New Visitor
sycomputing

Rocket M 2nd ethernet port

It seems from the documentation that the 2nd ethernet port on these models is capable of supplying 24v power to, e.g., a second Rocket. What we're not sure about is whether or not the secondary ethernet port accomplishes this via an internal psu or by using power from the POE brick.

So, can someone confirm that a single 24v POE adapter is all that's required to power say, 4 units daisy-chained?

Thanks
SuperUser
Dave-D
Kudos: 3889
Solutions: 457

Re: Rocket M 2nd ethernet port

No, it's not.

Rocket's secondary port is rated for one
client radio. Some have pushed this to
two, but four is definitely not advisable.

Power is derived from the PoE supply, via
a switch rated to 0.5A. If you use the
secondary port, use 24V 1A PoE supply. Dave
No disclaimer. Nothing to sell. I need to fix that.
New Visitor
sycomputing

Many thanks, Dave.
spork
Kudos: 1

I was just looking for the same answer. From what I see on the datasheets, only the Rocket M-GPS and Titanium have a second port, correct?
We have a difficult location to get another wire to. We have a Rocket M5 there and need to order another Rocket (of some flavor), can I power both from the same PoE feed if using the 1A PoE injector, or is there only enough power for "client radios" as mentioned above (I assume nano?).
SuperUser
Dave-D
Kudos: 3889
Solutions: 457

Rocket M5 can be placed on a
secondary port if you use a
24V 1A PoE supply. Dave
No disclaimer. Nothing to sell. I need to fix that.
spork
Kudos: 1

Just want to be perfectly clear, this isn't just Nanos as the PoE passthrough device, but the Rocket M5-GPS which has a second ethernet port, correct? (docs that suggest it should here: dl.ubnt.com/guides/Rocket_M_GPS/Rocket_M5_GPS_QSG.pdf - page 4 of the pdf)
I was looking at this thread:
forum.ubnt.com/showthread.php?t=55792
What is the concern about smoking/bricking units when using PoE passthrough? Just Nanos did that or the Rockets as well?
New Visitor
sycomputing

Heya Spork:

I'm pretty sure this only applies when using devices with a secondary ethernet port...as far as I know Nanostations only have one, hence, in this context, "client radio", means a Rocket with a secondary ethernet port.

Maybe Dave can confirm.
SuperUser
WHT
Kudos: 5691
Solutions: 125

1 - Rocket and NanoStations M (not the legacy Nano) have a second ethernet port.
2 - The second port is functionally like a switch.
3 - The second port's PoE pairs 4&5 and 7&8 are tied directly to first port's PoE pairs.
4 - The second port will source (pass) only .5 Amps.
5 - Use of the second port requires the optional 24 Watt Poe (24 volt @ 1 Amp)
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
SuperUser
WHT
Kudos: 5691
Solutions: 125

Fixed that.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
New Visitor
rnsr

Hi,

We have recently bought some Rocket M2 Titaniums and we wanted to feed a 2nd radio using the 2nd LAN ports PoE passthrough feature (or at least that was our intentions). When we tried this in our lab, we found out that the "POE Passthrough" selection isn't even available in the "Advanced" menu on the device and connecting a 2nd devices main port to the 1st devices secondary port didn't do anything at all.

I've read in this thread that you have to use the 24V 1A PoE supply, but our radios is delivered with the 48V 0.5A PoE supply (EU customer).

By doing some quick math I would say that 24Vx1A=24W and 48Vx0.5A=24W so basically those PoE adapters provides the same wattage to the radio. 

Did we miss something here or is what we are trying to accomplish simply not possible with these devices?

Powersupply model name: UBI-POE-48-5G

Radio model: RM2-Ti

Radio MAC ID: 1229C DC9FDB02E704

FW: 5.5.4

SuperUser
Josh_SPITwSPOTS
Kudos: 5537
Solutions: 135

FWIW, if that Titanium dies, so does the other device.

Not really a good idea in most cases.

Josh Reynolds :: Chief Information Officer :: www.spitwspots.com
Ubiquiti Carrier Wireless Admin, Trainer
Emerging Member
VisionNetwork
Kudos: 2

Re: Rocket M 2nd Ethernet port

Im new to the Ubiquity site and equipment.  Only been doing this for couple of months.

I have a question regarding the second Ethernet port on the Rocket M5 Titanium.  Setting up a small ISP.  I have a NanoBridge M 5G22 bridged (point A) to another Nanobridge M 5g22 (Point B) for a connection 2.5 miles away. The connection works awesome. Now from Point B I am going to add a Edge Router Lite and a Omni with a Rocket M5 Titanium.  How do I configuer the router and the omni so I can sale internet to this part of my rural area.  I need to keep the current connect in tacked as we may want this as a private network for remote backup.  But I am willing to change that if I need to so that I can sale service out here.

Do I setup the Router as though point B 192.168.1.X is my default gateway and internet connection and then setup the Omni port on the router as a DHCP Router and the Omni with a Static IP.  I would then bridge each client to the Omni.

Anything would help.

Thanks

reoalexking
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

Hello,

With a 2nd. Ethernet port issue for my new Rocket M2 Titanium installation, I thought I might jump in here to both provide info and ask for comment on my issue.

First off, the Rocket doesn't work with a 24v POE supply, it must be a 48v POE supply.  This, I was directly informed by Aaron at support, will drive a 24v POE device connected to the 2nd. Ethernet port, such as the Bullet M5 Titanium I sought to use.  Support further referred me to a Web site which reiterated this information, along with info that the Rocket might also be driven with POE applied to the 2nd. Ethernet port, instead of the Main port.  I have not tried this, by the way.  After receiving this info from the ubnt Support site, I hooked up my Bullet to the secondary port of the Rocket.  No joy there!  No POE v to drive the Bullet, no LED's lit up, no nothing.  Furthermote, the Advanced tab of the Rocket's v5.5.8 firmware/configuration software does not show the option used to turn on or off the Secondary port.  I have a NanoStation M2 likewise using firmware v5.5.8 and 2 Ethernet ports, where the Advanced tab clearly shows the secondary port control option in the advanced Ethernet section, which works perfect, while my Rocket's Secondary port appears dead and the firmware has no such secondary port control function available where it is supposed to be - or elsewhere.

So, I have a perfectly functional Rocket M2 Titanium with a totally dead Secondary Ethernet port!

I have sent many pleas for help to ubnt Support, along with supporting screen shots and such, with no response to this issue of any kind.

Thus, here I am looking for input from others who might have encountered this problem - especially in a new out of the box device.

See attached screen shots.

MAINtab.jpg
reoalexking

I thought that I was attaching 2 screen shots, only 1 made it through, so here is the other.

FYI, ubnt Support told me that with 48v POE driving the Rocket M2 Titanium, 24v POE will be available at the Secondary Ethernet port, which in my case, is dead.

I ran further tests trying to use 24v POE on the Main port of the Rocket, but the Rocket does not light up and remains non-functional in all respects - until the POE is changed back to 48v.  While using 24v POE for the Rocket, I thought to see if it would light up my Bullet, which needs 24v POE.  No such joy, as the 2nd. Ethernet port of the Rocket remained dead.

My 76 year old legs are getting tired of this up and down my antenna farm tower, so before I throw in the towel, I would appreciate comment from people who have likewise run into this problem.

Perhaps by then ubnt Support will get around to me.

ADVANCEDtab.jpg
Established Member
mhotel
Kudos: 219
Solutions: 4

Unless there's a buck regulator in there, whatever comes in will go out.  Have you measured the voltage on the secondary port?

New Visitor
ilineoz

Interesting. I have used the secondary port on the M5 Nanostation successfully to run a M2 rocket as an accesspoint. However on the latest M5 deployment did not allow users to load web pages. Connecting through the LAN port on the injectors worked. I was told that the new M5 firmware has disabled the secondary port. Is this true?

iLine

reoalexking

[ Edited ]

For all who were kind enough to join in this discussion, ubnt Support has advised me that some devices with date code 13xx+ have this problem, which is being priority worked on. 

I gather that we may expect either a firmware update or, more likely, a swapout offer in the near future as this appears to be more of a hardware issue than configuration firmware.

In my case, it is the Rocket M2 Titanium that has a dead Secondary port (no POE v present), and the required configuration option under the Advanced tab that allows the Secondary port to be activated is entirely absent.

I gather that some M5 versions are also affected. 

Prior to connecting anything to my Secondary port, I checked with ubnt Support, and was advised that I should expect 24v POE on the Secondary port with 48v POE on the Main port.  The device requires 48v POE and does not function on 24v POE.  I wanted to ensure that I was not going to blow away my Bullet M2 Titanium (runs on 24v POE) or anything else I might connect. 

I started off with a Bullet M5 Titanium, then tried a known-to-be-working Bullet M2 Titanium, which also does not work when connected to the Secondary port of the Rocket M2 Titanium.  If I patch the Ethernet around the Rocket, the Bullet works like a champ.

It was then that I received the info from Aaron S. at ubnt Support.  Should you have similar issues or questions, try emailing Aaron S. at:  support@ubnt.com  Perhaps Aaron will post something within this discussion string.

Good luck to all,

Alex King

reoalexking

[ Edited ]

Hi iLine,

Although I am dealing with a Rocket M2 Titanium issue, I do have it configured PtP with a NanoStation M2 where I have a NanoStation M2 Loco running off the NanoStation M2 Secondary port as an AP, no problems, no worries. 

I have no NanoStation M5 in my inventory, so I really cannot comment on your M5-related observation/question.  I cannot imagine why ubnt would intentionally disable the Secondary port of their NanoStation M5 devices.  You may wish to consider downgrading your M5 firmware to what works for you.

Alex

reoalexking

UPDATE - Aaron S. at Ubiquiti Support has advised that an error was made when I was initially told that the Secondary Ethernet port of my Rocket M2 Titanium would pass through 24v POE.  It turns out that the Secondary port was not designed to provide POE for any attached device.  Only the digital signals are present.  I have suggested that Ubiquiti may wish to consider posting this information to the Community, plus a line or two in the device QSG and UG would be helpful to many.

Alex King

reoalexking

Hello RNSR,

I was just looking over this string, saw that you originally had the same basic questions that prompted me to seek out Community input.

I have found the absolute solution, according to Ubiquiti Support - The Rocket M2 Titanium was not designed to provide POE voltage to it's Secondary Ethernet port.  And the Rocket M2 (not the Titanium version) has no Secondary port at all, so that issue is moot.

Please see the related post I made a few minutes ago for full details.

Good luck.

Alex