ColoCenter
Kudos: 1

nanobridge as accesspoint/ptmp setup

I read this thread. Very helpfull, but also a bit confusing.
I want to offer wifi access to my neighbours around me. I have a fiber connection, my neighbours are limited to ADSL.
Most of my "customers" would be in a 90 degrees section, the rest of the surroundings would be suburban(180degrees) and farmland(the remaining 90 degrees).
In the topic i quoted it's suggested to use a rocket with omni antenna. Would that be wise in this case?
I was more thinking of 4 to 5 nanostations in a semi-circle covering that 90 degrees in sectors, but i'm not sure what they are capable of. Can the rocket with omni antenna handle more clients? Or would a nanostation covering approx. 20 degrees of the service area each also cover it? I understand the clients divide the max bandwidth by wifi, but what would be the max of clients for a nanobridge and rocket?
I'm also offering this as an alternative to adsl, so clients kinda expect the same thing. 10 mbit up and/or down would be nice. With the nanostations i could use different frequencies to balance the bandwidth also a bit.
Thanks for any advice.
SuperUser
Dave-D
Kudos: 3768
Solutions: 426

Re: nanobridge as accesspoint/ptmp setup

It's extremely unlikely that the Internet
provider's terms of service permit you to
redistribute or 'share' their service outside
your own home.

Have you contacted them to ask? Dave
No disclaimer. Nothing to sell. I need to fix that.
ColoCenter

I am an ISP with my own uplinks to the internet offering colocation services on my premises. So redistributing is not an issue.
But still new to the wifi thing.
Forgot to mention the distance to the clients would be around 100 meters to max 5 kilometers. No elevation issues since we're in the netherlands(nice and flat) except maybe some differences in the height of the roofs.
ColoCenter

I see i used nanobridge in the title. I meant nanostations. So not the dish-devices.
caboteur
Kudos: 23

I would go with a rocketM2 attach to airmax omni 13 dbi. You'll easy get your 10 mbps and it will tolerate a few tree.Since you are in country side, Noise should'nt be an issue. NanobridgeM2 are great at 5km as CPE.
Bernardo
Kudos: 49

I would start with a RM2 and a 120 degrees sector, covering the area with most of your customers first.
Later on, add more sectors as you need them.

saludos
Bernardo
ColoCenter

Thanks for the replies.
What would be the range with a rocket M5 with an Omni AirMax 5G13 on the AP side, and nanostations m5 on the CPE side? Or would i definitly need that sector antenna?
By the way, i'm leaning against the 5ghz series, since a lot of small businesses here have cheap accesspoints filling up the 2,4ghz space, and dont want to risk interference. As said, i'm on the edge of a business area, and want to cover the whole area. A couple of small business wifi appliances shouldn't interfere.
This image shows the area i want to cover. The dot is my position. The highway(A12) is approx. 1.5KM away to put it a bit into perspective.
Maybe a couple of farmers in the south-east section would also be happy with a faster connection. Most likely ADSL is not really working for them because of the distance to the telco centers.
mgibbons
Kudos: 51
Solutions: 6

Hi
From experience I am not so keen on the MIMO rocket Omni Combinations.
If you want to do it right from the start use 3 x 120 degree sectors with rocket M5.
Nanostations are great CPE's for small distances up to 1.5 miles and nanobridge for larger distances.
Kr's
mark