arqtos

Multicast and Airmax

Could someone enlighten me about multicast on Airmax network?

At the same time, an AP (Airmax) can transmit multicast packages for designated stations for saving bandwidth?
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Zy
Kudos: 11
Solutions: 1

Re: Multicast and Airmax

Hello arqtos,

Multicast packets will be sent for designated stations only.

Multicast traffic flow/direction is controlled using IGMP (Internet Group Management Protocol) messages.

AirMax devices listen (snoop) for IGMP Membership Reports/Queries to find out which stations are interested in particular multicast stream (i.e. if AP has not received such a message from the associated station, it will not sent multicast stream to it). AirMax uses unicast communication for multicast traffic in order to increase performance and reliability.

Thank you.
polans1

I have some issue with multicast. I have AP with 8 station. Sometimes it is happening that when customer switch channel, the old channel is still sending to his station, which cause bigger traffic as required. I restart whole system every morning, but till end of the day it happens that stations receiving up to four channels (10Mb/s) even only one is watching.
Funny is that mostly AP restart is enough, but sometimes station restart is requiret to reduce the traffic.
I running 5.3.3 but issue is the same wih other versions including 5.5 beta10
On the AP with only 2 or 3 stations this is not happening.

I can grant you access to my network.

Best regards,
Ivan

Hello arqtos,

Multicast packets will be sent for designated stations only.

Multicast traffic flow/direction is controlled using IGMP (Internet Group Management Protocol) messages.

AirMax devices listen (snoop) for IGMP Membership Reports/Queries to find out which stations are interested in particular multicast stream (i.e. if AP has not received such a message from the associated station, it will not sent multicast stream to it). AirMax uses unicast communication for multicast traffic in order to increase performance and reliability.

Thank you.
elbena0

I have some issue with multicast. I have AP with 8 station. Sometimes it is happening that when customer switch channel, the old channel is still sending to his station, which cause bigger traffic as required. I restart whole system every morning, but till end of the day it happens that stations receiving up to four channels (10Mb/s) even only one is watching.
Funny is that mostly AP restart is enough, but sometimes station restart is requiret to reduce the traffic.

Best regards,
Ivan

You need to Route Your network ant then set up a rendezvouz point "PIM"
Hope this help
SuperUser
Bean_Planter
Kudos: 2376
Solutions: 174
Contributions: 10

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_Independent_Multicast
Educate me, please.
1. A routed (not a bridged) network is required for multicast?
2. The UBNT AP doesn't serve as a PIM?
Cheers,
Gene
NEW FORUM MEMBERS:
Seek knowledge. Press the [Knowledge Base] link at the top.
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Edmundas
Kudos: 520
Solutions: 38

Best regards,
Ivan

Hi Ivan,

first please try to upgrade your network to v5.5 final and let us know if this problem is still happening.

-Edmundas
elbena0

no, your network should be configure to support multicast and then configure a rendezvouz point, rendezvouz points are confugured mostly on two ways depending on your needs, sparse mode and dense mode.
hope this help.
Joaquin R. Nunez
elbena0

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_Independent_Multicast

Educate me, please.

1. A routed (not a bridged) network is required for multicast?
2. The UBNT AP doesn't serve as a PIM?

Cheers,
Gene

Yes, this is the way to better implement multicast.
You can try this with a mikrotik router
I have searched for this options on ubiquiti routers but have not found anything yet
Excuse me the BIG latency for my response.

what are you using to stream?