wadio87
Kudos: 2

NanoStation Install

Hello guys, i want to ask a question about the kind of installation that i have in mind.

I need to give wireless internet to some people, and we want to share my connection.

Here is what i have in mind. The blue cross is my home, and the yellow places are the other people. From me and them there is a distance of about 100 meters.

postimage.org/image/yf7zsh06j/

Is possible to use a Ubiquiti NanoStation2: WLAN 54Mbps 2.4Ghz Outdoor Accesspoint and point from them to mine and in this way share the connection ? Please let me know, i hope that this is possible :manhappy:

Bests.
Veteran Member
urmom
Kudos: 1872
Solutions: 29

Re: NanoStation Install

You'll definitely want to check with the service provider to make sure this is allowed by them.
Not getting the answers you wanted? Check out this link --> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html -- I need a thumbs down button!
wadio87

You'll definitely want to check with the service provider to make sure this is allowed by them.

Hi, I have already asked them and this is allowed :manhappy:

Is my setup correct or there is any error ?

Bests.
SuperUser
Bean_Planter
Kudos: 2406
Solutions: 174
Contributions: 10

Based only on the information that you have supplied, you appear to want to set up a Hot Spot to send Internet to other people who will connect using the Wi-Fi radios in their own computers.
Configuration help is available here: wiki.ubnt.com/beanstalk
I think the closest configuration is the one titled "Wi-Fi Access Point (Hot Spot) to cover a Local Area"
I hope this is helpful to you.
Cheers,
Gene
NEW FORUM MEMBERS:
Seek knowledge. Press the [Knowledge Base] link at the top.
wadio87

Based only on the information that you have supplied, you appear to want to set up a Hot Spot to send Internet to other people who will connect using the Wi-Fi radios in their own computers.

Configuration help is available here: wiki.ubnt.com/beanstalk

I think the closest configuration is the one titled "Wi-Fi Access Point (Hot Spot) to cover a Local Area"

I hope this is helpful to you.

Cheers,
Gene

Yes you are absolutely right beanstalk, I want to share my connection to my collaborators/friends. Is that the right hardware ?

I mean: I just place my collaborator's nano station of the window and point it to my NanoStation ? I don't need to connect my collaborator's NanoStation to a router/switch, since it will take the IP from my router, right ?

Do I need anything else ?
SuperUser
Bean_Planter

Yes you are absolutely right beanstalk, I want to share my connection to my collaborators/friends. Is that the right hardware ?

I mean: I just place my collaborator's nano station of the window and point it to my NanoStation ? I don't need to connect my collaborator's NanoStation to a router/switch, since it will take the IP from my router, right ?

Do I need anything else ?

You did not say that your friends will have NanoStations. Now that you have, you should follow the instructions found in the article titled, "ISP-style Wide-Area Access Point". It describes how to set up everything.

You will be best served if you can use NanoStation M5's because 5.8 GHz has less interference on it. However, 5.8 GHz does not do well with obstructions such as trees. Choose NanoStation M2 if you have a tree or two in the path.

Again, this is based only on the information that you have shared.

I hope this is helpful in some way.

Cheers,
Gene
NEW FORUM MEMBERS:
wadio87

You did not say that your friends will have NanoStations. Now that you have, you should follow the instructions found in the article titled, "ISP-style Wide-Area Access Point". It describes how to set up everything.

You will be best served if you can use NanoStation M5's because 5.8 GHz has less interference on it. However, 5.8 GHz does not do well with obstructions such as trees. Choose NanoStation M2 if you have a tree or two in the path.

Again, this is based only on the information that you have shared.

I hope this is helpful in some way.

Cheers,
Gene

Hi! Thanks again for the reply.

Actually I have ordered

5x Ubiquiti NanoStation2: WLAN 54Mbps 2.4Ghz Outdoor Accesspoint, passiv PoE, 10dBi

Based on your reply, I need also an omnidirectional antenna right ?

With this solution, my collaborators will be also able to connect 2 or 3 devices from their home, right ?

For ex. a laptop, a tablet and a smartphone.

Thanks again very much for your support!
SuperUser
Bean_Planter

Onmi needed only if collaborators are 360-degrees around you. NanoStation Loco if they are all within 90 degrees (that is the approximate beam width of the built-in antenna).
Ok...now you have added that you want more than one device to connect. Why do you not include this information earlier?
Yes, the connection can be shared between multiple devices within the collaborators home. How will you split the signal? Do you have a WiFi AP router or do you need one?
NEW FORUM MEMBERS:
wadio87

Hi. Thank you. Sorry for adding new details at every post... :manfrustrated:
From my home I have a Cisco WiFi AP router and I will connect to it a 10 dBi omnidirectional antenna, and than point the NanoStations to my antenna.
My question is: my collaborators, can connect their devices directly on the NanoStation or they will need a router too ?
SuperUser
Bean_Planter

Ok @wadio87, you have added yet more necessary detail with this last post. I thought that you were going to use UBNT equipment 100 percent. Instead, you will use a Cisco WiFi AP router at your home and you want to use UBNT for each collaborator.
This is a fine solution, too. It is used by marine boaters when they dock in marinas and recreational vehicles when they park.
Each collaborator receives a NanoStation M2 and will receive Wi-Fi from your Cisco AP. The guide for setting up the NanoStations is found here: wiki.ubnt.com/beanstalk in the section titled "Configuring a Long-range Wi-Fi Client using AirOS 5.5"
To serve many devices, you need a simple switch for each collaborator.
Because the distance is so short, you probably should have purchased the NanoStation Loco M2 ... but the larger NanoStation M2 will work as long as you turn the power to minimum. Again, read the link that I provided and you will be fine.
Best wishes with your project.
Cheers,
Gene
NEW FORUM MEMBERS:
wadio87

Ok @wadio87, you have added yet more necessary detail with this last post. I thought that you were going to use UBNT equipment 100 percent. Instead, you will use a Cisco WiFi AP router at your home and you want to use UBNT for each collaborator.

This is a fine solution, too. It is used by marine boaters when they dock in marinas and recreational vehicles when they park.

Each collaborator receives a NanoStation M2 and will receive Wi-Fi from your Cisco AP. The guide for setting up the NanoStations is found here: wiki.ubnt.com/beanstalk in the section titled "Configuring a Long-range Wi-Fi Client using AirOS 5.5"

Because the distance is so short, you probably should have purchased the NanoStation Loco M2 ... but the larger NanoStation M2 will work as long as you turn the power to minimum. Again, read the link that I provided and you will be fine.

Best wishes with your project.

Cheers,
Gene

Man, I have to admin it, you are an incredible resource of knowledge, respect.

Well I bought the NanoStation M2 to be sure 100% that i will not have problems with distance :manhappy:

When you say:

This is meant for more Desktop PC's right ?

If i want to connect more wireless devices i connect them directly on the NanoStation, right ?

Thanks again very much!!!
SuperUser
Bean_Planter

If i want to connect more wireless devices i connect them directly on the NanoStation, right ?

The NanoStation has only one Ethernet port. You will run Shielded Cat-5 cable (the use of STP is essential to protecting your equipment from electrostatic discharge damage during lightning storms) from that Ethernet port to an Ethernet switch in your collaborator's homes.

From there, you may connect any device that you choose. The UBNT radio will serve a private IP address to anything that you connect to the switch.

Alternately, you may plug in a WiFi router (with Ethernet ports) rather than a switch. However...since you are using 2.4 GHz to connect with the central AP, you may see performance problems (it is unknown at this time if you will or will not) because they will operate on nearby channels.

Thank you for your very kind words. Best wishes in your project.

Cheers,
Gene
NEW FORUM MEMBERS:
wadio87

OK, so in order to allow wireless devices to connect to the nanoStation i will also buy an access point and connect it to every Nano, right ?
One important question: those computers, will get the IP from MY router, right ?
SuperUser
Bean_Planter

Yes, you will need a SOHO Wi-fi router (like the UBNT AirRouter) for each NanoStation. See diagram below.

Computers that are connected to the SOHO Wi-fi router can receive their IP addresses from the SOHO Wi-fi router (the easiest way) -or- from your DHCP server (if you know how to set them up as "bridges"). It is your choice because there are several ways to do it.

Cheers,
Gene
NEW FORUM MEMBERS:
NanoStation and SOHO Router.png
wadio87

Perfect Bean! I will definitely go with the Bridge solution :manhappy:
I really hope that all this will work fine :manhappy:
Thank again very very much for your incredible support!!!!!!
wadio87

Dear Bean Planter, installation is finished, and it has worked all like a charm!!!!!!!!!
Thanks a lot for your great support!