Emerging Member
derbynet_Jacob
Kudos: 3

RocketM5 GPS Firmware

We recently received some rocketM5 GPS units. We like the idea of the poe passthrough on these devices, and would possibly like to make use of it in certain situations. However, we require a custom firmware image (built with the ubnt SDK) to be able to use the rocket devices in our network. These rockets ship with a firmware version that is not available anywhere else. (5.4.1?!)

Loading up our current custom firmware, which is based on v5.3, I have noticed that we do not have the poe passthrough checkboxes. What is worse, there is no indication that the gps will work at all with this older firmware!

on a whim, I loaded up the stock v5.3.2 firmware image, only to find that the same issues are still present in that version as well. This means that we can not upgrade older hardware to gps devices in places we'd like to, until we get an sdk for v5.4.1. Judging by how long it is taking to get an SDK for v5.3.2, (almost a month at this point!) this is not looking good.

On another topic, we do still want to test the gps devices. however, we don't know much about them and would like to be able to turn the gps portion of them off in firmware if need be. There does not appear to be a way to do that on the webpage. If, for example, we begin using the gps in an area which we should not, simply on the learning curve, it would be nice if we could disable the airsync function until we are able to retrieve the gps devices for use in another location. We can not have devices that are not doing what we hope for them to do without a backup plan. The areas where gps would be useful are of course our busiest areas. If they fail to improve the area, despite whether it is the product themselves or our own failure to use them correctly, it would be nice to be able to simply check a checkbox and disable the gps.

We now have a box full of gps units we can not use, due to the issues above. We could possibly work around not being able to disable gps... but the lack of firmware makes these devices unusable for us.

by the way, is there a place to download 5.4.1 so that we could possibly re-upgrade the couple units we downgraded for testing?
Established Member
knightmb
Kudos: 139

Re: RocketM5 GPS Firmware

I noticed this too, glad I read this first, I was able to "downgrade" thinking maybe it was a beta-firmware loaded.

If I could copy the firmware off of mine, I would be glad to send it to you. Is that possible?
twinkletoes
Kudos: 612
Solutions: 1

5.4.1 is beta quality code. The next 5.4.x release will include various fixes which improve AirSync mode (and perhaps also ACK mode)

GPS/AirSync support will be merged into 5.5 at some point soon, and you will be able to use that 5.5 SDK in the future. It could be several months before you get to customize an SDK that includes AirSync support.

For now, you have to get 5.4.1 and newer 5.4.x images direct from ubiquiti. You may not see an SDK for 5.4.x. Contact Matt Hardy (matt@ubnt.com?) as numerous posts in this forum instruct people to do.

These images are custom images designed to support TX synchronization (AirSync) and are lacking some of or most of the changes between 5.3.2 and 5.3.

Ubiquiti is asking people with GPS hardware to get the images direct from Matt since they are only intended for GPS, they're not quite as useful for normal users as 5.3.2, and are lacking the new features from 5.5.

This is just to keep people from seeing 5.4.1 on the forum or support pages, getting confused and making their non-GPS hardware run poorly by downgrading to what is essentially a funky version of 5.3 (not 5.3.2).

Significant work is going into the next 5.4.x version to make Airsync mode work better in high noise environments, which are rather poor performers in 5.4.1.
Established Member
knightmb

Thanks for the reply. I had noticed that with AirSync enabled that no other M5 devices could connect to it, so I've just disabled it for now since I figured it was along the lines that it's not supported across all the firmwares yet.
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Matt
Kudos: 2092
Solutions: 50
Contributions: 39

We recently received some rocketM5 GPS units. We like the idea of the poe passthrough on these devices, and would possibly like to make use of it in certain situations. However, we require a custom firmware image (built with the ubnt SDK) to be able to use the rocket devices in our network. These rockets ship with a firmware version that is not available anywhere else. (5.4.1?!)

The SDK is not currently available for the v.4.1 AirSync firmware.

Loading up our current custom firmware, which is based on v5.3, I have noticed that we do not have the poe passthrough checkboxes. What is worse, there is no indication that the gps will work at all with this older firmware!

Yes, AirSync, and POE passthrough for the Rocket M GPS devices was not added until v5.4.1, so anything prior to this will not have support for these options.

On another topic, we do still want to test the gps devices. however, we don't know much about them and would like to be able to turn the gps portion of them off in firmware if need be. There does not appear to be a way to do that on the webpage. it would be nice to be able to simply check a checkbox and disable the gps.

This is available in v5.4.1 (where AirSync support was added). With the AirSync firmware, you have the option to enable/disable AirSync (a checkbox). If you disable AirSync it functions as a standard AirMax AP.

If you need the latest firmware, please email me (matt@ubnt.com) and I can send it to you.

Thanks,
Matt
Established Member
knightmb

Where would we go to post bug reports? Mine already came with v5.4.1 and we've set it up on a tower to test. Have a bunch of bugs to report for it.
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Matt

Where would we go to post bug reports? Mine already came with v5.4.1 and we've set it up on a tower to test. Have a bunch of bugs to report for it.

Can you email me (matt@ubnt.com) and let me know what issues you're seeing?

Thanks for the reply. I had noticed that with AirSync enabled that no other M5 devices could connect to it, so I've just disabled it for now since I figured it was along the lines that it's not supported across all the firmwares yet.

You'll need to load v5.4.1 on all APs and CPEs. If you don't load v5.4.1 on your CPEs, AirSync will not work. Can you send me an email so I can get you the latest version?

Thanks,
Matt
Established Member
knightmb

Can you email me (matt@ubnt.com) and let me know what issues you're seeing?

You'll need to load v5.4.1 on all APs and CPEs. If you don't load v5.4.1 on your CPEs, AirSync will not work. Can you send me an email so I can get you the latest version?

Thanks,
Matt

Oh, ok. Yeah, I'll do that, the CPE are all using the 5.3 still. In that case, these bugs might not be valid if it's the firmware difference causing the issue. I'll e-mail you right now and test the AP and CPE all using the same firmware version before complaining about any bugs, hehe.
Emerging Member
derbynet_Jacob
Kudos: 3

matt,

if we deploy m5 gps rockets with older v5.3 or even 5.2.1 (or hopefully soon 5.3.2) firmware, which does support the gps unit, will the devices work without airsync? Having custom firmware is absolutely vital to our deployments.

We could, however, deploy these units in areas we want to use gps units at a later date, but with older firmware. Then, when the correct firmware becomes available we could simply switch the new firmware in and begin using the gps features. Is this possible?
Ubiquiti Employee
UBNT-Matt

matt,

if we deploy m5 gps rockets with older v5.3 or even 5.2.1 (or hopefully soon 5.3.2) firmware, which does support the gps unit, will the devices work without airsync? Having custom firmware is absolutely vital to our deployments.

We could, however, deploy these units in areas we want to use gps units at a later date, but with older firmware. Then, when the correct firmware becomes available we could simply switch the new firmware in and begin using the gps features. Is this possible?

Yes this is correct, you can use v5.3 on the GPS units, and they will function as standard Rockets.

-Matt
Established Member
knightmb

matt,

It does with the firmware that Matt can e-mail to you. I was testing just that scenario yesterday. The v5.3 firmware units work just fine with the Rocket M5 GPS as long as the air sync is turned off. I feel confident that you could deploy the Rockets first, leaving the air sync off until the firmware is released that supports the new GPS features.