PhilipPeake
Kudos: 4

NanoBridge M5 just reset to default

About an hour ago I was happily using the Internet when everything stopped responding.

My connection to the Internet is over a pair of NBM5s to a Comcast connection.
Of course, I suspected Comcast. Tried to ping the modem ... nothing.

Tried to ping the AP ... nothing.

Tried to ping my local NBM5 ... nothing.

Checked all the obvious stuff ... PSU ok ... cables ok ....
Climbed up to check the NBM5 ... no signal lights, the IO light flickering ... so it looks like the interface is probably ok.

Connected it directly to a laptop and fired up Wireshark.

Ethernet packets from ubnt ... Seems to be looking for routers ... it advertises its address as ... 192.168.1.20 !?!?!?!

Change address on the laptop, browser to 192.168.1.20 -- there it is.

Loaded up my backed up config file, changed the IP on the laptop again, and Wireshark goes mad with tons of incoming packets.

Fortunately, it was not the remote end, so fairly easy to fix.

Now my question:

Mike, under what circumstances does the NBM5 reset to its default config?

The only thing I can think of is that today has been pretty warm (90's), but we have had warmer days.

This link has been rock solid until this point.
Established Member
Ron
Kudos: 22

Re: NanoBridge M5 just reset to default

Check all your plugs and grounding. Make sure there are no short circuits on the power feed connecting to the cat5e.

Search the forum.
Established Member
FreenetAntennas
Kudos: 169
Solutions: 9

Philip,
This has been reported repeatedly in other threads - particularly in the context of the Rocket. You are not alone.
The best solution proposed by UBNT so far is to disable reset to defaults in the config.

• Latest Beta ... there is apparently a checkbox in the GUI now
  • Previous versions: Edit the config manually (seach for Mike Ford post that gave the procedure).

The current school of thought is that this is caused by out of balance voltages on the CAT5 - and that invokes the feature in "M" devices that allows you to cause a factory reset by pressing the RESET button (on the 24V POE injectors) which effectively super-imposes a phantom DC voltage onto the etherent pairs.
My tests with that RESET button is that a momentary press will not cause a factory reset; you need something like a 10 sec press .. so if your problem was caused by out of balance voltages, then it was not a momentary glitch.
I have not read (yet) a plausible expanation on how the voltages on the ethernet pairs can be out of balance for the 10 sec necessary for a factory reset - except a damaged CAT5 cable.
Rob Clark
Freenet Warehouse
Ubiquiti Distributor for Australia
Certified airMAX Instructor
Certified UniFi Instructor
PhilipPeake

I have added the no reset option.
I really doubt that this was any sort of power problem. The cable at the NB end is firmly clamped, and at the other end is in my office - where I was when this happened. There was absolutely no disturbance of the wiring and nothing else running from the same UPS had any issues.
As for the connections - did them all myself, so I know they are good :icon_wink:
Established Member
Ron
Kudos: 22

Almost every time we had this problem, water was involved.
PhilipPeake

Almost every time we had this problem, water was involved.

Water? as in the stuff that falls from they sky?
Been none of that around here for several weeks.
Slight
Kudos: 1

One thing i have seen happen on the 5.2 firmware is after you apply a configuration through test (eg test the configuration then click the apply) after a couple of weeks i have seen devices revert to their previous changes.

This was quite strange as i had devices change from being in router mode to bridge mode, others change frequencies etc.

If you did this and the original configuration was factory default then if this issue happened to you it would revert back to the original config.

This does not appear to happen if you just push apply.
Established Member
FreenetAntennas

Bingo

Slight: You may have found the problem. :manhappy:

This is totally reproducable here:

BM2HP
- Load V5.2
- Reset to factory defaults
- CHANGE SSID => APPLY
- Working fine (connected to my AP)
- Power Cycle
- Comes back with last running config.

BM2HP
- Load V5.2
- Reset to factory defaults
- CHANGE SSID => TEST => APPLY
- Power Cycle
- Comes back as Factory Default
- Does not connect to my AP (obviously)

Confirmed same behavior in V5.2.1-Beta3.

I will report as a bug.

Philip: Could this scenario have applied to your mystery reset - or are we still looking for something else?
Rob Clark
Freenet Warehouse
PhilipPeake

I have seen something like this.
I originally configured the NBs with addresses in my private network. On reflection I decided to give all the network devices their own subnet.
Not wanting to lock myself out, I decided to add a second IP in the new subnet (alias on the GUI). Set that up, tested, worked.
Worked on moving other stuff tho this new net, went back to make the IP change to the primary address ... couldn't contact one of the NBs.
Eventually tried the old IP ... worked ... but the "alias" had vanished.
I know it *was* there, because I had tested it. And no, it wasn't a case of me forgetting to apply the change.
Just wrote it off as probably just senility settling in and changed the IP to the new subnet.
There have been a few changes since. If this had been a change to the last but one config, all that would have been on a different IP.
That wasn't *that* case, this was a fully fledged reset to default.
It looks like the scenario you have tested.
I pretty much always TEST a relatively big change.
Established Member
FreenetAntennas

Philip:
Not sure I am 100% clear.
Regarding the original problem you reported (NBM5 reseting to factory), could the bug found by Slight have been responsible?
Rob Clark
Freenet Warehouse
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Edmundas
Kudos: 491
Solutions: 36

Thank you guys! We will check TEST->APPLY behavior and fix it if there is anything wrong when saving configuration to flash memory.

-Edmundas
PhilipPeake

Philip:

Not sure I am 100% clear.

Regarding the original problem you reported (NBM5 reseting to factory), could the bug found by Slight have been responsible?

Yes. This could have been the cause of reset to default.

------

I was (in my own garbled way) mentioning that I have also seen spontaneous reversion to a previous config (not the default config).
Wifi442
Kudos: 57

Just drove few hundred Km to reconfigure a rocket M5 that reset to default running 5.2 beta2.
24 volt switch mode supply with other ubnt equipment hanging off it. Running fine for half a year.

Arrive back 3am in the morning the dam thing has reset again.

Bucketing down with rain, 2 degrees out side. Wasted my time, money and fuel.

Another UBNT fault. This is getting beyond the joke!

I have a busy schedule and to do this whole process again in the next four hrs, I like to sleep sometime.

Shakes fist, I don't have time for this S***

Edit, no test function was ever performed to AP. running 5.2 prior fault and updated due to some other bug, some stations not associating back to Ap with encryption or some s....

Could you configure the other end of the link to connect to 'ubnt' ssid and get back on?
Established Member
avolve
Kudos: 73

One thing i have seen happen on the 5.2 firmware is after you apply a configuration through test (eg test the configuration then click the apply) after a couple of weeks i have seen devices revert to their previous changes.

This was quite strange as i had devices change from being in router mode to bridge mode, others change frequencies etc.

If you did this and the original configuration was factory default then if this issue happened to you it would revert back to the original config.

This does not appear to happen if you just push apply.

Definitely happens on 5.2 for a NanoBridgeM22 , change a configuration item, click test and it may go back to defaults.
KB8IGA

Factory reset issue

Has this problem been resolved? I have updated all my NanoBridge M5's to 5.2.1
The AP/Client has been up for several month without event. I went to add a second NB and it resets to defaults every day.
Can some one please shed some light on this for me.

Thanks
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Edmundas
Kudos: 491
Solutions: 36

Has this problem been resolved? I have updated all my NanoBridge M5's to 5.2.1
The AP/Client has been up for several month without event. I went to add a second NB and it resets to defaults every day.
Can some one please shed some light on this for me.

Thanks

There is an option in system page, which allows to disable reset button functionality from AirOS. Please uncheck it to see if your NBM5 will rest once again.

-Edmundas
Emerging Member
kozmonov
Kudos: 3

I am having the same problem with one of my nanobridges... It is runing 5.3 firmware and since I set it up 3 weeks ago it has gone into tftp mode weekly if not more often.
I have 100ft ethernet cable connected to the POE injector that was included with the nanobridge. Is this run too long for the included adapter?

I wish there were some POE Injector or Switch where I would be able to reset the nanobridge remotely. In the meantime I have the thing connected to a garden timer just so that I can avoid traveling to the site to reset it every time this happens.