gives the specs.

www.ubnt.com/downloads/loco2_datasheet.pdf
-Jeremy
Emerging Member
spitfirebull
Kudos: 10

check usage policy

Don't forget to check your ISP's usage policy on sharing. Would not want you get in trouble.
Emerging Member
JeremyW

Guys I actually looked into this more. I would like to create my site to site using the M5 antenna's using the 5ghz N based technology for higher throughput. Where can I find a turnkey "package" of products to put this together. I want to make sure I'm purchasing everything I need to accomplish this. Thanks in advance.
-Jeremy
SuperUser
WHT

www.balticnetworks.com/ubiquiti-nanobridge-5ghz-22dbi-mid-range-ptp-kit.html
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"

Emerging Member
JeremyW

This kit is just the antenna though right? Don't I need access points as well? Where can I read the whitepaper on configuring this solution?
-Jeremy
walrus0
Kudos: 486

in a nanobridge M5 the antenna is the radio.
If you have a particularly unique or challenging project, professional consulting services are available in central Asia, south Asia (AF, PK, IN, BD) and the Vancouver, BC area. Please contact me for more details.
Emerging Member
JeremyW

in a nanobridge M5 the antenna is the radio.

So with this kit I get a complete turn key ptp wireless setup for $160?!

Where can I find the user manuals?
-Jeremy
Veteran Member
Sirhc
Kudos: 2193
Solutions: 29

I'm looking to setup a wireless point to point network between my house and a friends house so that we can share internet. .

How fast is the internet connection you want to share?
What part of the country do you live in?
Who is the Internet service provider?
RF Armor Shield Kits for Ubiquiti M gear
www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!
Emerging Member
JeremyW

20mbps down and 896kbps up. I live in mesa,az. Isp is Qwest. Link would be 1 mile.
-Jeremy
Veteran Member
Sirhc

20mbps down and 896kbps up. I live in mesa,az. Isp is Qwest. Link would be 1 mile.

Any of the Nano Station M gear will work for what you want.
You do know that this may be in violation of your TOS agreement and if it is you could be prosecuted under special theft of service provisions.
I would check with Qwest and get permission first.
But do it at your own risk. If you upset your neighbor though, all he has to do is call the ISP and let them know what you have done to get back at you =).
As an ISP I would file charges and prosecute people who steal my service. I have caught several customers doing this and threatened to press charges if the other guy did not sign up for 1 year of service and pay 1 year of back service. They paid up!
You have to understand this is how we feed our kids, we are mostly small ISP owners on here so it is kinda like asking a cop where to buy your pot!
www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!
SuperUser
WHT

You get two radios - actually its a radio built into an antenna. Since they are defaulted as CPE radios (Stations), you'll reprogram one as an Access Point.

www.ubnt.com/wiki/Main_Page
www.ubnt.com/wiki/How_to_bridge_internet_connections

Established Member
sakita
Kudos: 163

www.ubnt.com/wiki/AirMax_Products

20mbps down and 896kbps up. I live in mesa,az. Isp is Qwest.

Since I too am both a Mesa, Arizona resident and Qwest DSL customer, here's a link to their subscriber agreement...

www.qwest.com/legal/highspeedinternetsubscriberagreement/files/HSI_Subscriber_Agreement_ENG_v32_0112...

...the part you are interested in is near the top of page 11. After it spells out single home or office location, single unit within a multiple dwelling unit, etc. it goes on to say...

(b) No Resale, Distribution, Transfer, or Assignment. You agree not to resell or distribute, transfer or assign this Agreement and/or the Service via any means including but not limited to wireless technology, except with Qwest's prior consent and according to Qwest's policies and procedures; provided that you may establish a WiFi hotsot as provided above, but may not resell Service provided over the WiFi hotspot.

So, the AP on my roof that my family uses is A-OK. If I linked to any of my friends / co-workers in the neighborhood then I'd be in violation.
Today is an average day: Worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow.
Emerging Member
JeremyW

Any of the Nano Station M gear will work for what you want.

You do know that this may be in violation of your TOS agreement and if it is you could be prosecuted under special theft of service provisions.

I would check with Qwest and get permission first.

But do it at your own risk. If you upset your neighbor though, all he has to do is call the ISP and let them know what you have done to get back at you =).

As an ISP I would file charges and prosecute people who steal my service. I have caught several customers doing this and threatened to press charges if the other guy did not sign up for 1 year of service and pay 1 year of back service. They paid up!

You have to understand this is how we feed our kids, we are mostly small ISP owners on here so it is kinda like asking a cop where to buy your pot!

I'm a Microsoft/Cisco certified engineer. I own a small computer consulting company. I'm just setting this up to test the equipment so I can implement for my clients. This is my parents house and I need to test this before doing any type of production setup. I've never done wireless before and I'm trying to expand my service offerings.
-Jeremy
Established Member
sakita

I'm a Microsoft/Cisco certified engineer. I own a small computer consulting company. I'm just setting this up to test the equipment so I can implement for my clients. This is my parents house and I need to test this before doing any type of production setup. I've never done wireless before and I'm trying to expand my service offerings.

I'm a certifiable gov't employee. So setup a link between point-A and point-B, setup a server at the other end and pull data over it. There are dozens of people here that will give tips and tricks on getting it working (and have many examples of doing similar and/or longer links very successfully with UBNT gear).

Hook it up to your ISP, on the other hand, and you have been warned in that regard.
Emerging Member
JeremyW

I'm a certifiable gov't employee. So setup a link between point-A and point-B, setup a server at the other end and pull data over it. There are dozens of people here that will give tips and tricks on getting it working (and have many examples of doing similar and/or longer links very successfully with UBNT gear).

Hook it up to your ISP, on the other hand, and you have been warned in that regard.

Thanks for the heads up.
-Jeremy
SuperUser
Dave-D
Kudos: 3749
Solutions: 422

I was in Mesa once--many many years
ago--to visit Motorola. (I worked for an
electronics distributor then.)

They took us way out into the desert for
a '32-ounce steak' at some oasis. I thought
they were abducting us, because they
drove for what seemed like a hour to get
there. And it was desert-dark, in the middle
of absolutely nowhere.

Nasty, greasy steak, but a great adventure.

After that, I rented an aircraft in Phoenix and
flew up to the Grand Canyon for an overnight. Dave
No disclaimer. Nothing to sell. I need to fix that.
Established Member
sakita

I was in Mesa once--many many years
ago--to visit Motorola. (I worked for an
electronics distributor then.)

They took us way out into the desert for
a '32-ounce steak' at some oasis. I thought
they were abducting us, because they
drove for what seemed like a hour to get
there. And it was desert-dark, in the middle
of absolutely nowhere.

Nasty, greasy steak, but a great adventure.

After that, I rented an aircraft in Phoenix and
flew up to the Grand Canyon for an overnight. Dave

Would that be the old Motorola plant on Broadway (the one that may have contributed some zesty chemicals to the water supply)? It's now an industrial park (there are a lot of former Motorola sites around here).

As for greasy steaks out in the desert back in the day I can only imagine which place that was (e.g. Rustler's Roost, Pinnacle Peak Patio, or The Mining Camp).

If you ever see the Kurt Russell movie "Used Cars" it was filmed in/around Mesa back in 1980 (a 'big deal' at the time - Hollywood in Mesa?). It's a challenge to remember / identify some of the locations - especially the desert parts as there has been so much development in the last 30+ years.
Veteran Member
Sirhc

I'm looking to setup a wireless point to point network between my house and a friends house so that we can share internet. His location is almost exactly 1 mile from mine.

In this post you say it is a "friends" house specifically to share an internet feed.

You even specified the connection in this one.
I'm just setting this up to test the equipment so I can implement for my clients. This is my parents house and I need to test this before doing any type of production setup. I've never done wireless before and I'm trying to expand my service offerings.

Now it's just a test with your "parents" house.

Like sakita says, it should not have any reason to touch the internet to "test" and hone your wireless skills.
Look, I am not a police for Quest, and it's your risk, but like I tell my kids, I was not born yesterday, please do not insult my intelligence. But if your intentions are to "share" internet it is illegal, it's theft so please make your decisions accordingly.
Good Luck!
www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!