Armwheet

SoHo Router Mode

Hi,
In recent M-firmware update 5.2 you added new mode. Now besides Router and Bridge we can find SoHo Router Mode. What it means? What it does and doesn't? Could you please update Wiki to better reflect current changes to AirOS - don't repeat MikroTik mistakes - good product documentation is a must :manvery-happy:

Thanks for your time :manhappy:
--
Best regards, Armwheet
Previous Employee
UBNT-Mike.Ford
Kudos: 12

Re: SoHo Router Mode

Hi,
In recent M-firmware update 5.2 you added new mode. Now besides Router and Bridge we can find SoHo Router Mode. What it means? What it does and doesn't? Could you please update Wiki to better reflect current changes to AirOS - don't repeat MikroTik mistakes - good product documentation is a must :manvery-happy:

Thanks for your time :manhappy:

Hello,

SOHO router mode is how a Linksys router operates.

Thanks,

Mike
Armwheet

Thank you Mike for clarification.

But, isn't it duplication of standard Router Mode?
Bridge mode is, just bridge mode :manwink:
Router mode is changing depending on wireless configuration. So when I set AP, then FastEthernet port is acting as WAN and WLAN module as LAN:manwink:

One and I hope final question: how ports/routing behave in SoHo mode?
I'm particularly referring to Rocket M.
--
Best regards, Armwheet
Established Member
avolve
Kudos: 74

SoHo mode is basically a one port wireless router, the main port needs internet access.
Armwheet

Thank you. So, it is still duplication of Router Mode where LAN will be treated as WAN, and WLAN will be AP with standard SOHO features - NAT, DHCP. Am I missing something?
--
Best regards, Armwheet
Established Member
avolve

Yep standard wireless router features, looks different than other wireless routers for sure, no small duckie antenna and an odd shape.
Previous Employee
UBNT-Mike.Ford

Hello,

While in AP mode, and SOHO router mode turned on, it will DHCP out of the WLAN, with the LAN bieng the WAN.

Thanks,

Mike
Armwheet

Thanks. It is almost clear :manwink:

So to simplify my questions. What is real difference between Router Mode and SoHo Router Mode in AirOS v5.
--
Best regards, Armwheet
Established Member
avolve

Router mode makes the main port the lan port and the wireless portion is a client, SoHo mode essentially makes the main port the client and the wireless portion part of the lan so your local wireless clients can connect. In SoHo mode it no longer is a wireless client device to hook up to a WISP, you will need an ethernet delivery of a network.
Previous Employee
UBNT-Mike.Ford

Router mode makes the main port the lan port and the wireless portion is a client, SoHo mode essentially makes the main port the client and the wireless portion part of the lan so your local wireless clients can connect. In SoHo mode it no longer is a wireless client device to hook up to a WISP, you will need an ethernet delivery of a network.

This is correct.

Thanks,
caspat
Kudos: 3

In soho mode is the second port on nsm5 is on the lan or wan??
Patrick
Established Member
avolve

In soho mode is the second port on nsm5 is on the lan or wan??

Patrick

Main port is WAN, 2nd port is LAN
Previous Employee
UBNT-Mike.Ford

Main port is WAN, 2nd port is LAN

And the WLAN is bridged with the LAN.

Thanks,

Mike
michael0

While in AP mode, and SOHO router mode turned on, it will DHCP out of the WLAN, with the LAN bieng the WAN.

Hi, My knowledge is thin here, and if someone could really spell it out, I'd be grateful.
Isn't what Mike wrote above exactly true for "Wireless Mode" set to "AP" plus "Network Mode" set to "Router"? The ubnt device's ethernet port connects to the WAN (e.g., a cable or DSL modem), and the wireless side of the device serves DHCP (with that check box enabled)? I'm using such a setup with a Bullet M2 and it works as expected.
If that's "Router" mode, the key question is: What behaves differently with a Bullet M2 if "Network Mode" is set to "SoHo Router" instead of "Router"?
Later posts in this thread have me wondering if "SoHo Router" is meaningful only when applied to the Nanostation, with its two ethernet ports, changing (only) the behavior of the second ethernet port. But then why would "SoHo Router" appear as a Network Mode option on the single-ethernet-port Bullet (as it does in v5.2)?
Sorry for being clue-deficient....
caspat

Is it possible to manage device in soho mode from wan port?

Patrick
Previous Employee
UBNT-Mike.Ford

Is it possible to manage device in soho mode from wan port?

Patrick

Yes it is.

Thanks,

Mike
lowlanda
Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

I've just ran into SOHO Router mode. I've been redesigning my ip configs and dhcp etc

I have a Netcomm N6BW (adsl modem) connected to a D-Link DIR-600 (4 port router), which connects my rocketM5 sectors. I have locoM5's as CPE. Up until now, I've used a standard 192.168.1.x config across the entire network (DHCP client devices from main router).

Today I started changing the NOC network to a 10.1.10.x config, bridged through the DIR-600 router, AP mode on rocketM5's and finally, SOHO Router mode on the locoM5's to provide a local 192.168.1.x network. I was just going to use normal router mode, but when I saw the SOHO mode, I figured that was what I needed.

After reading this thread, I now believe I've screwed up the CPE config. I want the CPE to have a static IP (10.1.10.x) on the WLAN side (back to main router via rocket), and DHCP on the LAN side, feeding the 192.168.1.x addresses internally at the client end. I set the CPE to have a LAN IP of 192.168.1.1 (gateway?), assuming that would work, and seggregate the network.

After these changes, I'm unable to reach the CPE's from either end. The rocket is telling me their last IP's were 192.168.1.1, but I can't connect anymore. I've tried setting static IP's at the CPE end to access whatever subnet it's on, with no luck. I'll have to reset them manually and try again :mansad:

I guess one question is: Are the CPE radios trying to DHCP a 192.168.1.x subnet out into the air (WLAN), instead of into the client network (LAN)?

If any of this makes sense, please advise on where Im screwing up! I'm still learning some of these basics, my apologies for lack of intelligence and highjacking this thread. Having a bad day so far lol :manhappy:

Regards,

Craig

edit:

After reading the AirOS manual a little more (who would've thought..), plus some thinking time, I believed I've answered my own question. I'll reset and re-configure the CPE' tomorrow, using "router mode" instead of SoHo mode. If all else fails, I can resort to bridge mode and rely on the TP-Link routers I've bought for them. I forget to mention I intended using them in a pass thru mode.

Thx

Established Member
BHSAZ
Kudos: 193
Solutions: 26

[ Edited ]

Have you use The discovery tool to look for it?

Could be an ip address conflict

you could try unplugging or turning off the rest of the rockets and see if you can access it.

if that doesnt work change the ip of your main router and try again.

you need to set the cpe wlan port ip to the ip address you want it to have or set to pull from dhcp and then

for the lan port turn on dhcp with the cpe in soho router mode

:smash:

edited: I didnt read well enough the first time

I come before you to stand behind you to tell you something I know nothing about so please done give me any Kudo's
lowlanda
Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the advice. I reset and re-configured all the CPE to "Router mode", but still no go initially. Then, I clicked the NAT tick box, and everything seems fine again :manhappy:

I have a small issue configuring the TP-Link client AP/Router. The Loco's are DHCP'ing a 192.168.1.x subnet to the TP-Link router. I've now set that router to DHCP, with a 192.168.1.x WAN address and 192.168.0.x subnet for the client LAN.

I'm sure it can be a lot better, I'm just happy it's connecting again :manhappy:

Can someone advise me on the best practce for setting up the loco's + a private client router? I want network seggregation, ideally using the 192.168.1.x subnet from the CPE all the way thru the client LAN. If what I've done is acceptable, I'll run with it for now. At some point I wish to use the new Gateway's, but I'll still be in the same boat.

Regards,

Craig

Emerging Member
mountainan

Here's a possibly related question:  What is the difference between bridge mode and SOHO router mode with DHCP disabled?  I assumed I would want the latter, since that's how the consumer grade routers I'm using are set up (there is a router doing DHCP upstream, with two other brand APs along with one Rocket M2 also acting as an AP).  However, every time I set it in SOHO router mode I lost all communications with the device (must've stuck a pin in the reset button a half dozen times to start over)... but bridge mode works.