Condomain

PicoStation M2HP setup instructions

I'm trying to figure out how to set up and configure a PicoStation M2HP to serve as an WiFi access point. I purchased the station from CyberGuys because the product description made it sound like a plug and play device: "Setup couldn't be easier: just plug a single network patch cable into the weather-proof enclosure." I wish it were that simple.

Abbreviated instructions on the outside of the box directed me to the ubnt website for operational instructions. I have scoured the site and have yet to find a set of basic instructions suitable for someone who is lacks IT experience beyond basic control panel navigation.

If such step-by-step instructions exist on the site, please direct me to that location.

Thanks!
SuperUser
WHT
Kudos: 5682
Solutions: 125

Re: PicoStation M2HP setup instructions

www.ubnt.com > Support > Wiki
While the Pico M2 is an AirMax radio using AirOS 5, you'll find lots of set up info for AirOS 3. Just make sure you turn off AirMax under far left tab and use 20 MHz channel width.,
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
Condomain

Struggling with information overload

I found the AirOS 3.4 configuration manual, which is simply overwhelming. It's way too much information for someone at my level.

What I need is a nuts and bolts step-by-step guide to setting up. Once I get that done, then maybe I can sort out the details. Specifically, I need to know where on the ubnt website to find such a guide.

If that basic level of documentation doesn't exist, then I'll have to request an RMA and ship the product back for a refund.

Thanks for any and all help.
SuperUser
WHT

In Network tab, set the radio's IP info to fit your network info.
In Wireless tab, select AP and 20 MHz channel width.

Enjoy.....
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"

SuperUser
WHT

www.ubnt.com/support/downloads/utilities is a Discovery Tool to find your radio on your wired network.

Condomain

Back to basics...

Thanks, but you have to realize that I am starting at zero knowledge. It was my understanding that this device could be connected to an open port on a wireless router to serve as a power-boosted antenna. Obviously, that was way too simplistic an interpretation on my part, but not unreasonable, considering the product info for PicoStation provided by CyberGuys on their order website.

Here's what I'm trying to do: I have a wireless network set up in one building, and would like to access that network in second building on my property that is too far away to pick up the signal from the wireless network in the first building.

Do I plug the cable into my computer's Ethernet port to configure the antenna? If so, how do I then broadcast the wifi signal via the antenna? Does the antenna require a dedicated computer?

Would I be better off splitting the signal from the first building and running a coaxial cable to the second building and setting up a second modem and wireless router? Or daisy-chaining a second router?
Established Member
shgadwa
Kudos: 58

Depending on distance, I think picostation is not what you are looking for.
How far away is the second building? Picostation only works for 100 meters.
LostInChina
Kudos: 6

Thanks, but you have to realize that I am starting at zero knowledge. It was my understanding that this device could be connected to an open port on a wireless router to serve as a power-boosted antenn....

Long way to go but it looks you are impatient.
Start your reading here but I don't mean you follow the numbers. Just to understand what an AP is.

www.ubnt.com/wiki/Simple_AP_Setup
LostInChina
Kudos: 6

Condomain

Thanks!

Not so much impatient as frustrated. I've been researching the solution intermittently for more than a month, and I've had a person much more
tech-savvy than me throw in the towel on the setup challenge.

FYI, the second building is less than 200 feet from the antenna location.

Thanks for the two links to basic information. I really appreciate your help.
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Matt
Kudos: 2433
Solutions: 62
Contributions: 39

Hi,
This might also help:
youtu.be/40gRLL2B6Vs?hd=1
toalex

hello to everyone,I have two picostation M2HP antenas,and I want to setup both of them to give me signal,what settings I must do?I have also TP-LINK WIRELLES ROYTER,THANK YOU.:icon_rolleyes:
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Salvador
Kudos: 612
Solutions: 173
Contributions: 139

Hi toalex,
Do you want to do a point-to-point link between them or just set up both devices to act as Access Point independently?
If you want to set up a point-to-point link, please take a look to this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=__xzHnK6IVs. In case you just want to set up an Access Point, please watch the video that Matt posted.
¿Hablas español? Conoce nuestro foro de Ubiquiti en español - usamos la Ñ!
toalex

Hello my friend UBNT-Salvador.I want both of my picostation to have at both of them signal and I want to know what settings I must do to the first picostation and what settings I must do with the second picostation,thank you so much my friend.(probably I want to set up both devices to act as Access Point independently.
SuperUser
WHT

Time to post a drawing.

toalex

MATT can you also help me?thank you
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Matt

Are they both connected by Ethernet, or are you trying to configure one as a Repeater?
toalex

they are connected by ethernet
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Matt

they are connected by ethernet

I would use the video I posted above, except change the frequency on each device (put one on channel 1, and the other on channel 11).

Also, if you want to see the separately when you do a wireless scan, you'll want to change the SSID of each to be different (this is what you'll see in the wireless scan).

Other than that everything else should be similar.

-Matt
SuperUser
WHT

toalex....

From what you are asking and how you are asking leads me to believe your understanding of wireless is very limited.

We could end up asking fifty questions and still not understand what you are asking. A drawing would help.

Is this what you are trying to do in the attached drawing?

temp.png